😷 COVID - Canada | Going to Canada(?)

To all the Canadians here, are you going to Canada for this summer?
If not then that’s OK as long as you get the chance to stay in Taiwan
longer.

For me, I got 2 job offers in Canada. I accepted one of them and I will
accept the other (before the May 10th deadline). If my school or office
of education does not renew my contract, then that’s OK because I will
still have a job in Canada to go to. The issue is I will have to deal with the
red tape for getting clearance for the 14 day quarantine, and the on-arrival
PCR test at the airport in Canada. If my employer does offer me the chance
to renew my contract, then I will have a tough decision to make.

But it does not matter if you will remain working in Taiwan or not, you
still have to go through the red tape regarding COVID-19 testing. If you
don’t want to deal with it, then as long as you can stay here, then stay here.

Canada’s still a mess—though happily daily cases are finally dropping a bit after a month of exponential growth.

With mass vaccination, one hopes that the situation will stabilize by September. Come on people, get this done!

Guy

1 Like

I don’t know. I’m doing what I can now to get vaccinated. In June and July I’ll see what the regulations are and how they will have changed. If I buy a ticket it’ll be far more last minute than usual.

My guess is that Canada will have loosened requirements for the vaccinated by then, and Taiwan won’t have changed anything because the vaccination rate here will remain a rounding error, but it’s all just a guess.

1 Like

First of all, if I were you I would not trust the AstraZeneca Vaccine they have here in Taiwan although you may only have a 4 in 10 million chance (whatever the ratio is) of getting a blood clot.
Second, the vaccination rollout here in Taiwan seems to be, or is perhaps more slower than Canada, so I wouldn’t count getting vaccinated here.

Third, I don’t know how it will be this summer, but so far anybody who arrives in Canada being vaccinated will not be exempt from the PCR tests and quarantine. If that’s how it is, then I would rather go back to Canada unvaccinated with a negative PCR test result.

Why do you say that? Are you aware of @lostinasia 's age, gender, and health condition?

Why do you think the ones in Taiwan (manufactured in Korea) are substandard?

Why do you think it’s safer to travel unvaccinated than with this particular vaccine?

Guy

I am not expecting this to stabilize this September because the vaccination rate in Canada is slow, slower than the USA. There are some people who will refuse the vaccination because the vaccines in truth are not fully approved by the FDA next door in the USA, and there are just some people who are completely reluctant to getting the vaccine.

I tried calling my MP to no avail.

1 Like

Because it makes no sense for you to go through all that extra scrutiny if you are already vaccinated. If air passengers are already vaccinated, all they have to do is wear a mask on the plane (except for when eating), and when they enter another the country, show an official document to prove that this person is vaccinated. That’s what Canada should do, but no, Canada is not giving exemptions for the vaccinated. Therefore if that’s how they want to be, then I might was well go back to Canada unvaccinated with a mask on my face.

I once tried to reach my MP by email, no luck.

You can’t change government policy, but you can protect yourself. That’s the purpose of vaccination.

Guy

1 Like

Call. It’s the only way to get a person.

You’re not me. You want to face the higher risk of Covid versus the lower risk from the Astrazeneca vaccine, you go right ahead. If you’re insinuating that the vaccine “they have here in Taiwan” is somehow not the genuine AstraZeneca vaccine and I shouldn’t trust it, then you should provide at least some evidence before spreading that kind of rumor about the safety of vaccines in Taiwan. Why would you trust the AstraZeneca you’re quite likely to get in Canada more than the one you’d get here in Taiwan?

Note that the AstraZeneca vaccine has been rolled out in Canada and has been quite popular with my demographic. The Canadian government trusts it, while acknowledging the very real but very small risks. Of course, that’s not the be all and end all.

That’s interesting logic. “Vaccines here are unsafe. And they’re rolling out too slowly.” Unsure what you mean here. Note that refusing to take the vaccine here is a pretty good guarantee that you’re not going to get vaccinated here. I guess it comes down to “Taiwan will give me a vaccine, but I don’t like it, so I can’t get a vaccine here.”

Canada is doing OK. I’ve seen some projections that Canada will actually overtake the USA in a month or two, because the rates of vaccine-unwillingness are higher in the US. US rate seems to be slowing down, anyway. No one knows what’s going to be happen this summer - but I think there’s a non-zero chance of a relatively normal summer this year. If the situation is such that I’m unable to get there, so be it, but right now the only thing I have any control over is whether or not I get a vaccine. So, I’ve had the first shot of the vaccine. I’m doing what I currently can to make it more likely to see my family this summer.

That’s your decision. Personally I feel that if I’m vaccinated, I’ll be less risk to myself, my students in Taiwan, others on any future flights, and people I see in Canada. Summer’s a couple of months away - things could change a lot in that time.

Not yet. You’re making big assumptions about what will be happening in a few months. It’s just four days ago that it started to look like the EU will let in vaccinated American tourists this summer.

Again, interesting logic. “Canada doesn’t give me any perks if I protect myself and those I care about from the virus - so why should I make myself safer?!”

10 Likes

Like the old joke: “The food here is terrible. And the portions are so small!” :rofl:

Guy

2 Likes

Nah. If cases drop enough in hawaii I could meet parents there and have a vacation at the same time.

1 Like

I did not literally say that the vaccines are unsafe. I just cannot trust the AstraZeneca vaccine if there was less than a hand full of people who got blot clots. Just suppose I get vaccinated with the AstraZeneca vaccine and I get a blood clot? You think I can file a lawsuit if that blood clot causes me some really bad health problems? I am not being an anti-vaxxer, all I am saying is that you cannot unvaccinate yourself once you get that jab. Besides, the COVID vaccines were not yet fully approved by the FDA.

Let’s try to stay on topic.
Yes, we know what’s going on, and yes it is a mess in Canada because of
people being non-compliant, and the governments in the federal and
provincial levels being senseless.
As I said I got 2 job offers in Canada, however if my employer gives me
a chance to renew my contract here in Taiwan, what would you rather do
if you were in my shoes?

Stay there. TBH, we don’t need more people here who are more worried about an infinitesimally small chance that something may happen and their ability to sue vs getting our numbers down so we can have a decent summer. There will be enough problems with people already here who won’t get vaccinated based on: clots, 5G, Bill Gates, and/or the zombie apocalypse …

3 Likes

Just so you know, I am not one of these QAnon fools that follow false and baseless conspiracy theories. I am willing to take the vaccine but not too soon.

Define “too soon” … we could all sit here waiting around, and be in this for another year or more (with a much greater chance of catching COVID).

I don’t get yearly flu shots, see a doctor only when absolutely necessary, and rely on eating (predominantly) nutritious food and regular exercise to stay healthy. As soon as a vaccine was available, I got it (AZ).

5 Likes

You just need to compare the risks of getting clots by AZ, and getting covid19 (which could be avoided by AZ) in Canada before you would get a different vaccine. Of course, there are risks of covid19 which may not be avoided by AZ, etc., and you could be asymptomatic or it could become very severe, so you should consider everything to make a decision.