Covid-19 Research Thread

Guys…the timing of it! Come on, it’s so obvious.

It’s obvious to you.

Why do they determine that though ?
Why don’t they say, hold on a second why don’t we go and check those samples and those bats n the WIV to see if it was there and we didn’t know it.

It baffles me.when they say it is unlikely when the virus with the closest homology to SARS 2, was researched at the WIV lab also .

So most likely…SARS 2 came from Yunnan but popped up in Wuhan. And the wet market was NOT the source of the infection we know that.

The thought of an accidental escape horrifies a lot of researchers because it woudl cause a big problem for them getting access to samples and authority to do certain experiments. Also they just don’t want to contemplate something like this happening.

1 Like

This second article may have a lot of correlation with the environment in China right now.

They do say. I just can’t remember all the fine details to be perfectly honest as I attend a load of meetings on a wide variety of research fields weekly.

The possibility hasn’t been ruled out entirely, and a lot of people are expecting WHO investigation to shed more light on the matter, but I don’t think a definitive answer will be found.

When it comes to china… it’s actually more likely that it came as a result of a cock up.

If it didn’t come from a lab leak, as a result of their own negligence, why would they need to claim that this virus came from several other countries?

1 Like

It won’t be if they don’t allow outside investigators to look at the samples in the labs ! Which they are actively blocking . Also blocking access to Yunnan .

The contact chains from the sample sites are already one of the key focus areas from what I understand. But this has come against a lot of problems, as the bbc article eludes to.

I’m guessing those researchers have not looked into what the WIV lab was actually doing for years and years.

Nor do they know the history of the cockups in other labs in China (article above and posted here again ).

2 Likes

Who is investigating that ?
What about the bats and the cell cultures in the labs ?
Where are the retrospective studies of those ?
What about the researchers in the lab ? The sequencing of those infected with covid in that lab .
We could easily trace back the virus evolution and determine if they were amongst the first infected and therefore likely source of the pandemic in Wuhan ?

None of this is actually difficult to do !

Some of them work directly with them, some don’t. Some of my colleagues know the WIV teams quite well, so we invite them to give talks, I attend if something looks interesting and I have the time.

I’ll try and find the names of people who have given talks, and what they are doing, but it’ll take me some time to trawl our internal ‘Facebook’ type system.

So who is going into the WIV to check the samples to see if coronavirus-19 was hiding out there.
As any virologist knows, there are thousands of unknown viruses floating around in different species… Prof Shi even said the same thing herself.

Why isn’t she going back into the samples to do sequencing and PCR studies of all the old samples ?

Also what about testing all.the WIV lab staff to see the sequence of the coronavirus they may have been infected with. We know samples were taken from all the staff in WIV. Earliest common ancestor alorigithim would be very insightful.

Any country with a shred of decency would be doing this work in a transparent manner to make sure it wasn’t an accidental release.

This is what the WHO said in 2004 following two accidental SARS infections within two weeks.

At a news conference in Manila this morning, Associated Press reported, WHO Western Pacific Regional Director Shigeru Omi criticized the laboratory’s safeguards and said the authorities did not know yet whether any foreigners had been carrying out medical research in the facility and had since left the country. Laboratory safety “is a serious issue that has to be addressed,” he said. “We have to remain very vigilant.”

Why now in 2020 WHO officials are saying ‘its not my job !’

3 Likes

The meetings I attend usually discus current findings rather than detailed outlines of what’s planned next. And with this topic, what’s being done next is often even more vague than usual for reasons I’m sure I don’t need to spell out. As I said I’ll see if I can’t find some details from previous talks/meeetings and let you know.

1 Like

Local vaccine.

1 Like

China was really hurting big time in 2019. CCP already knew the best time and best location to release a virus. The timing of covid was the same as SARS1, except in 2019 they used what they learned from 2003 to have more control of the narrative and block external researchers from coming in to investigate the source. The 2003 release was also a datapoint that CCP could use to throw off the scent, pointing to “wet markets” being the causes.

When the economic numbers were coming in the summer of 2019, China CCP knew they needed to act quickly and they were way beyond the point of no return, seeing acceleration of major tech companies shift operations out of the country. Shortly after Trump labeled China a currency manipulator, China then refused to sign any deal for phase 1 and released the virus. By December the virus was taking hold, Wechat and Weibo was already blocking certain virus related language, and China agreed to finally sign the trade deal which they demanded include language for “unexpected events and natural disasters” which was unprecedented for 2 Superpowers to include. China signed it in January knowing that by Chinese New Year they would be preparing to shut down all factories for 2 months, sending out shockwaves around the world. And the worst part is, China is holding the world Hostage while all this is happening, taking everyone along for the ride. They blocked domestic flights but continued to let millions leave on international flights. When the virus went world wide China was ready to kick things back into high gear having “defeated the virus”. By turning the tables, China could now come out on top even in the face of heavy losses while the word scrambled. The Hong Kong protests were crushed, new laws passed, protesters jailed, and SCS and ECS activities skyrocketed, putting pressure on JApan and Taiwan. China secured its borders to the south, east, and eventually west which led to small conflict with India. China now prepares to secure its border with Russia, Mongolia, and Kazakhstan while increasing number of imprisoned Uighurs to prevent uprisings. And it goes on and on - China is now threatening the Pres-elect Biden to end the tariffs immediately.

I’ll stick with the accidental lab release followed by a disgusting CCP cover up theory.

5 Likes

Another report on the ‘UK strain’ (B.1.1.7): This time suggesting that during the recent lockdown in UK the typical version of the virus was receding (R<1), as you would hope for stricter control measures, however during this time the new strain was spreading (R>1). This could imply stricter measures are required to control.

Findings : We find strong and consistent evidence that B.1.1.7 proliferated (R>1) during the English lockdown in 86% (215/246) of lower tier local authorities with an average R value of 1.26. At the same time other lineages contracted (R<1) at an average R value of 0.86 in most regions, leading to 81% (200/246) of regions showing B.1.1.7 proliferation while other lineages diminished.
Implications : The emerging B.1.1.7 SARS-CoV-2 lineage spreads faster than its predecessors. It continued to grow during a lockdown in which other lineages shrank. These analyses suggest that stricter measures are required to contain the B.1.1.7 lineage.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Sounds like we need Bruce Willis.

Lockdown 2. “Isolate harder”

3 Likes