Costco Thread 2020

Don’t know, the ones I’ve bought in Wellcome have usually been 49 TWD for 3 or 4 (I think that was a special offer, but it seems to be a frequent one). The ones I’ve bought in Costco were something like 99 TWD (or less than 100 TWD, anyway) for 8.

It doesn’t seem that expensive to me, anyway, and my main point was that it wouldn’t cost 1000 TWD unless you’re cooking for a military unit or rugby team or something.

Just tried making margaritas with it. Whee! I’m not totally sure if these are GOOD margaritas, but they have definitely been interesting margaritas with a lot more complexity than I’m used to in that drink.

1 Like

I thought that tequila is sweet and spicy. Very dangerous.

cant get it in taiwan anywhere. been looking for years

Years ago when I was in Korea, the taoekwondo coach from Mexico came to our little place (my roommate was a former athlete) with a good bottle of tequila. We had salt in a plate which we dipped a finger into for our sips of tequila. No lemon. Just sipping all night with some salt. It was excellent.

1 Like

I asked Costco about the big can of tomato puree and they said only Xizhi store have it. Anyone live by there who can check this out for me?

Bought once, didn’t finish it. Not my cup of tea.

You can get the same size Costco Skippy peanut butter at Carrefour, but Jif brand. I find little difference if any at all between the two.

Has anyone tried the pre-mixed bottled Margarita drink? Wondering if it’s alright, or super sweet like I expect it might be.

Yeah, sounds kind of ashram-y for my tastes

Ok so I went to Costco for the 1st time today, in Zhonghe. I must say I found it underwhelming.

They do have a lot of big box stuff. But how many times are you going to keep buying appliances? I found the specialty foods section pretty lacking. For example - soup. They had only 2 varieties: clam chowder and one more. Seriously? Don’t people like any more varieties here?
The pasta and seasonings section too was underwhelming. I’ve seen more variety at Carrefour and Jason’s.

Wine section is good. Big appliances - ok. But nothing that you wouldn’t find at any 3C. The robotic and manual vacuum sections - again just 1 variety (LG).

Clothes section was too small. I guess Net or Uniqlo serves me better.
Is it the same at other Costco locations? What’s the major appeal of Costco for you guys ?

Taiwanese aren’t that into canned soup or canned food.

Why buy canned when soup is being sold on every street in the country?

I think Costco here offers basically the same variety of products you would find in any supermarket here but in bulk quantities.

Variety is lacking.

1 Like

Canned soup isn’t something Taiwanese are into…

Costco’s return policy is top notch. They’re not famous for their variety; Costco is famous for the value it offers members. AFAIK it’s the only place in Taiwan to buy in bulk coconut oil, butter, American cheese, American bacon, and American pork hot dogs. They offer whole milk from California at a great price. Heavy whipping cream is the cheapest I’ve ever seen here. Liquor values are very good, too.

All but the last are family staples, or can be.

5 Likes

Liquor and cheese I can see. But what are you doing with bulk buying of coconut oil, etc. do you have that much place to store so much bulk items in Taiwan’s home?

I agree that Costco is meant for wholesale but With so many other stores nearby i just found it less appealing. Maybe this was just due to my 1st visit, let’s see. But is Costco in the US too not known for stocking variety?

price wise : Costco is a better option for dairy products, frozen foods and meats, I found them cheaper compared to other options.
as for the rest, you can find cheaper / better outside.
the return policy is a big plus too.

Obviously not everyone is buying 10 L drums of oil, but it’s good for certain things that are difficult to find/pricey elsewhere, and for a few novelty items. For me those things are:

• Frozen blueberries (big 2.27 kg bags - good for smoothies, and much cheaper than buying blueberries elsewhere)
  • Frozen other random berries, or fresh berries to freeze at home (again, much cheaper than elsewhere)
  • Minced beef (for pasta sauce/burgers - haven’t seen this anywhere else (but haven’t really looked, or needed to, as I know I can go to Costco))
  • Cheddar cheese (cheaper than elsewhere) and occasionally other cheeses like goat’s cheese/mozzarella/halloumi
  • Orange juice (can get elsewhere of course, but I find it more convenient and cheaper than always lugging bottles back from Wellcome)
  • Milk (nice to have the large cartons sometimes, and pretty cheap)
  • Yoghurt
  • Pasta (6x bags, good to have in stock at home)
  • Tinned stuff like tomatoes/tuna etc. (ditto)
  • Ketchup (3x large bottles, as I go through quite a lot of ketchup)
  • Random other things occasionally, like salami/chocolate/breaded mozzarella sticks/cookies/cherries
2 Likes

They don’t have big bottles of tomato paste except at certain stores it seems. But if your store happens to have it, it’s really cheap. I don’t think I have seen ground beef cheaper elsewhere…

No, it’s their business model, limiting variety, having some products on sale once, like appliances. They got a good offer from the manufacturer and don’t overcharge their members, and this way they can offer a fantastic return policy, until you misuse it.

1 Like

I also go through a lot of ketchup. Be on the look out, sometimes they have Heinz ketchup in 3.2kg cans for about 150 NTD. I think it’s a slightly better price than the bottles.

What do you guys put so much ketchup on? Those are some large quantities. I pretty much only put it on scrambled eggs and grilled cheese.

2 Likes

Well, I like a lot of ketchup on my french fries. Some people just do a quick dab in the ketchup so there is a speck of ketchup on the fry. I dunk that fry in there and coat it in ketchup.

1 Like