Covid-19 Research Thread

Post articles about studies that enhance our understanding of the virus.

Study on macacques shows you can’t get reinfected.

https://www.livescience.com/monkeys-cannot-get-reinfected-with-coronavirus-study.html

1 Like

One of the many routes out there with potential for treating the virus:

The study provides direct evidence that a protein called APN01 (human recombinant soluble angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 – hrsACE2) — is useful as an “antiviral therapy” for the novel coronavirus, say its authors, because the virus binds to it rather than a cell wall.

1 Like

Not precisely on COVID-19, but a small review on the related SARS-CoV phylogenetics dated 2007 that happened to be a prophecy. Please search “time bomb”.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2176051/

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it’s that prophetic, because we don’t know who patient zero is, and that article gave the CCP direction on what the suspects are. Insightful nonetheless.

Did somebody change the title for this thread?

I don’t think so. I think the mods added tag.

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

A study linking higher pollution rates with higher death rates from the virus. All the more reason to hope that in Taiwan we continue to dodge this bullet.

(An aside: I’m not going to change the title of the thread myself, but I do wish “Wuhan Coronavirus” became “Covid-19” or whatever. If that had been chosen as the name of the virus in the first place, I’d have been fine with it, but the naming has become a bit of a partisan point and makes the thread look political when it should be anything but.)

2 Likes

It was known an Wuhan virus in January all around Asia, i think it was the CCP themselves who pushed for this name. Until the virus had identity issues and decided to turn its back on its heritage and change its name.

I know the origins, but now it’s a political partisan point, and I think the title of the thread makes this look political. But whatever, now I’ve probably stirred a hornets’ nest, so I won’t say more about it.

1 Like

Not to me, its what is used locally when talking about the virus and every one understands, if i say covid-19 people get confused. i also use Flu when talking about Influenza and a Cold when talking what ever version of a cold i get that year.

It became political when people started to try and change it,
enjoy your can of worms
:wink:

1 Like

I think you’re absolutely correct. In a thread about science, in arts and sciences, the scientific name for it should be used. Then you ensure the topic stays on topic. There are other places where people can argue the name, and the context behind its use.

then, it is severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), if this thread is about the virus. Covid-19 is a name of a disease caused by the virus.

With the same strain perhaps. But how about mutated versions.

From what I understand, mutated strains are likey weaker.

Crap.

1 Like

Yeah there’s a raised riverbank near me where people walk, I’ve been staying off it and sticking to the roads/park areas on the side.

1 Like
2 Likes

are there people running? It’s worse if people are running.