😷 COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

Approved Gold Card and Special Entry Visa.

Because everybody wants to travel right now. Even if you can go somewhere, you’d have to be crazy to go abroad when 99.9999999% of medical insurance and evacuation policies exclude pandemic coverage.

1 Like

As noted above by Andrew, Turkish Airlines is restarting their flights to Taoyuan. Starting August 5, they will apparently be flying here three times per week:

Guy

2 Likes

Some information for anyone thinking of flying. This is from Canada, haven’t seen any data from other airports.

2 Likes

Glad to know I am not the only one longing to fly. The Japanese suffer now from Taiwan Loss: Withdrawal Syndrome from not being able to Travel to Taiwan. I need my Japan fix.

1 Like

There was a new table published by the Taiwan National Immigration Agency detailing who can or can’t enter Taiwan. However, because they use both “national” and “citizen” language in the document, it’s not clear to me what traveler type NWOHRs are considered. As a NWOHR, I am a Taiwan national but not a citizen (they use the “citizen” language in the title as well as Note #2 regarding COVID tests). Anyone have any insight?

Has anyone entered Taiwan since the COVID test requirement began? I’m married to a Taiwanese national (but our marriage is not yet registered in Taiwan), so TECO gave me a visitor’s visa with special Covid entry permit saying I could apply for a residence visa in Taiwan.

However, different websites say different things about the requirement. Some sites say the test has to be taken within 3 days of the flight to Taiwan, some say the result has to be issued within 3 days of the flight, others say complicated things about how the date is calculated, others say “working days” done count. Even when we call the different agencies, they give us different answers.

Does anyone have any experience with how this is practically enforced? We’re flying from the US to Taiwan on August 3rd and aren’t sure what date the test will have to be taken/issued to be accepted by EVA Air and the authorities in Taiwan.

1 Like

@qinqinbaobaojugaogao, just edit the above to be “3 work days before test date” (thus if flight on Monday, should not include weekend).
It is test date, NOT the issue date.
That link above has Eva Air phone # to call. They know exactly the details.

Hi @qinqinbaobaojugaogao

May I please ask you few questions? I am in a similar situation as yours.

I am trying to get details on how to obtain any special permits to visit Taiwan to see my wife and son. I am a US citizen. The Los Angeles TECO doesn’t answer phone calls or doesn’t reply emails. It’s been 3-4 weeks. I am still trying.

Did you visit the TECO office to get the special visa?

Thx

The LA TECO may be closed. Employees may be working from home, or the office may only be open part of the week.

I was stranded in the US in late March and April. My Taiwanese wife contacted BOFA and learned about (what was then) the new special entry visa. I was in Texas and when I called Houston TECO I got no answer. Left a voicemail, but that evening I emailed the Houston and Chicago TECO offices with questions about the SEV.

I was surprised to get a phone call from Houston TECO the next morning. Found out that TECO had shut down all offices in the US except Washington, DC, and Houston. I would not have learned that easily if Houston hadn’t called me (might have taken 3-4 weeks).

I’d advise blasting an email addressed to all known TECO offices in the US. I think a lot of them have resumed office hours (at least in part), but you should get a response from the nearest TECO soon.

Good luck.

I corresponded with them by phone initially, though it wasn’t easy because they kept giving me conflicting information about what I needed and what visa I needed to apply for. I would imagine it’s a bit easier now since they’ve opened up the permit applications a bit. I had to go in to the office (in Denver) to submit the application, though they mentioned they were accepting applications by mail as well. If you’re not able to get through to the LA TECO by phone and they’re not posting any information on their site, you might try calling the DC office for advice?

I’m flying back in 2 weeks. What can I expect besides 2 weeks of quarantine?

1 Like

What do you mean? Weather? Life style? Stimulus vouchers?

Anything different with customs? Do they call me everyday?

You can read these threads:

1 Like

But answering your questions,

Long process to do regarding the coronavirus and quarantine (where you come from, where will you be staying, etc). Details in the threads linked above.
I don’t think there’s anything different regarding baggage claim or prohibited items.

They will message you. If you don’t reply, they will call you. If you don’t answer, they will visit you. If you are not at home, they will fine you.

4 Likes

Thank you for pointing me to this thread! It was very helpful.

Bring snacks and books and a plan. Which movies to watch, which exercise drills you can do with limited space, etc.

No meat though. You can’t bring any meat products.

2 Likes

I sympathize with these poor Japanese. If I was unable to travel to Taiwan, I would also have a case of Taiwan Rossu. In fact, the last few weeks I have started to feel symptoms of mild Nippon Rossu and I fear the cure is still a pretty long ways off.

2 Likes