Covid-19 Research Thread

Interesting analysis with promising (not conclusive) findings. One kind of scary finding from a small pilot study in that paper is that a high percentage of asymptomatic healthcare workers were positive at the time they were randomly(?) selected for screeing:

“There were similarly no positive results in the group with previous infection 0/106 (0% [95% CI: 0-3.5]), compared to 22/375 (5.9% [95% CI: 3.9-8.7], P=0.011) positive PCR results in the group without previous infection, consistent with results of symptomatic testing.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-science/uk-variant-linked-to-high-viral-loads-neanderthal-gene-offers-protection-idUSKBN29C0GX

Neanderthal genetics have popped up yet again in new Covid research.

Neanderthal gene protects against COVID-19

A specific form of a protein passed down from Neanderthals protects against severe COVID-19, and medications that boost levels of this protein could potentially help treat the disease, according to a study reported on medRxiv on Thursday ahead of peer review. The protein, called OAS1, is involved in the body’s response to viruses. People with higher levels of the Neanderthal-related form of OAS1 are less susceptible to COVID-19, and if they do become infected, they are at lower risk for hospitalization, intubation and death, the researchers found. “This protective form of OAS1 is present in sub-Saharan Africans but was lost when the ancestors of modern-day Europeans migrated out of Africa. It was then re-introduced into the European population through mating with Neanderthals” who lived more than 40,000 years ago, said coauthor Brent Richards from the Jewish General Hospital and McGill University in Montreal. An earlier study linked a cluster of genes inherited from Neanderthals to higher risks of hospitalization from COVID-19. “These findings further implicate Neanderthal ancestry in COVID-19 severity,” Richards said.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s Joe Rogan but the other guy is apart of the WHO. It is pretty despicable how politics has crept it’s way into science so heavily. Which makes you think, has it always been this way? What would have happened if a western country had had such an accident? Just too many coincidences to not believe it didn’t come from a lab.

Since this is a new vaccine research still in early stages of development, and not even close to an actual vaccine yet, I thought it might be more suitable here.

This study is conducted by Taiwanese researchers. They created an antibody that avoids binding to regions prone to mutation, so that the variants of the virus cannot avoid detection.

1 Like

Perhaps they are running away, from each other.

“Run From The Running”

Could go viral very quickly once critical mass was achieved.

Or with a post count of 444.

Uh?

There were 444 posts in this thread at your previous Running Away comment. Which is a bad number for some people.

Pardon my drug-addled posts recently.

Enjoy your typhoon, we are looking forward to it .

Die die die!

Results The delta variant (B.1.617.2) was identified in the majority of cases. Despite similar Ct-values, we demonstrate lower probability of infectious virus detection in respiratory samples of vaccinated HCWs with breakthrough infections compared to unvaccinated HCWs with primary SARS-CoV-2 infections. Nevertheless, infectious virus was found in 68.6% of breakthrough infections and Ct-values decreased throughout the first 3 days of illness.

Conclusions We conclude that rare vaccine breakthrough infections occur, but infectious virus shedding is reduced in these cases.

2 Likes

Ah! A Chinese Culture Thing. “Uh?”, then, was all that needed to be said.

1 Like

An interesting read all around, yes written in the mail, but most of this info is discussed with professor Tang of Leceister university UK.
Interesting how he proposes that due to most of us socially mixing less , we maybe more vulnerable to other respiratory illnesses similar to Covid (symptoms) and he mentions the accuracy of testing is maybe not as good as commonly assumed.

It’s interesting, but there are other respiratory viruses out there, and as people mix more they are vulnerable to be infected. Some will be suffering from long covid but testing negative because they’ve clear the infection.

She adds: ‘I suddenly lost my sense of smell and taste, which is really weird. I’ve never had that before.

‘It’s not like when you have a cold, you can’t taste things, and then if you blow your nose you can momentarily taste things. This was the absolute absence of smell and taste.

