Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - September/October 2021

What does that mean? Anyone can mix vaccines and get a second shot of Pfizer when you had AZ?
No, after reading the article it’s clear.

Anyways, it’s weird that people younger and had their first AZ a week after me can’t book it a week after me now.

I don’t know why the news keeps calling it Pfizer BNT. I thought they were sending us the Fosun BNT? Are they actually sending Pfizer BNT this time?

It’s actually not anymore, it’s ‘Comirnaty’, but just lets call it Pfizer or BNT, it doesn’t twist the tongue. Anyways, every country seems to have their own (other) name for the same vaccine, makes it difficult.

Quick update on our situation. As it turns out, we learned that we are both considered category 9 (not because of our newborn), which is why we got pinged sooner than we expected. Frankly, we weren’t expecting any notification for a while, so getting the text message was a happy surprise for us. If you’re not in any of the priority categories, the wait will probably be a bit longer. Still, if we’re getting vaccinated, it means there is a lot more progress for people with young families.

1 Like

As you figured out, in Taiwan no you cannot.

AZ should be followed by AZ. And no second doses of BNT are currently being administered.

If it’s any consolation, your future booster shot will almost certainly be from the mRNA category, with 15 million Moderna shots on order for 2022 for this purpose.

Guy

1 Like

163,740 doses given yesterday, of which 134,132 were second doses. 3,601,681 are now fully vaccinated.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/PLfavtAcsfD-xzcIJkA-ng

6 Likes

I see 734,000 odd have had their first dose of Medigen. Everything has gone relatively quiet on Medigen coverage locally, did anyone else notice?

The only news I’ve seen is when New Zealand included it in their list of approved vaccines for non-citizens to enter the country.

But in the next while, expect BNT to be in the headlines as the numbers of vaccines arriving is enormous.

Guy

1 Like

They’re burying the bodies somewhere and then erasing the memories of those who saw them.

2 Likes

Ironic since non citizens cannot enter the country.

Dammit not even citizens can enter the country.
:wall:

2 Likes

Lots of vaccines are now arriving, including a shipment of 889,200 BNT vaccines received earlier today.

Minister Chen—always circumspect about such matters—reportedly mentioned in today’s press conference that two more shipments are coming tomorrow (Friday 10/8), with more BNT and some Moderna vaccines expected to arrive.

The Moderna is expected to be used for second doses, while the large amount of BNT being shipped may lead to the CECC “potentially opening it up to all people aged 12 and above who have not yet gotten a COVID-19 vaccine shot.”

Source: https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202110070013

Guy

5 Likes

Two shipments today.
Another 889,200 BNT arrived this morning.

And another 1.132,100 Moderna will arrive this evening. (And yes, I have a vested interest in this one as I am awaiting Shot no 2!!)

7 Likes

300,328 doses given yesterday, of which 258,607 were second doses. 3,875,036 are now fully vaccinated.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/ja1do8gVvb1CJnf4K2zwMg

1 Like

An 18 year old student of mine got his second shot today. I’m 51 and have only had one shot. Logic?

2 Likes

Seems they really did manage to get through the hump. It could have got really nasty if Delta broke out properly.

1 Like

What was the shot of?

If you had also selected Medigen (or AZ?) you would also be there too, as would I.

Guy

1 Like

Second shots of AZ for those over 18 years of age who have been vaccinated with the first dose of AZ by 22 July (inclusive) (i.e. born before 2003/10/15 (inclusive) will be available next week - see the link -

4 Likes

I assume it’s the vaccine that’s better for teenagers. I can’t recall the name. BNZ?

I had AZ for my first shot.

1 Like