COVID-19 Booster Shots in Taiwan

I often get confused there. Bookmarks sometimes take me to the right site, sometimes to an “old” site, and I need to click at the top to go to an updated version. They seem to have remapped things since two weeks ago, although the change away from 第三 is enough to confuse someone at my level of Chinese. I almost never bother with the English side of the website because usually it bumps me up to their “top” bureaucratic page with nothing useful. The fondness for images with blocks of text is pretty managed designed to spite those using Google Translate.

I think I’ve seen the date format vary depending on if I’m using a Chinese or English page - if it’s Chinese, I use the local year, if it’s English, I use the western year. But that was for making appointments in the different clinics, versus the vaccines.

As far as I can figure (which likely isn’t very far!) the current sites are …

• MacKay, both hospitals, vaccines in general, here.
  • Taipei MacKay, vaccines in general, here.
  • Taipei MacKay, boosters, um this is totally different from the one I saw five minutes ago and I have no idea how I managed that, here. This one has a whole bunch of dates in the pull-down menu, all currently grayed out, but I suspect this is your place to repeatedly check.
  • Danshui MacKay, vaccines in general, “helpfully” updated Dec. 24 with details about registering for Dec. 24, here.
  • Danshui MacKay, booster registrations, no slots available with Dec. 31 as the sole grayed out option here.
1 Like

Thanks very much.

I was only finding the Danshui Mackay one on their website which is a bit out of my way and only had one day available. I’ll keep checking the Taipei one, see if slots open up.

I am surprised they are been booked up so quickly. When I booked my first and second jab, there was a ton of openings.

I’m not sure they have been booked up, or if perhaps they’re staggering releases. When I was trying to book the Danshui one, one day it was all greyed out, and the next day there were suddenly dozens of openings. I don’t think dozens of people cancelled overnight. Something else is going on.

1 Like

Audrey Tang had Medigen booster after two previous AZ covid vaccinations.

2 Likes

Mackay Tamsui is taking bookings!

30 available. I just booked mine.

3 Likes

2 days after getting my BNT booster there: Still no significant side effects. Even the arm practically doesn’t hurt any more. Got the shot in the early afternoon, whole day nothing except for arm hurting a bit. At night took a Paracetamol just in case, slept well. Next morning still pretty much nothing, then during the day very slight dizziness, fatigue, joint pain. Didn’t keep me from shopping all day. Slept well again, and today totally normal.

Adventist is also well organized, was in and out in 30 minutes (including 15 minutes waiting).

10/10, would booster again.

3 Likes

And the monkey paw creaks into motion…

(Eh, I’m mostly expecting shots forever, like I should already be getting for the flu, and I’m fine with that.)

3 Likes

My cardiologist gave me the thumbs up for the booster. Moderna half dose it is.

Our neighborhood hospital, Cardinal Tien, is offering boosters on all 3 vaccines available, AZ, Moderna and BNT. You can book on their website.

I’ll probably book the same hospital I went for my first and second shot, though, and try to get a clear picture of the record keeping. In case I can board a flight sometime next year.

1 Like

It’s great you got a green light for the booster.

No need to stick to the same medical facility though—if Cardinal Tien can get this done for you in Xindian, just do it. Taiwan does seem to have the record keeping thing figured out if you use your NHI card—both in paper form (our yellow “vaccine card”) and electronically (with the newly launched digital COVID vaccination certificate, in line with the EU’s platform).

Guy

2 Likes

I’m curious, would they issue me a yellow card if I showed them my US CDC and Ontario vaccine cards?

How does that work?

1 Like

I don’t know. But I do know that for Taiwan’s newly launched digital vaccination certificate, it can only account for vaccines administered in Taiwan.

Guy

I prefer paper anyways. I don’t like having personal info like that on my smartphone.

It’s just…the Ontario one is massive.

And carrying three cards seems to be a bit excessive.

I had my booster in Taipei last week. I had my first two doses in Cali.

They issued me with the yellow paper card and also wrote the jabs I had in the states on them. When I went to apply for the international Covid passport, I was told only the booster I had in Taiwan could be listed, and the same applied for the online digital certificate.

So now I have white cdc card with first two jabs.
American digital Covid proof of first two
Taiwanese yellow paper with all three
International Covid passport with just the booster
Taiwan digital Covid certificate of booster only.

5 Likes

Lovely! Now you’re at 5 proofs.

I appreciate you sharing your experience.

4 Likes

Update on my original question: I just got my booster shot yesterday at the local 衛生所 in Su’ao Yilan. It turned out they needed the dates and vaccine batch numbers of the first two shots in order to book me up in the local system for the third.
I am still in the process of getting my ARC, but I had an ARC number already since it’s not the first time I come to Taiwan on a resident’s (spouse) visa. They took the number from my Taiwan health insurance card (gotten during a previous trip, useless for now till I spend 180 days in Taiwan).

4 Likes

Congratulations! Did they administer Moderna or some other vaccine type?

Guy

They gave me a choice, I went with BNT pfizer, like my previous two shots.

1 Like

I want to know about this too. I had AZ here before anyone wanted it, then Pfizer in the US.

I’m gonna guess that your AZ shot will be counted but not the BNT in the app, but the yellow card likely will have both.

Based on what was said above.

1 Like

Put it in a manila folder to carry around.