Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - September/October 2021

There are tables like this explaining excess mortality due to COVID

1 Like

That looks high , to think just three years ago it did not even exist in humans (probably).

That is a good idea, but probably would get dismissed as fattist. The ageist tactic of vaccinating the elderly is more acceptable.

I guess my point is, where would the cut-off line be? And would it be by total weight, or just body fat percentage? And so on… But I agree, these Pfizers should be finishing off the oldies, especially the hesitant ones who think Pfizer is somehow the only safe one. And then when they’re done, we can concentrate on the kids.

It would be arbitrary as it has been by age. Probably based on BMI. First vaccines would be given to the morbidly obese and then gradually vaccinate downwards.

It would be mad to suddenly decide to vaccinate skinny people at the expense of the obese

Here is a crazy idea: Just follow the best practices that were employed by the dozens upon dozens of advanced nations that have vaccinated most of their citizens at this point. It is not rocket science - Start with first responders, then the most elderly + people that have specific underlying conditions that make them more at risk, then move your way down the age groups. That’s what they started doing with the 10 categories and when people over 50 were prioritized.

Instead, now they are just completely making it up as they go at this point. Heaven’s forbid, if there is ever a serious Delta outbreak, having 50% of the population partially vaccinated will not offer meaningful protection.

As has been the case from the get go, they are gambling that the numbers stay low. High marks on the front-end setting up contact tracing etc, but the complete lack of transparency and sporadic communication about strategy and supply for vaccines is rather frustrating at this stage of the game.

4 Likes

A pair of schools that I know of have cancelled all physical education courses, sports practices and clubs that involve physical activity for just over two weeks.

2 Likes

Damn, going all out…

Concerns were over reports of cardiac inflammation. Probably not a significant likelihood but imagine the proverbial shit hitting the proverbial fan is a kid collapses a week after taking the covid shot.

They’ve also assured parents that ambulances will be outside the school the day of vaccinations and have already scheduled schooling from home (online) the following day.

1 Like

I thought they were doing it on Fridays anyways. My kids’ schools are doing it last period on Friday. They just canceled the last class. They didn’t say anything about PE, but I didn’t ask.

But this is just another vaccination. Kids get vaccinated all the time. Maybe they do this with all the vaccines but we didn’t notice?

They’re vaccinating kids. Any further logic goes out the window.

3 Likes

Madness. I was hiking the day after my shot and I’m 55. Admittedly I regretted that decision but it didn’t actually kill me.

Taiwanese kids are so mollycoddled. :grandpa:

3 Likes

They don’t give a flying fck about the kids - that much is already clear. Strenuous exercise after vaccination is a known risk for cardiovascular complications in young people, and TPTB are terrified they’ll be sued if too many kids die or end up in hospital (or even worse, it’ll put people off getting their booster shots). There was a report a while back of an entire cycling team hospitalized with myocarditis after vaccination.

2 Likes

I was straight down the gym after my shot.

But nobody’s going to sue them if you pop your clogs. Old codger died of a heart attack while exercising? Meh.

2 Likes

Doctor’s orders. Apparently with good reason, but still, I would think two days would be closer to enough, at least for moderate exercise after that:

My wife would give them a reward.

4 Likes

Looks like 2nd shot of Moderna for 70+ was announced in todays presser. Cant see any link yet.

Right. I had my vaccination into my bicep while I was actually on the weights machine.

5 Likes