COVID-19 Booster Shots in Taiwan

I’ll be eligible in ~10 days so I’m looking forward to it. Checked some of the hospitals’ websites and most still aren’t updated yet and are still restricted to people in first 3 priority groups so hopefully the website/system gets update in the next day or so I can register…

3 Likes

Good luck to you!

Guy

Taipei MacKay seems to have a lot more slots available than Danshui MacKay. Link here. Mind you, I haven’t gone through the registration process to figure out how well it works.

Now that it’s five months, I am eligible, but I’m trying to figure out when it’ll fit in my schedule in the next couple of weeks. My students taking multiple days off with side-effects have me spooked, even though the side-effects I had with AZ were only “mild hangover” for #1 and nothing for #2. (Not spooked for safety of vaccine, just spooked about how much it’ll affect the workload that’s already piled too high.)

I don’t doubt some of them may have felt woozy—I did after getting my BNT shot. But I also wonder how many of them are gaming the system to get days off . . .

Guy

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m letting the students do this - after all, they’ve got the paperwork - but my internal assessment is, if they’ve got some kind of big presentation to do, fair enough, I was nowhere near my best in the 1-2 days after my first AZ shot. (But then why schedule the vaccination then?! - or have I just answered my question?). However, for just sitting in class? Come on!

I was surprised by how many students had their vaccinations for just before, or during, the recent midterm exam week. That definitely struck me as foolish.

2 Likes

I’m down in Taichung so Taipei is a little out of the way.

I checked Taichung Hospital and they were updated but it seems they only do booster shots on Wednesday afternoons which isn’t that great for me…

Oh well…if I can’t find anything else more convenient in the next few days maybe I’ll just make an appointment in Taipei or some other city and visit some friends after getting boosted.

1 Like

Is waiting at least 5 months a strict requirement? Is there any way to get the booster shot here before that date?

It seems to be?

Although I was wondering the other day what would happen if you just showed up at one of the walk-in sites with your passport, as though it’s your first dose - I assume passport numbers are stored somewhere on the NHI systems, but I’d be surprised if they’ve properly linked them up. Just hypothetically, of course. Like some other foreigners have reported, my first two doses still don’t show up in the NHI app. :man_shrugging:

I’m still on the fence if I can be bothered with the booster shot, personally. By which I mean first booster shot of many. (Five months since the second dose for me would be later this month.)

The day I’m eligible for the booster (likely Moderna), I’ll be there.

The outcomes in Israel—who have been way in front with mass vaccination using BNT—were pretty rough until they realized they needed the third shot. That was enough to persuade me.

Guy

5 Likes

Will go this Wednesday morning for the ½ Moderna booster. No appointment needed. Just bring the yellow vaccination card.

3 Likes

I presume in Nantou?

In any case, good luck!

Guy

Go where? It probably depends on the hospital whether you need an appointment, no?

Yes. Not sure if in the Hospital directly or the location out of town where we got the second shot.

My wife called. They said to come in without appointment at a certain time.
Must be 5 months since second shot.

2 Likes

It is actually a completely different place.

南投市衛生所
The Health center where they usually administer flu shots to elderly and where kids get their first vaccines.

So it might be different in Taipei.

1 Like

Oh nice that’s great to know! So as long as you’re double vaccinated you can get the booster? Don’t need to wait the full 5 months?

If I’m not wrong, my booster should be in January–that will be 6 months.

Did people need to book ahead of time to get a slot and does it need to be at the same hospital?

5 months, no specific number of days, just 5 months after second shot, can book directly with hospitals.

Any hospital is fine as long as they are doing boosters.
Boosters are open for ALL, however, some still seem to only be open for the first 3 top priority groups so check other hospitals if necessary, which you can check on their websites or call them.

FocusTaiwan article further up the thread has all the details.

https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202112100018

4 Likes

Oh 5 months, cool. I think I should be eligible. I might as well get it done as soon as possible.

2 Likes

No. Must be after 5 months.

2 Likes

Just back from Pingtung Hospital where i got my Moderna booster (originally had AZ) had some fried chicken on the way home and feet up now watching TV, no bad feelings up to now.

Brother in the UK had pfizer booster on Saturday and was like a bad hangover Saturday evening and Sunday.

Pingtung hospital is just drop in for the vaccine mon - fri 15:30 to 20:30
took my yellow card and my NHI card it took around 30mins (15 min wait after the vaccine).

Got another sticker on my NHI card and asked if i fill it up do i get a free coffee, that got lost in translation :upside_down_face:

6 Likes