Cottage cheese

Muzha/Taipei.
I don’t feel like going all the way up to Tienmu.

No kidding! You could make your own cottage cheese in less time than a round trip to Tianmu. :laughing:
I recommend you try any baking supply stores in your area. See [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/diy-baking-supply-supplies/22088/47 big list.[/url]No guarantee, but one might have some (although they’re more likely to just carry cream cheese and cream). Still, the refrigerators and shelves at the baking supply stores are worth checking out, as they often carry some items you might want and can’t find elsewhere, even if you’re not a baker (e.g. Hershey’s chocolate syrup, certain cheeses, dried fruits and nuts, etc.).

Yiwei foods carries low-fat cottage cheese by mail order:
Bulla cottage cheese, low fat 可特基乳酪 165元
yiweifoods@gmail.com
I am about to place my first order from them and cannot yet attest to the quality of their products or services.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Yiwei foods carries low-fat cottage cheese by mail order:
Bulla cottage cheese, low fat 可特基乳酪 165元
yiweifoods@gmail.com
I am about to place my first order from them and cannot yet attest to the quality of their products or services.[/quote]
Trust me, if they are mailing you cottage cheese, it’ll be stale. But yes you can give it a try.

What’s the Chinese word for “cottage cheese”. Anyplace to get it Kaohsiung/Pingtung?
If I attempt to make it, how is “cheese cloth” written in Chinese?

Yi Wei foods translates it as 可特基乳酪 but I have also seen it as 卡特基乳酪. Both are just a phonetic translation of the English (except for the 乳酪 which refers to cheese). Yi Wei foods is based in Kaohsiung so it should be very fresh if you order it. If you want to buy cheese cloth, go to any baking store and look for the cloth they use to make soy bean milk (often referred to as a 豆漿袋). It works well. I use it to drain the whey from yoghurt and make panir. I think you might even find it at a local 小北百貨.

Yeah, I believe (from memory) that bigsyd is right. When shaped into a bag already, you’ll find it sold as 豆漿袋, but the cloth itself might be 豆漿布 if you’re shopping online or at a fabric market. If that fails, ask for 蒸籠布 and you might get a hit. I’ve seen 豆漿袋 in 10 NT stores, DIY baking stores and MAYBE Daiso (not sure). Buy a few extra. They’re cheap, and VERY useful for thickening yogurt or straining cottage cheese, queso fresco etc., or even for straining the water out of shredded cucumber when making tzatziki.