COVID-19 Booster Shots in Taiwan

Indeed. I claim autocorrect ^^

3 Likes

It was announced today that the third dose (booster shots) will be available after noon today. Those in categories 1 to 3 will be eligible if it has been 5 months since their second dose. Moderna will available for this. (Didn’t have time to read any more. Anybody else feel free to provide more info, such as how the heck do you get that booster. Registration? So the shots are being administered now or is it just registration now?) Oh and Omicron is given for the reason for hurrying this along.

3 Likes

There are not that many eligible anyway. I don’t really see the need to limit it to first three categories.
They probably just want to avoid a run because of the new variant.

2 Likes

They believe that three shots will provide better protection than two, and they want front-line workers protected ASAP.

For the rest of us, we’ll be looking at a six month interval between second and third shots. Based on what we’ve seen around the world, I will absolutely get my third shot as soon as I am eligible to do so.

Guy

2 Likes

The last news was that it will start in January. Would be great to get Moderna two weeks before CNY.

1 Like

If you meet the six month criteria, I think you will. And if that’s the case, you will be adding an mRNA vaccine to your existing viral vector vaccines—a robust combination.

Let us know if/when you become eligible.

Guy

2 Likes

I will be eligible next week.

Edit: eligible by time but not by category :wink:

4 Likes

English article now on FocusTaiwan:

• Priority Groups 1-3 with at least 5 months between 2nd and 3rd shot.
  • Central Govt. officials not included except for those that frequent hospitals or govt. quarantine facilities.
  • Booking for booster shot can be done directly through the hospital
  • Only Moderna will be offered for booster at the moment.

Boosters are available as of today, December 2nd. As of December 7 about 60,000 people will be eligible for a booster shot.

4 Likes

Does anyone know the expected reaction after the 3rd shot? So mRNA after 2x AZ vs. AZ after 2x AZ (yes I know mRNA as 3rd has big advantages in terms of protection and will try to get that once I’m eligible in early January)

I mean general rule of thumb like:

• AZ first shot has stronger reaction, second very light
  • mRNA first shot lighter reaction, second stronger
3 Likes

btw. I saw that they will give half dose of Moderna as booster

1 Like

Do you have a source?

Guy

疫苗第3劑打莫德納半劑量

From that news marasan linked. I hope I understood it right.

3 Likes

Fucking stupid.

Tell it to Moderna, as this is their recommendation for using their current vaccine as a third dose.

The 35 million additional Moderna on order for arrival in 2022 and 2023 however will be made to specification for a third dose—almost certainly tweaked to handle the new variant(s).

Guy

6 Likes

I think @afterspivak mentioned this somewhere else on the site, but info not yet in this thread: boosters are now available for anyone who’s at more than five months since their last dose. I guess it’s Moderna?

I haven’t yet looked into the logistics for how to get it. EDIT: OK, it looks like for MacKay Danshui, you go here to register. There seem to be only selected times, currently afternoons of December 15th & 17th, unavailable at the moment - not sure if they’re full or not properly open yet. MacKay info available here; Chinese only. Based on past experience, I’d guess it’s a lot easier to arrange at other hospitals in Taipei City.

Re-asking @olm’s question above: has anyone heard much about side-effects of the booster? I’ll be in a hospital this coming Tuesday morning anyway, and wouldn’t mind getting the booster shot then, but I teach that afternoon. And I remain confused / surprised that many of my students are getting three-day sick leaves after vaccination!

2 Likes

I took my two AZ shots in Taiwan (I was one of those who got the self-paid at the end of April). Side effects pretty bad for the first, just fatigue and a bit of fever for the second. I was in Europe until last week and got the third jab there (Moderna, half dose) at 4.5 months from the second dose. Similar side effects as the second AZ shot: fatigue and dizziness for one day.

6 Likes

Ok, thanks. So it’s probably best not to get the shot if I’m teaching a few hours later.

2 Likes

As far as I understand, most people are ok during the day of the vaccination, with side effects setting in during the night or next day.

I did find some info on expected side effects for boosters in the meanwhile. Sorry I didn’t remember to share here. TLDR, or rather my interpretation of figure 2:

After 2x AstraZeneca, if the 3rd shot is with…

• AstraZeneca: extremely few reported any significantside effects

• Pfizer-Biontech: half or full dose very few (way below 5%) reported any significant side effects

• Moderna: a few people reported fatigue (~12%), some reported pain and “malaise” (~5%).
    Note: This is for a full dose 0.5ml=100microgram. No info in this study for a half dose, which will be used in TW (manufacturer specifies half for booster)

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)02717-3/fulltext

3 Likes

Sounds reasonable - that’s what I had with the first AZ shot; a great day and then awful insomnia (and I still suspect the next couple of days of mild side-effects were more from lack of sleep than anything else). I guess it’s a moot point since, if I’m deciphering the Chinese correctly, there’s no option for getting the booster on Tuesday morning - and that’s when I’ve already got an appointment elsewhere in MacKay Danshui.

1 Like

Here’s another article confirming Boosters for everyone after 5 months, half dose Moderna only, can just make appointment at hospital etc.:

5 Likes