😷 COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

My American 777 Aeroplane

Looks like Japan is opening without restrictions on October 11.

6 Likes

Kyodo News reports on Kishida’s announcement. Cap on number of arrivals to be lifted; visa free entry to be resumed.

Given the timing, it’s almost like government authorities in Taiwan and Japan actually, you know, talk to each other. :grin:

Guy

2 Likes

I wouldn’t hurry to go there for a while, fares are still around TWD20K to Fukuoka and return. Osaka is about the same.

1 Like

Idon’tcarejusttakemymoney!!!

:grin:

Guy

2 Likes

Read the fine guys. Japanese are also bound to a very conservative electorate.

Before I click “purchase ticket,” what should I know?

Guy

1 Like

Let me finish the YouTube I am watching on the subject. They tore the last announcement apart and I am expecting them to do the same if there are more gaps.

1 Like

Hope the budget airlines get going soon.

It looks like travel agencies such as Lion are already setting up package tours to Japan. From Focus Taiwan:

For people who wish to book individual tours, the travel agency is offering seven-day packages at a cost of NT$17,888 (US$564), and five-day packages at NT$15,888, both covering airfare and hotel accommodation only.

This does seem considerably cheaper than the fares that @yinggeaussie found.

Source: https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202209230015

Guy

1 Like

Well, both EVA and CI are doubling the number of flights.

Ah the good old lines at CKS, how much we miss them.

1 Like

Which makes me wonder: as traffic ramps up, will TPE encounter the same sorts of issues (aka dysfunction) we saw this summer at London Heathrow, Toronto Pearson, and other major airports?

Guy

2 Likes

Maybe they can just switch the battalion of COVID workers to other tasks.

Maybe not, as the airlines here did not go through massive firings. They put their planes to good use doing cargo, even the passenger planes.

Interestingly, just now as recession is hitting exports, planes will be filled with desperate for a vacation abroad Taiwanese.

If you have the cash:

So far, several news commentaries/YouTubers/, who were tearing the Japanese government previous plan apart, agree it seems they are really opening good. Key issues like tour or guided or visas have been addressed.

Most have pointed out the vaccination as per Japan’s list still goes. No word yet if special insurance is still required. Previous countries that had no visa requirements benefit. So far, so good.

Aside from that, Tigerair is offering 16k to Osaka. Ah, Kyoto in the fall…

Note: the government removed the outside mask requirement in June but Japanese still voluntarily wear. The discussion now is about foreigners not wearing masks in Japan and a law is being discussed to enforce wearing say in hotel. This could be a point of friction.

When in Rome…just saying.

1 Like

Filipinos can travel to Taiwan visa-free starting September 29

They would be joining the current visa-free groups (including those from North America, the UK, the EU, and Down Under)—all still subject to 3+4 until additional liberalization arrives in October.

Guy

1 Like

The only difference is the length of stay, as per past regulations: some get 90 days, others 60, others 30.

1 Like

No vax, no mask, no quarantine necessary in Canada:

Canada will drop all COVID-19 restrictions for travelers from Oct. 1, including vaccination and masking requirements for flights and trains, the government said on Monday.

Travelers, regardless of citizenship, will not have to submit health information through the ArriveCAN app or provide proof of vaccination from Saturday.

A requirement for travelers to wear masks on planes and trains would also be dropped. Cruise ship passengers and crew would also no longer be subject to vaccine requirements or COVID testing.