šŸ˜· COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

Following up on @Icon 's helpful advice:

Guy

1 Like

Guys can anyone recommend an expedite testing facility? A pal travels Wednesday and urgently needs the PCR they are asking now for all travelers from China, Taiwan and HK.

Muchas gracias

So Taiwan has been lumped in with China for some countries/airlines?

Wait, who is ā€œtheyā€? :grimacing:

Guy

1 Like

Places that lump Taiwan with China.

Ai! Thank goodness I am travelling to Japan where such grave forms of conflation are absent. Good luck to your pal . . .

Guy

1 Like

Yep, for Japan, as long as you have the vaccination record, youā€™re good.

Got an address to a clinic here. Worked like a charm. Heā€™s a happy customer.

1 Like

Can anyone confirm INCOMING travellers to Taiwan do not need a vaccine certificate?

Vaccination status is not checked or required for folks entering Taiwan.

The one group that continues to get attention (with required tests before arrival) are arrivals from China (and, in a slightly different form, HK and Macau).

Guy

2 Likes

Maybe my comment comes a bit late, but I noticed that a huge problem was that only two TSA lines were open for scanning your carry on bags (at least on 16/01/23). Also, the TPE seemed a bit understaffed for the amount of traffic they were dealing with before LNY.

1 Like

I can confirm! When you arrive, nobody checks anything related to vaccines. But they give you a free rapid test kit before going to baggage claim.

3 Likes

It seems I got lucky as I blazed through security both times I travelled in January, one time at TSA and one time at TPE.

Guy

1 Like

Absolutely! Did you have an unpopular time to fly? (too early or too late) Iā€™d like to know which times are the best, so I can avoid the crowds next time :sweat_smile:

Avoid the new year crowd? And, based on my experience: avoid Monday mornings at TPE! That was some years ago, but the crowds I encountered are still imprinted on my mind. I could barely move in Terminal 2. :grimacing:

Guy

1 Like

Great advice! Iā€™d like to avoid flying around the LNY, but my spouse works in a hospital, so, unfortunately, itā€™s one of the rare long breaks she gets.

2 Likes

Yes T2 was a madhouse this morning.

2 Likes

Glad to hear that. It was the same for me but I thought they must have the info on record. I still wonder if there is any difference between us residents and visitors. Oh well.

Anyways, I am quite annoyed as my Google-fu has failed me. I have searched the CECC extensively, as well as local media. Canā€™t find a quote on this issue.

1 Like

Perhaps thatā€™s because thereā€™s been no change to policy? I donā€™t think the authorities in Taiwan required any arrivals to show vaccination records at any time. The CECCā€™s go-to method, before it was discontinued, was quarantine on arrival for (almost) everyone, regardless of vaccination status.

Guy

1 Like

They certainly didnā€™t when I returned back in November.

1 Like

There are no checks or silly rituals of any kind. You get off the plane at TPE, pick up a box of COVID tests if you want one, and go home. They do not check your ā€œvaccination statusā€ on boarding unless you are exiting from a country that performs this check as a matter of routine.

But yeah, the CECCā€™s website absolutely sucks. Given the constant fiddling with policy, you would expect a clear, up-to-date description to be front and centre either there or on the Immigration website. Itā€™s nowhere to be found.