Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - September/October 2021

I’m quite confident that vaccines ordered will mostly arrive in Q4. I hope we can start hitting two million vaccinations per week

2 Likes

They were up to 250K or so daily a few weeks ago, so with supplies in hand the 2M per week should be workable, especially with BNT being done at schools.

1 Like

first doses

That too, but I am thinking of moi who has had one dose and is due for the second in about a month and there aint supply at present.

1 Like

It’s absolutely bonkers. This is the only place on earth that I know of that has decided to prioritize giving limited supply to the least vulnerable part of the population first.

It surely must be a political decision, though when it comes to anything vaccine-related I think it is quite reasonable to question the government’s judgment overall at this point.

4 Likes

I get the reasoning but we have to remember what the ultimate purpose of a vaccine is: to prevent the very worst outcomes, eg hospitalisation or death. The extremely high efficacy shown in initial data has given people the impression that vaccination will block transmission, but we clearly can see with Delta etc that is not the case.

Using sparse supply on the part of the population that is facing an extremely low probability of adverse outcomes makes no sense at all. Especially when the gov clearly has zero visibility into when additional supply will actually materialize.

4 Likes

Wonder if some of the donation are purchases but they can’t let the drug companies know.

Agree completely. Vaccinating with the goal of stopping transmission is completely misguided, especially when overall vaccination rates are so low.

Another thing to keep in mind is that whenever you alter your preferences in the registration system, it resets your registration date to that day…I added BioNtech to my preferences as soon as it opened up, and now my date has been reset to end of Aug. Even though I am willing to take AZ, if they do it the same way they did last time and go by date of registration, all the way down to 25 to boot, looks like I am going to have to wait longer still to get my first shot.

I really don’t get why they didn’t just continue with methodically going through the age groups, especially given how new supply continues to slowly trickle in. Honestly, I think it would have made more sense to make sure that people >50 got their second dose, lest things flair up for real the truly vulnerable have greater protection. They have kind of turned the whole thing into a lottery s show if you ask me. Largely motivated by political considerations rather than scientific ones.

3 Likes

The government is opening up the recent AZ shipments for those that are due their second doses.

4 Likes

As has been intimated above, the current strategy of prioritizing first shots may need a rethink. With delta and other variants, I believe second shots to the most vulnerable should be given a higher priority than first shots to those in the lowest risk groups. If the delta variant becomes widespread at this point it will be ugly with the vulnerable groups.

So the news article above is encouraging.

3 Likes

Australia has lowered the age down to 12 - Pfizer-BNT being the Vaccine.

Do we need to re-register for our second shot or can we just show up on the date listed on the vax card we got after the first shot?

This isn’t necessarily true. I registered for BNT on the day it opened but was still eligible for AZ when it opened up this round for people who registered before 7/19

From my own experience and what I have understood from the CECC press conferences, you have to go back through the system and make an appointment for the second shot. The date on the card is just the date you are eligible for second vaccination, not an actual appointment.

1 Like

Check with the hospital. I went to Taida and they told me when to go for the second shot. I know of a couple of people that had to make their own appointments in other hospitals but usually you must follow the 12 week rule and you can book anywhere.

2 Likes

Thanks I will!

125,135 doses given over the weekend, of which 7,667 were second doses. 981,871 are now fully vaccinated.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/AngaGN-p2H-3UGP35532PQ

4 Likes

Great

UBI is reapplying for EUA after giving Phase I trial participants a third shot. I find the titer numbers given against Delta for Medigen to be interesting they are significantly lower than the Moderna and Pfizer numbers.

2 Likes

高端盼明年外銷1億劑疫苗 現階段仍有「兩大障礙」待解決 | 全球疫情大流行 | 全球 | 聯合新聞網 Medigen want to sell 100 million shots on global market next year and expect to get accreditation from 3-5 countries.

6 Likes