COVID-19 Booster Shots in Taiwan

Aw man, no slots available in Danshui MacKay this week, nothing at Taipei MacKay on Friday afternoon (which would be the ideal time, to make sure possible side-effects don’t interfere with work) … a couple slots still available for Wednesday afternoon. I wonder what that may do to the classes I teach on Thursday & Friday.

Plenty of slots next week in Taipei (nothing yet open for Danshui), but I don’t want to put myself in a headache daze for Christmas!

EDIT: Taipei Veterans General Hospital seems to be handling the registration via this page: https://www6.vghtpe.gov.tw/reg/c19vaccBS.do (Chinese only). When you get past the first page, it’s full morning of 15th, available afternoon of 15th, available morning and afternoon of Thursday the 16th, and then next slots are Wednesday the 22nd.

1 Like

This may be time for @Marco to call his MP. Better service for Danshui residents, please! :rofl:

Guy

2 Likes

Just an update on how I’m feeling one day after the booster.

Slept well last night had one of the sports drinks in the evening to make sure i was hydrated.
This morning felt ok but arm sore at the injection site.
i have had less and less energy as the day progressed, now just feel drained and whole body aches.
i won’t be doing much more than putting my feet up and watching Netflix for the evening.

6 Likes

How is it compared to your reaction to the first 2 shots? Similar?

Anyways, take care and hopefully tomorrow will be all good!

2 Likes

First shot was was about the same (maybe this one a little worse)
Second shot was no ill affects at all.

Feeling ok so far today, after my lazy day yesterday and making sure to keep hydrated.

One thing i forgot to mention when i had the shot, they recommended no exercise for a couple of days after, something about not putting extra stress on the heart.

3 Likes

So you went AZ, AZ, Moderna booster? If so, it’s great you got this done!

The recommendation at the end has to do with the rare but real potential side effects of the mRNA vaccines on the heart.

Guy

1 Like

yes that’s the one (or 3)

Yes just putting it out there incase anyone had a date after getting the shot :wink:

3 Likes

Had the Moderna booster this morning. In and out in 10 minutes.

2 Likes

You skipped the 15mins wait time at the end?

Ah good, just checked again and now there are openings for the previously full Friday afternoon slot at Danshui MacKay. Perfect timing for my schedule, so that’s booked. Let’s hope it’s a comfortable weekend, but if not, well, at least I don’t need to be anywhere.

1 Like

We (me + 3 in-laws) went to have lunch next door.
Nobody has allergies or had an allergic reaction to this or previous shots.

2 Likes

My strategy for both shots so far has been quickly enjoy a good meal, before any side effects like nausea or a headache kick in. Plus it’s a good excuse to spoil myself.

1 Like

I had no choice in the matter, even had a nurse watching the time, they have dropped it in the uk, its just shot and go so they can get more people done.

I think it is not enforced here anymore either. Especially in places with very high traffic.
Anyone with concerns should still stay to get help quickly if needed.

1 Like

there was only 3 people there so they where telling people when to leave, if more people maybe it would be easier to walk away.

1 Like

I’m still trying to decide whether to get Moderna or Medigen or a third AZ. I am not keen of the strong effects of Moderna, my neighbors were knocked out four days. I know Medigen or AZ will have a milder kick…but then I wonder if it would be enough then. Sigh.

I want to get the shot before TSHTF on New Year, definitely.

The default booster is Moderna, administered at half dose for this purpose.

The government has ordered an additional 5 million AZ doses as boosters to be delivered in 2022. Will they allow you to get one now? I am not sure.

In any case, everyone’s bodies seem to react a little differently to the vaccines. I would not assume that your neighbours’ experiences would be the same as yours.

Guy

2 Likes

it was one day with me and everyone else i know who had Moderna as a booster.

4 Likes

Just jumping in to see if anyone knows the answer before I call up and ask myself in the next day or two, but can your booster shot be exactly on the 5 months?
e.g. 7/25 2nd shot and 12/25 booster?

Some hospital websites are saying that, for example, if you make an appointment for 12/25 you need to have gotten your previous shot before 7/25 rather than on the day of or before…so it seems like 5 months + 1 day rather than the 5 months that the CECC/MoHW have mentioned multiple times.

1 Like

I don’t know, but maybe see if one of the hospital websites I’ve linked above let you book. They all ask you to type in the date of your second shot. Try an obviously less than five months date: if that fails, you know the site checks for that. And then test your five-month date.

I think back when I had my second shot, the site won’t let me book a date prior to the … 60-day? mark, so there’s precedent for the online system working that way. Although I may be badly misremembering that.