Counting calories while eating out

I think for me that would still be some form of intuitive eating, which doesn’t work for me. Hence the reason I count calories or try to at least.

My fitness pal has most nightmarket and Rechao foods on there, will need Chinese to search though

My calorie intake varies wildly, depending on what I’m doing. I’m currently in quarantine so I feel little need to eat. I’m getting two meals a day, probably ~1000kCal total.

When I’m working out or doing some big project on the farm, I can easily get close to 3000kCal (and I tend to introduce some carbs under those circumstances - not a lot, but some).With my average workout routine, I’ll have a modest breakfast (coffee and eggs - so perhaps 400kCal) and then a big meal in the evening. I often go to an all-you-can-eat huo guo after the gym. And I eat all I can eat. Probably 2000kCal+ at one sitting.

I don’t count calories because my body knows how many calories it needs. I’m not lucky or genetically gifted.

It doesn’t work for you because you haven’t attempted to fix the underlying problem. If you try “intuitive eating” without doing that, you’ll simply feel compelled to eat rubbish and get fatter and fatter. Calorie counting will not help you. You’ll get fatter regardless, because your body is stuck in a dysfunctional metabolic mode that favours an expanding bodyfat mass.

Good lord, this thread is a mess. Is everyone suddenly a nutrition expert? Dieting and food is a different experience for everyone and what works for someone might not work for another whether that be for mental or physiological reasons. @Joebie didn’t ask for criticism or tips, they asked for caloric amounts of different foods.

Searching ‘night market calories’ in English got me nowhere. I did find some links searching ‘夜市 大卡’ (lit. ‘night market calories’) though: link 1 link 2 link 3
These all seem to be Taiwanese fitness/dieting sites. For anything you can’t find like this, maybe rough estimations based on ingredients or weight could work as suggested elsewhere in this thread. Otherwise I’d personally just assume that most night market foods are high in calories and try my best to enjoy them, but not too often :grin:

1 Like

I am, yes. So are a couple of other people here. The OP is asking a question equivalent to “what gadget can I buy to decrease my car’s fuel consumption?”. We’re just gently trying to point out that the question may not have a meaningful answer.

Sorry, but that simply isn’t true. Aside for some trivial genetic variations, all human bodies work in the same way. And one thing our bodies don’t have inside them is a calorie-meter with an overeating alarm: “oooh, too much, my friend, that’s gonna earn you an extra inch on your love handles!”

1 Like

Thank you!!! this is exactly what I was looking for. Little depressing, but what I wanted to know.

Okay, I didn’t know that. I apologize. It wasn’t clear from the thread and I assumed that some people just decided to act like experts (as is so common on the internet).

What I usually do is just typing the name of the food in Chinese on Google followed by ‘熱量’. If you are eating at a chain store or even a renowned restaurant you sometimes will find the calories pretty easily on Google too.

Many people here write about calories when eating out, the only issue is it is all in Chinese. I find this even better than apps because these folks already put it pretty detailed there. You can even find all the menu calories of something so cheap and crappy as 美而美 for example as well as nice Shanghainese, Cantonese and other restaurants.

I only use apps based to calculate each food by weight when eating at home.

Example of approximations get in mfp

Why? In terms of what? For weight loss they are the same. 800 calories of cake is the same as 800 calories of celery. Unless you are a new-age right wing shaman type, which is about 50% of the people who post here.

Is a mile in a rainforest as long as a mile on a beach?

This neo-crystal voodoo stuff burns my eyes

1 Like

It’s bad, 81% fat?

Depends what you define as bad.

The OP is only interested in calories

Calorie wise, but not blood glucose wise.

Exactly, thats the point. I can lose weight being in a calorie deficit and only eating cake, its just not advisable

I love the 1000 Kcal chocolate diet.

1 Like

Go for it

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15113737/

Diets high in protein and/or low in carbohydrate produced an approximately equal to 2.5-kg greater weight loss after 12 wk of treatment. Neither macronutrient-specific differences in the availability of dietary energy nor changes in energy expenditure could explain these differences in weight loss. Thermodynamics dictate that a calorie is a calorie regardless of the macronutrient composition of the diet

Just curious OrangeOrganics. How many of these dumplings could you eat?
Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 7.00.10 PM

1 Like

That’s double of what I eat.

I have a beast of an appetite and could eat all of them.

1 Like

My advice on these type of threads is just ignore the zealots.