Cost (Rent) for a 2-3 BR apt?

Heya folks,
could someone give me an estimate of the rent i’d expect to pay for a spacious(1000sq ft or more), unfurnished (except for basic white goods) 2-3 bedroom apartment that’s within 15-20min of the city centre? how about the cost of a similar apartment in Tianmu? Thanks for your help!

how about as a rough estimate…

geet loads :raspberry:

simakun: For a 1,000 sq. ft. apartment, 15-20 minutes (BY CAR or TRAIN?) from the city center the price would be between NT$3.6 mil and NT$12 mil., and in TienMu between NT$8 mil and NT$27.5 mil.

The range is so extreme in both places due to how much space you must buy in order to have 1,000 sq. feet of usable space. Although 1,000 square feet (~30 pings) remains constant, the amount of public space you have to pay for depends on how the building is designed and how old or new it is and whether they force you to buy their parking space(s) as well.

At the bottom range are old (15-40 years) buildings with no elevator, parking, lobby or any public space or land besides the stairs in a suburb no Taiwanese like and perhaps on a floor that you have to walk up to.

At the top end are new buildings with facilities (pool, squash and tennis courts, basketball court, parking (2 spaces), indoor golf hitting area, public use movie theater, children’s play area, huge lobby and garden, etc. You will not only pay a high price per ping for these buildings you will most likely have to pay for 50 or 55 pings to get 30 pings of usable space in your home. That goes for both areas, TienMu and the close-in burbs.

Yes, here they count the entire external floor plan in the “ping count”. My 35-ping apartment in Tien Mu was only 31 pings for a start, and about 27 pings when you subtracted the interior walls. That’s 288 square feet less than advertised.

Hobart and Hex, the OP’s question was about the cost of renting an apartment.

No matter … for 2-3 bedrooms it should be 20-30k monthly for an average place. There is lots of variation depending on the apartment and area. I would suggest you look at loads before you make you final decision as there are so many available.

Good luck!

teggs

Damn…Teggs, you are right! I would delete the post, but maybe someone else would find it helpful.

thanks for the advice everyone. i was thinking of something that was a quick commute to the centre by public transportation. it’s good to know that there’s a fair amount of supply on the rental market. i really dislike competing for a place to live.

i’ve looked high and low in this forum for a definition of “ping” but to no avail. can anyone tell me how much is 1 ping in sq feet or sq metres?

It is helpful… and btw, I made the same mistake you did and thought the OP was asking about purchases, too

30K as a high-end of the rental range is lower than I was hoping. I have a 2 bedroom 36 ping (34 ping usable space) around the border of Da-an and Xinyi districts in Taipei, and I am hoping to rent it out (furnished - white goods) in the next couple of months. Was hoping the rental range is much higher than that. After I talk to some realtors, I’ll come back and about what they think

You didn’t look high enough - look here: [Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 261#197261](Buying farmland - #12 by robert_storey

[quote=“simakun”]Heya folks,
could someone give me an estimate of the rent I’d expect to pay for a spacious(1000sq ft or more), unfurnished (except for basic white goods) 2-3 bedroom apartment that’s within 15-20min of the city centre? how about the cost of a similar apartment in Tianmu? Thanks for your help![/quote]
The prices are all over the place. Bottom line is that if you want to live in downtown Taipei (beyond my imagination) you will pay 3-6 times what you will pay just a few minutes by MRT out of the metro area. We pay 15k in Bancaio for a 1 bedroom highrise with a nice view. We will be moving shortly to the Tuchen area to a highrise with 3 bedroom, 2 bath and all the nice things that one wants in an apartment. - same price. So, get out of the metro area and enjoy fresher air and cheaper more comfortable accomadations. Tianmu wont do that for you. Of course, this is just my opinion but the rents there have always pissed me off. I have a nice place , on a “soon to open” MRT and I also have a rural life that I enjoy. Now I know there are MANY who love living in the mix of things and - so be it. Not me. if you want a nice life and convenient (1/2 hour) commute to Tianmu, get out of town.