Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - September/October 2021

One thing I cant get, is that there is hardly any debate on giving the BNT to kids in the media. I guess mindsets are really that different. I just feel its a colossal error if we are rushing to get a decent level of immunity before DELTA outbreak truly spreads in the community

6 Likes

Not really responding to any post here; I was just curious (and procrastinating on other stuff) and wanted to see how Taiwan is doing with the vaccine rate. Not good, but not terrible either. Partly vaccinated rate isn’t a disaster; fully vaccinated is comparatively very low.

Source: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccinations - Our World in Data

2 Likes

I’d still say the vaccination procurement was poor and full of a lot of mistakes. Partially we have circumvented some issues by decent response to outbreak which bought time and then mainly the donations.

Administering the vaccines has been good, but in general we will be a lot slower opening up than other countries.

3 Likes

Not disagreeing there. It’s just been one of those weeks when I’ve been seeing lots of doom and gloom about how awful Taiwan’s response has been. As I said above - for vaccines, not good, but not terrible either.

I remain gobsmacked that I was able to get AZ back in the spring just because there wasn’t much demand. Big failures for communication there.

I’m curious why New Zealand and Australia are doing so much better for fully vaccinated when their total percentage isn’t that much higher. Single-dose vaccines? Different roll-out process?

1 Like

Pfizer. Only a one month wait between jabs.

1 Like

Moderna is the same, it was the Taiwanese government that decided to make it a long wait.

2 Likes

I agree with the tedious doom and gloom stuff. Just partially at the root of it was the vaccine procurement. I understand that the CDC has had to be ultra-conservative as a reaction to not having enough vaccines and needing to buy time.

1 Like

Don’t worry - this is just round 1. When the definition of “fully vaccinated” gets revised to three, four, or five shots a few months from now, all of those dark green bars will reset to zero and we won’t be so far behind anymore. :neutral_face:

1 Like

But we’re mostly shooting AZ no?

It’s 2 to 1 ratio, but even AZ is only 8 weeks apart if you go by the manufacturers instructions.

1 Like

From Wikipedia: 60% of total doses AZ, 34% Moderna. Below are screenshots because I couldn’t quickly figure out how to share tables.

1 Like

Actually effectively making an appointment, you can not just walk in.

I’m 40, have asthma, need to travel to the UK for work, and I still haven’t been invited to get a shot

Did you actually register? I have younger friends than you who’ve already been vaccinated so I presume you’re eligible on the basis of age alone. Whose invitation are you referring to?

2 Likes

Just go onto 1922 and book a shot of AZ. What are you waiting for?

5 Likes

3 Likes

I’d be pretty unhappy if I were from Myanmar and I knew we were getting full vaccination later than the very definition of a failed state (Afghanistan). Then again, I heard the Taliban are totally against vaccines (maybe you can move there instead of Blighty, @finley ), so maybe that was an “optimistic” pre-collapse timeline.

1 Like

I’d be pretty unhappy if I were in Myanmar, period. It boggles the mind that some people actually believe that folks in countries like that give a monkey’s toss about COVID or vaccines. They have actual problems to worry about there.

I was seriously considering Sweden. Apparently immigration is possible. Not sure if I can cope with the weather.

3 Likes

Myanmar’s pretty close to being a failed state again, unfortunately. Hospitals understaffed because medical workers protested the coup and wound up in jail, etc.

(EDIT: Good chart @OrangeOrganics, thanks.)

2 Likes

Imagine the opposite of Taiwan and the Philippines. That’s Sweden. I don’t know how well you would fare there to be honest. I lived there briefly and wouldn’t recommend it. Find somewhere warm and more easy going and cheaper.

2 Likes