šŸ˜· COVID - Do you support implementing vaccine passports?

What, the Russell Brand look is outrƩ now?

1 Like

Iā€™m probably the last person to ask about anything fashion related. We just wear full on Adidas trackies with headbands out here.

(Assuming by look you mean the shirt/jacket combo, not the aggressive staring)

What about signing a [COVID-19] waiver form like when you go bungee jumping or parachuting if transportation/travel firms absolutely want to get back to normal?

2 Likes

I meant general disheveledness plus male cleavage.

Oh, genuinely sorry ā€“ I didnā€™t watch the video when I posted that. It actually is Russell Brand! :doh: At least heā€™s totally nailing his own look!

1 Like

Yes, or like when you donā€™t have an onward ticket and an airline wants your credit card number ā€œjust in caseā€ you get refused entry to the destination country, but thereā€™s no way in Hell youā€™re giving it to them (so they have you sign a waiver).

You have got to be kidding me. Have you not been following the (subsequent) news on Russiaā€™s little bouts of expansionism? They made that little point for a reason.

Fair enough. Although I wasnā€™t suggesting itā€™s going to end. Itā€™s going to be different, and not in a new-golden-age way.

I imagine insurance companies could realise a very large stream of income over the next couple of years via COVID indemnity payments from people who refuse to take the vaccine but still wish to travel. Itā€™s surely only a matter of time before they latch onto that one. Whether it happens depends on who wins the backroom squabble for profits.

Assuming this COVID passport BS ever happens, itā€™ll inevitably turn into another pointless ritual like throwing your water bottle away at security.

1 Like

the actuaries are hard at work calculating the #s

One hand on the keyboard and one hand down their pants.

I honestly donā€™t think this covid passport will really fly (no pun intended) as it is trivial to say you have adverse reaction to vaccines or its against your religion of pastafarianism or whatever and Iā€™m sure exemptions will be given whether valid or not.
Look how many people were bringing comfort animals onto planes for years before they finally caught on

That said I could see certain countries insisting on the vaccine; others like Mexico never cared about tourists coming in even during the height of the pandemic.

1 Like

Yeah, it did occur to me that a whole bunch of people simply canā€™t take the vaccine for safety reasons. The vaccine was never tested on pregnant women, for example. The goal of vaccinating absolutely everybody (and issuing them with a certificate) is not just misguided and pointless, itā€™s not practically feasible.

Are there any religions that are fervently anti-vax? I think Iā€™ll sign up.

3 Likes

Even Trudeau said there will have enough vaccines for those that want them. From what I remembered 80% or so are expected to take it, they figure 20% wonā€™t, the excess will be donated to other countries.

Ah, at least we know where Taiwanā€™s vaccine supply is coming from, then ā€¦

I think Iā€™ll get a letter from the doctor that says Iā€™m trying to conceive. Donā€™t judge me.

Does Taiwan have some rule on people who come here who are vaccinated? Iā€™m planning on getting the vaccine soon and am wondering if Iā€™ll still have to go through the 14 + 7 + 1 ordeal again.

So far no new info on the reduction of the quarantine time as far as I heard.

Dan is correct.

So far, the Taiwan authorities have viewed vaccination and mandatory quarantine as separate matters.

The only variable affecting quarantine as I understand it is whether you are arriving from a what is deemed to be a low risk country or jurisdiction; an exception has been made for the families of victims of the recent TRA crash.

The latest update from the CDC is from April 7, with the following list (subject to change):

1. Low-risk countries/regions: New Zealand, Macao, Palau, Fiji, Brunei, Laos, Nauru, the Marshall Islands, Bhutan, Australia, Singapore, Vietnam.
2. Medium-risk countries/regions: Cambodia, Hong Kong.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/Detail/FXahd0Bv0MjkLfgVSIpguQ?typeid=158

Guy

1 Like

Iā€™m reading this as you saying Russia now has carte blanche to annex former Soviet territories specifically because the gas dispute a few years before Crimea demonstrated Russiaā€™s superpowers or somethingā€¦ I donā€™t quite see it that way, but whatevs. Weā€™re way off topic anyway.

But you did make a direct comparison to Fukuyamaā€™s bs, and you did say words to the effect of ā€œChina has wonā€ and speak of it being too late even for an ā€œhonourable suicideā€ by the Westā€¦

Go ahead and revise that to a mere life-as-we-know-it-is-over, if you like. Life as we knew it before 9/11 is also over, and life as we knew it before AIDS is also over, and so onā€¦ History continues in spite of everything. And the West still leads by most measures.

In global chessboard terms, Covid is a complication for both sides, not a suicide move by one. :2cents:

1 Like

Whut? I think youā€™re reading stuff that you want to see in a Finley post.

Fair enough. Letā€™s see how it pans out. :popcorn:

Recently I remarked that Comrade F is my favorite person to disagree with. :heart_eyes:

Have I lost the plot?

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: Signs point to yes

2 Likes

And with that, I humbly vow not to derail this ā€œInternational Travelā€ thread any further. :bowing: