Cosmetics safety database

While looking for updates on the plasticizer situation, I found this:

[quote]Welcome! This site is packed with important health information about the cosmetics you - and your family – use every day. You’ll find product and ingredient safety ratings, health information about cosmetics ingredients and smart shopping tips you can trust.

Here’s how to use the database to find out exactly what you want to know:

Want to find out if your products are safe?

◦Look up a product. Enter its name in the white search window.
◦Look up an ingredient. If you want to know if a particular ingredient is safe or if you’re allergic or want to avoid it for other reasons, the database contains information about possible health concerns, which products contain it, other names — and a whole lot more.
◦Search by company. Want to know how a certain company stacks up? Search its name to see how its products rate.
◦Find safer alternatives. Pick a category (toothpaste? shampoo? mascara?) and peruse product ratings. Warning: goods in some categories, like hair relaxers, have uniformly high hazard scores.
[/quote]

ewg.org/skindeep/

ewg.org/skindeep/users-guide-to-skin-deep/

Very useful, even here in Taiwan, as international brands are readily available.

[quote=“Icon”]While looking for updates on the plasticizer situation, I found this:
ewg.org/skindeep/
ewg.org/skindeep/users-guide-to-skin-deep/[/quote]
Always curious about data related to what people put in or on their bodies i tried to check this out - but all i get are blank pages. I presume you’ve had better luck - maybe it’s a temporary glitch, so i’ll try agan tomorrow…
BTW, Wikipedia is also a very good first step for people looking for information about chemicals commonly used in skin care products and cosmetics. :wink:

No problem here. You really should check your computer settings!

The website has a search function, and you write the name of the product. Then, it shows a classification based on how dangerous it is -my medicated shampoo scores 10 for cancer, yipes! It lists and explains the content of the product, so in this case I could easily see sulphur is not good for health.

Thanks for the update… :slight_smile: (I’ll figure this out one day)

When trying a search i only get a blank page in return, but never mind, that’s apparently a problem at this end (i wanted to see what that database had to say about some commonly used chemcials that i have researched before, such as lauryl and laureth salts)…

And a timely reminder:
Computer support/advice available (god help me) and the reply to that which leads here: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2797685/

BTW (this is a tangent) your post reminded me of something that might be equally of interest to people who care about what they put on their skin:
naturalnews.com/025449_herbs … _care.html

And although i can’t find my notes from years ago, i’m sure that googling will bring up the benefits of these natural ingredients for cleaning/cleansing of skin and hair in case water alone is not enough (goes without saying that, where applicable, organically grown is best): apple, papaya, many other fruit (no specifics), cucumber, ginger, honey, oatmeal, milk, yogurt, sour cream, butter, cold pressed olive oil and other high quality oils from nuts or seeds, sea salt, beer
Also some traditional human-made ingredients, such as baking soda and bar soap (olive oil soap) with no “modern” ingredients (comparable to traditional middle-eastern and similar soaps - Aleppo, Nablus, Castilia, etc.)
Some recipes for “modern” soap at candleandsoap.about.com/od/soapr … recipe.htm.

(The obligatory testimonial: i don’t use anything more complicated than plain bar soap and oil, so i can’t vouch for any of the other mentioned ingredients)