Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - September/October 2021

Just noticed a LINE message that says appointment can be made for 2nd shots until 29th. But trying to login I just get that message “The service is currently not available, please make an appointment during the service period![DW03][bap42]”
and the text (in red) seems to be outdated, referring to 22 Sept.
Anyone managed to make an appointment? How?

Check out the second shot thread. We’ll figure this out.

2 Likes

Aha, thanks, I wasn’t yet aware of that thread. Here, right?

1 Like

Yes.

Both of my teens (15 & 17) got their 1st Pfizer shot today :+1:
No NHI

4 Likes

Is this true? If so, what could happen to these folks?

1 Like

What fucking idiots. Sounds like no severe reactions so far, but they definitely could sue for malpractice.

2 Likes

A quick google search seems to say they’ll be OK but they are going to have more side effects.

1 Like

The hospital was duly punished:

“The New Taipei Health Department has suspended En Chu Kong Hospital from administering vaccines for a week as punishment for the mishap…”

3 Likes

I wish I could say I’m surprised … but I have experienced idiots at Taiwan’s hospitals before. Notably a doctor who failed to diagnose my tonsilitis–hardly a rare and exotic disease.

2 Likes

You got off easy. Maternity care almost killed my baby by letting a sick delivery nurse infect her with pneumonia when she was 4 days old and then misdiagnosing her as just having allergies the first few days. Then she was quarantined in NICU for a couple weeks. She’s okay today, but I swear I still have PTSD about it. We definitely could’ve sued, but hard to take on hospitals, especially as a foreigner and we just wanted to move on.

10 Likes

its staff thought the vaccine was already diluted after caps had fallen off the vials

Caps just spontaneously fall off the vials.

2 Likes

Hospital-meandering ghosts? :thinking:

Yeah, I doubt anything serious will happen - it just means that the people will have received 5x the intended dose, which is almost certainly within the margin of safety. It seems to be something the manufacturer considered as well - just checked, and the accidental administration of the undiluted solution is listed on some of the data sheets. I’m sure it’s happened before somewhere in the world. Probably many times.

Sketchy that the hospital staff were clueless enough to do this to 25 people before noticing, though. It sounds like they administered each undiluted vial to a single person rather than 5-6 people. (And then binned the other one-third of each vial, unless they were combining vials to conserve vaccine, which they shouldn’t have been doing but wouldn’t surprise me.)

On the plus side, at least Taiwan has increased its doses administered by 150 or so. :partying_face:

2 Likes

That’s kind of weird, the site improved but the 2 days registering time is absurd.

It’s weird, Taiwan undoubtedly has a very good health care system, but it also has some very incompetent people working for the health care system. I had issues getting my ear infection (was causing really bad ringing) properly diagnosed as well–took four different doctors until FINALLY one realised what the problem is. I still have ringing in my ears, half makes me wonder if the first doctor diagnosed the infection better, I may have gotten treated better and quicker …

Glad you daughter ended up OK. That must been an absolute nightmare.

1 Like

IIRC its not the first time that people have been ‘overdosed’. I think it happened in Taiwan some months back, but its also happened in Australia too.
Do the victims, errrr patients, get classified as having their two doses, with appropriate certificates as proof as well I wonder?

1 Like

It was. It still makes me angry. I noticed I was shaking a bit after I wrote that previous post. Luckily she doesn’t remember it!

It’s also weird how they throw antibiotics at you to treat viruses here.

5 Likes

290,910 doses given yesterday, of which 46,367 were second doses. 2,211,654 are now fully vaccinated.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/1isFNEck_V_GYNlh5ob_MQ

3 Likes

No, people are punished and are unable to get vaccines now. Dumb decision from the government. It’s a mistake, human error, but it should not take more than an hour to tell them, dilute.

1 Like