Cory Booker 2020

I used to like Booker’s ideas, even when my liberal relatives from NY/NJ told me he was as bad as any politician in their area. When he started saying dumb things and crying and screaming whenever he saw a camera a few years ago, I figured he was intending to run for president and he hasn’t let up since then. However, he’s an odd duck. If you read his proposals or hear him in a longer form interview, he’s a real bright guy and makes a lot of sense. Andrew mentioned prison reform and marijuana and I will add that his actual proposals for gun reform aren’t terrible. Then…he gets in front of the camera and screams racism and oppression. I don’t know if he really believes anything that he says or simply realizes that’s what he needs to do to remain relevant in the polls.

Much of the above applies to Elizabeth Warren as well.

1 Like

I’m going to go with yes, he’s a believer. The identity politics thing is burning through the masses…well, the progressive left masses at any rate…like a religious conversion.

I think it’s all about power and he knows that. Good ideas don’t mean anything without the power to do anything. He isn’t an idiot from what I can tell, and he does seem like a decent person who wants thing to be better. But I think deep down, most politicians know they have to win the political game.

Booker knows he can’t win the nomination. He’s really running for a cabinet position.

Locked in the cupboard?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-21/booker-hints-at-ending-white-house-bid-as-fundraising-slumps?srnd=politics-vp

Hmmm. Heard this before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkyTIB9U4Xg

Probably best for all concerned, especially all Americans, if Booker goes ahead and quits. Not easy to do, but Booker nevertheless managed to show a side even uglier than Trump last fall, during the Kavanaugh confirmation hearings.

As an American, it was hard to watch a Rhodes scholar behave like a common Camden thug. At this point, Booker couldn’t get elected dog catcher outside New Jersey.

I just gained a little respect for Cory Booker looking at his expression while he watches this peabrain ask her question. :grin:

To me Cory seemed to be trying hard to race profile her so he could throw in some Spanish or other language in his response. … Buenos, gracias Juana Miller…

1 Like

Soon, quantum computers will be necessary to make these intersectional calculations.

Happened to be reading a book about
when Cory Booker made a cameo as newly elected something or other. He promptly raised property taxes by 8% and put the squeeze on his own constituents, many of whow did actually own homes, in an effort to remake Newark. It did not go well.

I’d prefer not to allow him to experiment on rural America:

“There is a common pain in our country that affects rural, urban, and suburban places alike — while some places are thriving, so many communities are being left out and left behind,” Booker said. “No one should have to leave their home to find economic opportunity in America.”

Booker did not specify what overall cost of his rural platform would be, nor how he plans to pay for it.

So, not exactly Reagan. :smoker:

Say what?!

That is a ridiculous statement by Booker. Economic migration within the US is a time honored rite of passage for many Americans.

So let’s say I’m a smart kid from Lambertville, NJ, pop 4,000. I go to Rutgers and study nuclear physics, gaining a PhD. While I’m sure Lambertville is chock filled with options for a post-grad in nuclear physics (that’s sarcasm), I suspect my chances of being professionally happy and financially successful rely on my leaving L ville.

Corey Booker is obviously in the business of generating Obama-empty aphorisms in order to spur a national drive to the White House, but not much else. Isn’t he a Rhodes scholar?

No. The government should build a nuclear reactor in your town so that you can live with moms.

That’s where things would end up if Booker were correct.

What a moronic statement by Booker, though. No wonder he can’t seem to catch fire among the Dems.

I would like to see Booker reflect and come back better. In interviews from the past few years, he appeared bright, plugged in and caring - obviously he went unhinged in the Kavanaugh hearing and tried to ride that to the nomination but it didn’t work. I could see him as a VP candidate.

1 Like

That’s all easy to fake.

Lambertville, NJ is near Princeton where are jobs for PHd’s . You need not move far or not at all, ha. Granted Lambertville is not Princeton, but close enough that people working in Princeton drive from there (and even across the River in PA).

He’s talking about rural Americans.

Sure, However, I think it’s more likely that he’s faking now.

The guy has a Stanford undergraduate, law degree from Yale and was a Rhodes Scholar. Interviews before the Kavanaugh hearings were rational and reasonable.

Buttigieg seems to be a reasonable guy who is playing the ‘insane leftist’ card whenever he dips in the polls. If Yang came out and screamed that Donald Trump hates Asian people and and people with autistic kids he would be polling at 12%.

I believe the same folklore you do but it’s not reality.

50% of the adult population lives within 30k of their mother and something like 60% live in their home state. People believe that others would move to find work but a relatively small percentage of people say they would do so themselves.