Costco Thread 2024

As a result, Costco will sometimes adjust a Western product to make it more acceptable to Taiwanese preferences.

Yes, I’m sure that’s why removed all the tomato sauce from their cheese pizza. I’m sure it was to adhere to local tastes…

3 Likes

There any official explanation why they removed all the cheese and other tomato sauce containing pizza? They’ve been a staple for years so no way they’re doing it for taste.

My local Costco has a sign saying “the 18” cheese & tomato pizza is unavailable due to supply issues".

Maybe related to Dominoes changing their tomato sauce.

Seafood pizza, but without tomato sauce.

Costco Taiwan took away the two pieces of fried chicken and they don’t allow buying single slices of most pizzas. I used to go to Costco all the time just for the food, not so much anymore and I don’t buy as much other stuff as a result. The cafeteria is supposed to be like IKEA - come eat and shop afterwards, not as a way to maximize revenue.

The only pizza they didn’t allow to buy single slices is cheese, and they don’t have those anymore.

But I’m seeing less and less stuff offered at Costco and their prices are creeping upwards. Pork has gotten so expensive that it’s no longer worth it. Hot pot pork slices are nearly 400 per kg. I found it on shopee for less than half the price.

Ikea food court food is a lot more expensive for one thing. Their hot dog is like maybe 1/4 the size of Costco.

I don’t know whether you’re focusing on length, girth, or mass there, but that doesn’t sound plausible. One-quarter of the size would be like a cocktail sausage, and I don’t remember IKEA hot dogs being that small. :hotdog:

IKEA hot dog is like a few inches shorter, and have much smaller girth. It costs the same as Costco hot dog. I think IKEA hot dog tastes slightly better though.

I am enjoying the lack of crowds at Costco Yonghe and my pal here breaks my bliss bubble by mentioning this location will close next year… :sob:

Zhonghe? If so I’ve never see it not crowded!

Why? Is a huge lost, not many supermarkets apart for the expensive ones.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the irony: it seems it is not generating enough traffic though it is like the first time since the plague where I haven’t had to elbow my way through. It is nice, but knowing it is the reason for its purposed demise dampened my mood.

I hope they reconsider their decision because as you said, if you live on our side of town, it is far more convenient than Xizhi or Xinzhuang. I can’t believe that Zhonghe/Yonghe does not have enough shoppers to sustain it.

Gotta check the news in Chinese.

3 Likes

The current lease on the land is until Jan 2025, perhaps that’s what your friend was referring to. It may or may not be renewed.

2 Likes

Costco is going down the tubes. Their prices have massively inflated compared to other places and a lot of iconic products are gone. That all their good pizzas are gone is basically the last straw.

Do you cook at home? What products are you comparing? What is the alternative PX $ Mart? Lol

2 Likes

Px mart and carrefour market prices have been mostly constant over the last few years. Costco has gone up in price by at least 50%

I’ve noticed alot of nice products just seem to disappear.

The latest are those tiny frozen pizzas that came in packs of 24. Was planning a party so went to Costco to buy a few packs - nope, don’t sell them anymore.

Also Kellogg’s Special K Red Berry. Our supply is running low so wife asks me to pick some up - nope, it’s gone.

I don’t remember those pizzas, but the obvious blueberry and stuff is gone. Cheese have become more expensive. Hash brown has gone up in price enough to not be a good deal anymore, considering they have cohesion problems when frying (it’s very inconsistent) which other brand do not have issue with.

Tofu is cheap though that hardly justifies membership cost. Roast chicken is constant, as are hot dogs, but almost everything else went up.

Im with @Taiwan_Luthiers on this, once the Costco products outprice the regular supermarkets like Carefore, whats the point of it? The entire bulk and lack of choice is predicated on the assumption you get a better deal.

In addition to items mentioned by @Taiwan_Luthiers theres coffee, which isn’t really any cheaper, Greek yought goes for like 400 a tub whereas a local supermarket is like 100nt for a smaller one, but pretty sure 4 of the smaller ones are more than the 400 tub. Maybee the 400 tub is better quality or something, dunno. Bet yeah, hard to find a bargain.

I think the Pizza story is a sign they are cheaping out and cutting costs and trying to maximize profit at every angle they find. No one does that better than the Taiwanese.

1 Like

Can you compare essentials stuff like oil, rice, chicken, flour, cleaning products, personal care.
I wish there is more supermarket and more competition. I go PX Or Carrefour to buy eggs. I’m not saying that Costco is cheap but buying the same stuff at PX mart is crazy expensive for me.

1 Like