COVID-19 Booster Shots in Taiwan

A booster is one shot.

If you have completed your primary series (shots one and two) with Pfizer-BNT, there absolutely no problem following up with a Moderna booster shot (make sure that you tell them that’s what you want, as it is administered as a half dose).

Guy

1 Like

There was some heavy irony in play because the bosses had placed relentless pressure on me to be vaccinated, even registering me on the app for an appointment, despite my being forthright about having no wish to take experimental vaccines. I am still testing once a week, as is one of my foreign co-workers.

Re any claim, I know nothing about that.

1 Like

The number of people who succumbed to this sort of pressure and subsequently ended up with serious medical issues must be rather high … which is why, back in the years BC (before clownworld) we had robust laws about it.

Just incredible they’re still banging on about weekly testing after that happened. The force is strong with this one.

1 Like

Next generation bivalent vaccines from Moderna (to be used as boosters only, not for first and second shots in the primary series) are scheduled to arrive in Taiwan on Friday. These vaccines are the same ones approved in Australia, Canada, the EU, and the UK; they are not the same as the BA.5 subvariant-specific bivalent vaccines now being rolled out in the US.

First priority to get these boosters in Taiwan will be folks who are 65 and older as well as immunocompromised persons 18 and older. If you fulfill one of those conditions, you’ll need to have a minimum three month interval since your last shot or last confirmed infection. That interval is the minimum required; some reports I’ve read and posted above indicate a six month interval may result in better protection.

Guy

3 Likes

The first batch of 804,000 bivalent boosters from Moderna has reportedly arrived.

Folks 65 and older, and immunocompromised people 18 and older, will have priority as these new boosters are rolled out in the Fall.

Source: https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202209160016

Guy

4 Likes

As expected, a second shipment of Moderna bivalent boosters arrived in Sunday. Taiwan now has received just over 1.6 million doses of these vaccines, along with plenty of Novavax for folks who prefer a more conventional vaccine.

Source: Second bivalent Moderna vaccine shipment arrives - Taipei Times

Guy

3 Likes

In addition to the Moderna vaccines noted above, Taiwan is also scheduled to receive around 500,000 new doses of Novavax this week, with expected rollout near the end of September. Novavax can be used for one’s primary series (if you have waited this long for it) or as a booster shot for anyone 12 and above, providing an alternative for those who might be uncomfortable with Moderna and BNT’s mRNA vaccines.

Guy

4 Likes

Fresh batch of Novavax received this morning, delivered to Taiwan from Amsterdam:

These shots (part of a larger order of 2.27 million doses of Novavax) were acquired through the COVAX scheme. They will be made available to anyone aged 12 and up.

Source: https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202209220003

Guy

2 Likes

Yep, this seems to still be the case as per the rules on the appointment website.

For the 2nd booster (4th shot):

● Those over 65 years old : Those who have completed the 1st booster dose before July 2, 2022 (inclusive) can receive the Moderna next-generation vaccine .
● Those over 50 years old : Those who have completed the first booster vaccination before July 4, 2022 (inclusive).

I heave heard recently that additionally under-50 people could also get this omicron-specific booster in case they “have to” travel abroad for example for work. Has anyone heard or read about this?

1 Like

Yes I have. That would be for the second round of the bivalent shots, not the first.

Guy

1 Like

What would that mean? That one started, say, with AZ—and then switched to BNT for two additional shots?

At minimum, this would be an unusual situation, as the second BNT shot would typically be thought of as the first booster.

Guy

1 Like

Thanks a lot. Do you know when that 2nd round is supposed to start?

No word yet. When it’s announced, I’ll do my best to post it.

Cheers,
Guy

2 Likes

That means I cant type :stuck_out_tongue: thanks for spotting that, I corrected it

1 Like

Does anyone know if this is the best (or only) booster choice? Or will another, more updated one, be coming later in the year?

Three choices will be available in the fall: the new bivalent Moderna vaccine (rolled out to the elderly and immunocompromised first); Novavax (old school protein subunit vaccine, available soon to anyone 12 and up); and Medigen (another old school vaccine, made in Taiwan but with limited international recognition).

I’d say go for what is in your comfort zone when you are eligible to get boosted (in Taiwan, a three month interval is needed following your last shot; a longer interval, say six months, may provide more robust protection according to some sources I’ve read).

It’s possible we’ll get Moderna’s BA.5 specific bivalent booster down the road (this is the one being rolled out in the US now, and nowhere else)—but who knows if/when this will happen, as it has not been approved locally here.

Guy

4 Likes

Will China bully foreign companies to not send this new one to taiwan as well? :sweat_smile:

Wiki shows Taiwan as not involved with Covax. ?

Taiwan is still involved with COVAX. We started back in 2021 receiving AZ; in 2022 we switched our request to Novavax, including the shipment received last week.

Guy

3 Likes

Cheers.

Oh brother, where art thou wiki editors?

Curious, is China still blocking vaccines to this country?