Costco: Sells One China Globes (See Hobart's post below)

Who runs Costco Taiwan?

• Pro-China KMT member?
  • Communist China?
  • Insensitive American Expat?
  • Some Taiwan guy that just doesn’t care?

0 voters

Just went over to Costco for lunch and I almost puked up my chicken roll when I saw that they are selling globes portraying China and Taiwan as the same country. The globes Made in China of course seem to me an insult to the people of Taiwan. How could Costco be so insensitive?

Is Costco run by the Pro-China KMT? Communist China? Insensitive American or just someone who doesn’t care. Why don’t people complain to Costco? I can’t believe I am the only one that saw this.

Sad indeed and Costco should be forced to remove this insult from their shelves.

Insensitive American Expat?

This choice is far too inviting.

Hobart did you contact the management?

I haven’t contacted the manager yet. I will go back tonight with a person who can write Chinese more fluently than myself and file and offical complaint, then see what happens.

Why would you think “Insensitive American Expat”? Much more likely is a “dumbsh*t from Pingtung”. From what I’ve seen, Costco has been going downhill for the past year. It looks to me like they had an American come in to set up operations who then left as soon as all management was “localized”. All we’re seeing is the inevitable effects of “Taiwanization”.

blueface666, why do you say that Costco has been going downhill for the past year? Not trying to change the topic just wondering…

And FYI, there are many foreigners working in the main office in Nei-Hu most of whom are Americans.

Hobart, let us know what becomes of your complaint, I would be interested in knowing what their response is.

[quote=“Alleycat”]Insensitive American Expat?

This choice is far too inviting.[/quote]

Me too.

Actually, I run Cotsco! Got a problem buddy?:wink:
I have signed a deal with the Mainland to gradually brainwash Taiwan into believing that it belongs to China. Pretty soon you will see things like this in every store that I supply. Soon ICRT is to become ICRC. Take a look at your car plates - Taiwan Province, another little idea of mine.:smiling_imp:
When I finally catch up with the Treasury NTD will be RMB. :wink:

But why on earth would that cause you, a foreigner in Taiwan, to choke and spit the dummy, let the Taiwanese have a crack at this one, that is if they really give a …

The last time I looked at an official map of the ROC it included the mainland as part of the ROC, but I haven’t seen one in years. Take a look at this link. In August 2002 the ROC government was considering removing Mongolia from the ROC map!

taiwanheadlines.gov.tw/20020 … 820p3.html

[quote=“jeff”]The last time I looked at an official map of the ROC it included the mainland as part of the ROC, but I haven’t seen one in years. Take a look at this link. In August 2002 the ROC government was considering removing Mongolia from the ROC map!

taiwanheadlines.gov.tw/20020 … 820p3.html[/quote]

See, it cuts both ways.
How on earth the ROC could possibly have the gall to include China in the ROC territory is beyond me.
Taiwan should have taken the deal it was given a long time ago to become Taiwan and not the ROC, but pig headedness prevailed and now we have the situation that exists today.

[quote=“JeffG”]blueface666, why do you say that Costco has been going downhill for the past year? Not trying to change the topic just wondering…

And FYI, there are many foreigners working in the main office in Nei-Hu most of whom are Americans.
[/quote]

I find the product selection has dropped. More and more are local products I can buy anywhere. In addition, the general atmosphere…it’s not as clean or orderly as it once was. About the foreign staff. Lot’s of companies here have foreign staff…but that means nothing if the management iteslf is local. Who knows, maybe the manager is a foreigner…and he’s “gone native”! :smiley:

As far as I know, students here are still taught that China is part of Taiwan or vice versa. Check the textbooks and see if those maps are any different from the one on the globe. I bet they aren’t.

Can you home deliver 10 lbs. of pepper cheese, chop-chop?:smiley:

[quote=“blueface666”][quote=“Boss Hogg”]

Actually, I run Cotsco! Got a problem buddy?:wink:
[/quote]

Can you home deliver 10 lbs. of pepper cheese, chop-chop?:D[/quote]

We now have a hefty delivery charge and you must sign a contract stating that you support a PRC take over of Taiwan by any means. You must also be willing to work as a secret agent for Cotsco PRC.

Do you still want the cheese?

[quote=“Boss Hogg”]You must also be willing to work as a secret agent for Cotsco PRC.
[/quote]

Cooool! Do I get a secret glow-in-the-dark decoder ring? If so, send the cheese! :laughing:

The globe was probably made by a Taiwanese company relocated to Shanghai. :smiley:

Maybe the cartographer is an American. They, at least a large number of them, are, as you no doubt know, infamous for their appalling lack of geographic knowledge about lands outside of north America, and, if you have watched Leno’s street quizzes you will know of what I speak, very often about North America, too.

The conversation went something like this:

Taiwan?

You mean Thailand.

Yes, Thailand.

North or South?

:smiling_imp:

Hey on the same note, where can you get Late night with Jay Leno and other late night talk shows in Taiwan?

I don’t think one can at this satge. But things are looking up indeed.

taipeitimes.com/News/biz/arc … /15/191099

Does anyone know where exactly the new Digital Cable Service will be available?

The TT article says six cable operators will offer this service in Taipei. Which six?

Poor reporting, I’d say.

[quote=“Alleycat”]Maybe the cartographer is an American. They, at least a large number of them, are, as you no doubt know, infamous for their appalling lack of geographic knowledge about lands outside of north America, and, if you have watched Leno’s street quizzes you will know of what I speak, very often about North America, too.

The conversation went something like this:

Taiwan?

You mean Thailand.

Yes, Thailand.

North or South?

:smiling_imp:[/quote]

OH MY GOD… that was the exact conversation I had with half of my pals back in the states when we moved here… Except is was… “I hear the beaches there are nice!”

The other half (who knew the name Taiwan) either a) did not know where it was, b) thought it was part of China it is the ROC right? c) thought this is the place all the crappy toys come from or d) all of the above.

I guess I am just not surprised that both China claims Taiwan as part of its territory… and that Taiwan claims China… Oh well, if Lien or Soong wins in 2004 we will all be riding the Iron Rooster back to China anyway! :smiling_imp: