Costco Thread 2020

Why? :tired_face:

1 Like

The nut butter stuff is good.

It’s not Skippy though, which has been out of stock in the pair of Costcos I visit for the past six (?) weeks.

This happens occasionally; I think the last long stretch of doing without was in 2018, iirc. It’s always come back to Costco Taiwan, so keeping fingers crossed here.

Yeah I broke down and bought a tub. I’m a big fan of peanut butter, and all my life I’ve enjoyed an occasional tablespoon or three eaten straight out of the tub. The nut butter stuff is just ok all by itself (it’s very good on bread or celery, though), and already I can taste that the oil is oxidizing and will soon go rancid. I do think it’s better than nothing, though.

RT Mart has Skippy, but it’s kind of pricey.

Costco XiZhi has it, smaller twin packs

A lot of the SEA stores carry Skippy. Didn’t look at the price but most stuff in those stores is cheap.

Anyone knows why there’s always someone at the exit of Costco who “checks” your cart and strikes your receipt down?
They do it so fast that there’s not enough time to really see anything…

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/why-does-costco-check-receipts-when-people-leave-the-store.html/

5 Likes

Google has a few answers (I also wondered about this before).

But yeah, I almost always have everything in a couple of backpacks when I’m leaving the store so they just very quickly mark the receipt with their pen - it’s pretty pointless in my case (and I’m not unpacking everything again).

2 Likes

I thought that could be the reason, but unless their employees have x-ray vision, they don’t take check item by item.
I guess it’s just for show…

1 Like

Oh, I think I read they might also be making sure that nobody walks out with a 100,000 TWD television or other expensive item, but I guess that’s not much of an issue in Taiwan.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s more like it.
Points 3 and 4 in the article you shared makes more sense than “helping customers to not be overcharged”

More specifically, however, another elaborated that Costco employees are checking for the following things when customers leave the store:

1. A code on the top and bottom of the receipt that changes daily so employees know the receipt was, indeed, printed that day.
  2. The item count on the bottom of the receipt to make sure there were no under or over charges.
  3. High-end items such as jewelry, stamps, electronics, or items over $300, which need supervisors’ initials on them.
  4. Large items like tissue and water, which have various signifiers on the receipt to ensure final checks include a look at the bottom of the basket.
1 Like

Sure, it’s all bullshit, but that’s the policy reason

1 Like

Kirkland Signature 7yo Tennessee whiskey is back. Finally.

Phone pic sucks, sorry. Price is 959 for a 1L bottle. 51.5 ABV.

2 Likes

Beitou Costco today. When I say “back”, that’s in comparison to my last visit a couple of months ago.

• Kirkland Signature Anejo Tequila, which I haven’t noticed before. Has good reviews. Bought a bottle. I may remember to report later, but since I’ve never bought a bottle of tequila before, my report wouldn’t be worth much.
  • Kale has gone. That was mildly disappointing. I’ve been enjoying that for stews and soups.
  • None of the British cheddar that I’ve been buying regularly for the past few years. That was very disappointing and I hope it’s just a temporary departure.
  • Still none of the Tillamook pepper jack that I loved, but it’s been gone a long long time now. (At least an inferior pepper jack has reappeared in Carrefour - I couldn’t find any for a while.)
  • Hungarian salami, spicy and non-spicy, back in stock.
  • Boxes of Kirkland beer are back. The summer set: APA, IPA, Pilsner, Session Ale.
  • Kirkland French Vodka still in stock, and suspect I should have bought a bottle because that does disappear for long stretches, but I’d already put enough booze in the cart.

4 Likes

The Kirkland anejo tequila is fantastic!

1 Like

Please let’s talk about Kirkland praline pecans… Costco are you LISTENING?!

How do you drink it? Do you sip it, or is it cocktails for you?

Since it’s KS I’d be pretty sure it’s legit anejo.

Policy.

In Korea they actually do a tremendous job of this. I used to go with a colleague who had picked up a case of bottled water that hadn’t been charged (ticket checker found it) and on another instance, had been overcharged (rang up 2x) for some random item that the person at the door also discovered. In Taiwan, I don’t know that I’ve ever had a person even glance at my cart (especially as spendy items are already packed in my backpack).

1 Like