COVID-19 Booster Shots in Taiwan

Might as well get this thread started.

9 Likes

Ya, might as well…

1 Like

Great news!

2 Likes

Looking forward to the boosters.

I was amongst the first 50K people in TW getting the 1st AZ shot (“self paid” end of April, when almost noone wanted the vaccines because there simply was no COVID in Taiwan). Hey, the best vaccine is the one you can get now. Second one in July. Very thankful to both Taiwan and Japan for the vaccination opportunity, and to Taiwan for the absurdly safe environment.

But we can not stay a virtually COVID free paradise forever I’m afraid. So we need to catch up with the rest of the world, who learned in a much harder way not to trust the friggin CCP and also maybe not to soooo blindly trust the WTO. When the world opens up, we should be ready - so as not to lose the economic advantage that we had so far, partly due to the best-in-the-world (though not flawless) prevention performance.

Looking forward to see how the vaccination rates will end up in Taiwan. Will there be enough covidiots, maybe from the Christian sects, to hinder the vaccination efforts? Probably best discussed in the related threads.

9 Likes

I would take a third shot if offered.

2 Likes

Protection from AZ falls off more quickly than from other vaccines. But that was the only option in the beginning.
We’ll see if they can offer Moderna or Pfizer booster before the CNY mass migration, which could start a new wave in Taiwan.

4 Likes

I would like to change vaccine for the booster shot.

They are already allowing first AZ followed by a second mRNA shot so I don’t think you’ll any problem with this, assuming two AZ vaccines that is.

3 Likes

I thought this was the other way around, Pfizer started higher but drops quicker.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/covid-19-vaccines-work-but-their-efficacy-fades-st

4 Likes

Yah, two Az’s. Thanks.

1 Like

Minor follow-up: here’s an article from yesterday about allowing mixing of vaccines. Nothing here about boosters - it’s just about the second dose - but “proof-of-concept” for getting a different shot.

2 Likes

As for the administration of the third dose of mRNA to adults, the top priority will be given to medical personnel, followed by central and local government epidemic prevention staff, and the third-highest priority group will be airline crews. Those over the age of 65 who are at a risk for severe illness will also be prioritized.

By the end of January, it is estimated that 263,000 adults will be eligible for the third dose of an mRNA vaccine.

3 Likes

Pfizer BNT

USA Sep 2021 says “at least six months after completion of the primary series”.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-authorizes-booster-dose-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine-certain-populations

2 Likes

So it’s definitely happening.

Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) Commander Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) encouraged everyone above the age of 18 to get a COVID-19 booster shot six months after receiving their second dose, and said there will be no restriction on vaccine brands.

The CECC will allow people to choose their preferred vaccine brands, and suggests those who received AstraZeneca (AZ) get an mRNA booster vaccine, but disapproves of mixing mRNA vaccines, such as mixing Moderna with BioNTech (BNT) vaccines. It also does not recommend those already vaccinated with mRNA vaccines get an AZ vaccine as their booster.

5 Likes

Yay, gimme those nanites in my blood. I am become Borg!

I’m a touch worried about differing info: only for high priority, or maybe for anyone. But hopefully it’ll be sorted out by January.

2 Likes

Given the small amount of people that would be eligible in January and February anyways I’m surprised they even mentioned a priority for boosters.

3 Likes

Some people in priority positions were already vaccinated early enough… but you are right that this number seems very small compared to the recent numbers of available vaccine doses. I guess beginning of January there will be 6 months passed since the second vaccination for around 50~90K people.

1 Like

Third shots will be recommended for, and available to, for everyone in Taiwan over 18 after a six month interval following the second shot. Rollout will apparently start in December. Details available via this Liberty Times article (in Chinese):

Guy

2 Likes

Yeah my six month date will be Dec. 30, and I’m about as early as anyone non-priority can get. To be honest I’m mildly (but pleasantly) surprised they’re already talking about the plans.

4 Likes

You mean the WHO?

1 Like