I am Quarantined and here is how it happened

I am now quarantined for 2 weeks due to coming from Okinawa. Apparently the change happened while I was in the air. I was on a plane that could have held 150 people, but there were only 5 of us. More staff on the plane than passengers. As we walked off the plane we were handed “the newest” quarantine information forms saying we all were going to be quarantined for 14 days no matter what. OK.

Here’s the problem. Instead of keeping 5 passengers from Okinawa together and taking our information, we were herded into a CDC immigration line of close to 200 people, maybe more. This included passengers from Thailand, Singapore, Japan, Philippines, etc. So there were nearly 200 people from all of these nations thrown together for nearly 4 hours as they processed everyone’s information (stays, travel plans, visas, phone contact numbers, etc.) and provided us with the information on what we had to do to quarantine. Because of this I am nearly CERTAIN that if anyone was exposed, we now all were because even though we had masks I saw at least 1 mask down every 30 seconds. A security person from the airport also walked by coughing hysterically with her mask only over her mouth and not her nose, twice. This was a hearts in the right place action, implemented extremely poorly. How do I put this information out??

15 Likes

yeah well, good luck to you. you did this to yourself, don’t blame immigration or security officers for that.

1 Like

What’s your complaint? Didn’t have a VIP line and a 5 star hotel room for quarantine?

2 Likes

Wow, that sucks! Hope you’re okay. If you don’t mind, please share your quarantine experiences over the next 14 days. It will be good for all of us to understand how that works in practice. And I’m seriously reconsidering if I should join the annual International clown conference later this year (if it takes place), so it would be good to know all the implications.

9 Likes

Not in a good mood, are we?

8 Likes

i’m in a perfect mood. social distancing and self-quarantining is what have trained all my life for :crazy_face: just no mercy for those suckers who think can travel recklessly and when they get caught in a bad situation it’s everybody else’s fault but theirs. now go to your clown conference. :partying_face:

1 Like

Presumably, OP was on a visa run… OP is that a correct assumption?

By choosing to bypass proper protocol of getting a residence permit, OP has put himself/ herself in this position and not only increases personal risk of exposure to contracting the virus but also increases exposing others to risk.

4 Likes

With 14 day quarantine on each side, visa runs will now take a month :rofl:

5 Likes

The problem stems from bureaucrats at the top issuing diktats without considering logistics. Yes, in a brainstorming meeting it would seem obvious to take so many details from anyone entering a country. They just didn’t think through how it could be done.

5 Likes

Everybody would have had, in their view, a valid reason for flying. Either the government temporarily bans all flights or situations like the OP’s will continue to occur.

4 Likes

I started thinking about how you would organize it. I guess you could compromise by keeping people coming from the same plane in a group (something like 40 groups based on OP’s numbers) and ask them to wait their turn, standing or sitting on the floor, each group spaced 3m apart. There’s the space, that could work as long as you don’t bump into an entitled nainai trying to cut lines.

2 Likes

It would be good if you have proof of it, like pictures of the 200 people camped together etc, something like they did in O’Hare airport where they published those pictures in public forums, Twitter etc. I had the news on just now and the report was about how everything is smooth and light fast at the airport for arrivals screening and quarantine handling. It would be great if you post pictures.

2 Likes

OP’s travel could have been due to a family emergency. I hold back my like until the visa run assumption is confirmed.

2 Likes

Damn, I thought this was the International Clown Conference!! :clown_face:

3 Likes

lol no no, I’m saying everyone shouldn’t have been thrown together. If you are quarantining people, quarantine them! don’t throw everyone together hahahaha that defeats the purpose.

5 Likes

I wanna know how they track your movement. A friend of a friend had 6 policemen pound down his door as they thought he had broken quarantine, he had actually transferred to a hospital.

2 Likes

They took cell information from everyone. I assume that is how? I am not certain though. I also believe they probably check CCTV and apartment entrance cams.

haha me being brilliant had a dead cellphone. Which caused me to have to provide a friend’s number too in order to reach me, though I do have a local cell. Everyone was taking pictures though, I’m sure you can find a bunch on insta

1 Like

ah terribly it was neither. It was for a fucking bachelor party.

2 Likes

Yep. I would leave each planeload waiting outside the plane and then deal with them one planeload at a time. There are so few passengers coming in on each plane that it should be feasible. Worse case scenario is someone infects the other passengers on their plane.

7 Likes