Counting calories while eating out

Want to delete this comment.

Maybe your problem is just eating too much? I mean 20 dumplings in one sitting is quite the feat.

It’s not really a calorie tracker, or carb advice you need, it seems like more of a lifestyle change would be more beneficial.

I used to work as a personal trainer. Although I can’t directly give nutritional advice, i give people general lifestyle advice that helps them.

Snacks. It’s not normal to eat snacks. Eat meals. It’s ok to be hungry. It goes away and you can even function better in a fasted state once you let your body do its thing. We would have never survived as a species if we had to eat snacks in between meals to function.

I don’t think any animals in nature does snacking on their own the we we’ve conditioned society to. Food industry got us fooled. We do not need to eat snacks.

2 Likes

I’m really surprised you think 20 dumplings a lot. I guess it just depends on where you go and how big each dumpling is.

It is, I have about 6-8 normally, 10 when pushed.
In Taiwan loads of food contain sugar, Taiwanese might like it but I don’t, I can pick out everything that contains sugar and the people are surprised it has sugar.

1 Like

Not liking a food and not wanting to eat a lot of it is different than the “volume” of food is a lot. I see 8-10 year old kids eating 8-10 dumplings there on a regular basis. My wife that weighs 110 lbs eats 20 without issues.

You’re eating 20 dumplings because your appetite/metabolism is buggered up. On the rare occasions I eat dumplings, I eat about the same as @Belgian_Pie , ie., 6-10, depending on how hungry I am. Unless I’d not eaten for 24 hours, I don’t think I could force down 20 (average-sized) dumplings if you paid me.

Fix your appetite and you won’t want to eat 20 dumplings. It really is that easy, honest.

So all these kid’s eating 10 dumplings appetite/metabolism are buggered up? To put this in perspective, you are saying you wouldn’t be able to eat say a big mac, medium fries, and medium drink because it would be too much food?

Well, a ten-year-old will have an almost-adult appetite, so I can’t say for sure. Those ten dumplings might be one of only two meals. You’d want to look at their general eating patterns over (say) 24 hours to say for certain, “that kid is in trouble”. But many kids are well on the way to that position, yes. As BP said, a lot of it has to do with the upsurge in sugary-drink consumption.

About once a year I get a McDolan’s craving and buy a big mac, fries, and an icecream. I usually finish it, but instantly regret it because it makes me feel like crap (bloated and lethargic). Which is why I only eat them once a year. That’s how long it takes me to forget that it makes me feel like crap.

I wouldn’t order a Coke because I wouldn’t be physically able to drink it; I can have a sip of the stuff and say, yeah, OK, that’s nice, but I just wouldn’t enjoy 400ml of it. And I know I can’t eat 20 dumplings because I once ordered 12 by mistake (I was pretty hungry) and couldn’t finish them.

Oh geez.

I dont know what kind of dumplings you’re referring to, but it might be a good idea to take a pic so we know how big you’re talking. 20 korean mandoo can be consumed in one go, I suppose. The dumplings here are quite large. I usually can’t eat more than 5 or 6 before the oil gets to me.

Also, convenience store food has calorie counts on packaging. Found that handy when I was dieting.

If you want to eat healthy, you really need to cook your own meals. Even the vegan restaurants here are high in oil and fat.

Well… if we stick with the original 50 calories per dumpling and you order on avg of 8, that’s 400 calories. If you ate that for breakfast lunch and dinner, you’re at a whopping 1200 calories. I need more than 1200 calories a day.

I can’t eat 1 stinky tofu, but that has nothing to do with the volume. You can’t eat the dumplings because of the oil. That has nothing to do with if it is “a lot of food” or not. I eat healthy 6 days out of the week and know exactly how many calories I’m eating. I just would like to know when I go out and eat, how far i’m blowing the calorie budget by.

And everyone here is telling you that something like that isn’t possible, especially at a night market.

What’s the problem?

Where did I say I had a problem when people say it’s not possible. Discussion just shifted. My question to you would be when did I ever say I wanted to eat healthy?

More exercise, less calorie counting?

I don’t get the drink, sugary soda. And the occasions I go to a hotel tea, dinner all-you-can-eat buffet I get bloated because my stomach can’t handle the excess amount of food.

assuming I don’t exercise?

Wasn’t talking to you anymore.

1 Like

Well, must be nice to have a small appetite. I’m not that fortunate. I’m not saying I can eat a whole papa johns large pizza, but I can definitely eat more than 2 slices.

I probably could do two (large slices) but I limit my intake on purpose. You should stop eating still feeling slightly hungry.