#> ## I’ve had every Covid symptom going… but still test negative

Mystified: Mollie Whittaker, who was left unable to move from her sofa by a Covid-like illness

Mystified: Mollie Whittaker, who was left unable to move from her sofa by a Covid-like illness

Mollie Whittaker, a dental nurse from Southampton, has suffered ‘every Covid symptom going’ on and off since the end of August.

It began as a severe lethargy, and days later, transformed into the Covid-type illness we all recognise.

‘Within a day or so of feeling exhausted I took a rapid test because I was supposed to be going to a festival that weekend,’ says the 23-year-old.

‘I’d gone out for dinner at a local restaurant a couple of days before, so I assumed I’d caught it off someone there. But the test came back negative, so I figured everything was fine.’

By the end of the festival, Mollie, who has been fully vaccinated since January due to her job in healthcare, had acquired a ‘non-stop’ dry cough, a temperature and a loss of taste and smell.

Two days after she got home, Mollie ordered a PCR test from the Government website, which took a day and a half to arrive. She took it, sent it off, and two days later the results arrived: negative. But her symptoms gradually worsened, leaving her unable to move from her sofa and feeling as though she’d been ‘thrown out of a building’. She’s been unable to work since the end of last month.

After lateral flow tests came back negative, Mollie booked a telephone appointment with her GP, who said she couldn’t possibly have Covid if she’d tested negative. She was given a prescription for antibiotics to treat a chest infection, which have yet to work. ‘I’m sure it was Covid – I know what a bad chest infection is like and this is definitely not that,’ she says.

‘The worst thing is, I worry my boss thinks the tests must be right, so I must be pulling a fast one. But all I want is for this illness to end so I can go back to work.

‘As far as I’m concerned, I’ve had Covid. The tests must be wrong.’

‘And this I knew was very specific to Covid.’

And this loss of smell and taste happened to me years ago and it was not covid. So it’s not specific to covid, although it is also a symptom of covid.

1 Like

All of that is true, but variants can also cause false negative results on some tests. See

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/sars-cov-2-viral-mutations-impact-covid-19-tests

for examples.
Other factors can cause false negative results, such as poor sampling. Or low viral loads early during infection.

2 Likes

Yes all of these issues are well known and the rates can be calculated for false negatives and false positives. PCR tests are updated periodically with new primers to reflect new variant emergence . Old kits are withdraw from the market. It’s normal.

RTPCR is extremely sensitive if you are infected currently it will almost certainly pick it up, especially with a common variant such as Delta.

The media sensationalise a lot of stuff this is just a bunch of random people reporting fairly random symptom, the fact is we often get sick and don’t know what the cause of it is.

3 Likes

I nearly always put it down to viruses. When I just feel like I have Flu for one day then it clears up. I get that more often in New Taipei City than in Europe. Just wake up feeling like death and then 12 hours later just fine. Nowadays days I might think “f…k its Covid”.

Yes, they are very sensitive. Still, a number of analytical and preanalytical factors can lead to clinically false-negative results. If there is little circulating Covid, your symptoms are mild, and your test comes back negative, it is probably a true negative. But if you’ve lost smell and taste or there is a lot of Covid in the area, then I would want a retest. I have no idea how you’d calculate false negative rates in a real-world setting.

1 Like

I wonder if all the import infections are true positive or false negatives. Feel like there are just way too many that "test negative 3 days before their flight, but positive at the end of their quarantine.

1 Like

More like false positives I think . Would love that understand what Taiwan calls a positive , below what CT value ? One of the big problems you have different conditions and different test platforms for the overseas tests compared to the Taiwan test.

But of course you’ve got some who just got infected and they were true negatives for test prior to the flight and are true positives (currently infectious ) after they arrive.

1 Like

Posting this in the “research” thread: it seems that man’s best friend may also be good at detecting COVID infections.

Guy

3 Likes