šŸ˜· COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

Reading your post reminded meā€¦oh Vancouverā€¦ If I score a direct flight, I might make a reservation. But this time I will stay away from Chinatown. And the cruise docking area. And Richmond. Whatā€™s left?

Hmmm maybe I will be there for the final conventionā€¦

2 Likes

Thatā€™s tough.

ā€œ A Korean Air flight from South Korea landed at Tel Avivā€™s Ben Gurion airport Saturday evening. Only 12 Israelis were allowed off the plane and were immediately taken to their homes, the ministry said. Approximately 200 foreign nationals were not allowed off the plane. Instead, the plane was refueled and sent back to its origin.ā€

2 hr 2 min ago

Israel expands restrictions on foreign nationals as fears mount

From CNNā€™s Amir Tal and Oren Liebermann

Israeli Professor Galia Rahavm, the head of infectious diseases, stands in one of the rooms where Israelis returning from China will stay under observation and isolation to control the spread of the coronavirus, at the Chaim Sheba Medical Center at Tel Hashomer near Tel Aviv on Wednesday, February 19.

Israeli Professor Galia Rahavm, the head of infectious diseases, stands in one of the rooms where Israelis returning from China will stay under observation and isolation to control the spread of the coronavirus, at the Chaim Sheba Medical Center at Tel Hashomer near Tel Aviv on Wednesday, February 19. Heidi Levine/AFP/Getty Images

Israel expanded its restrictions on the entry of foreign nationals to include anyone who has been in South Korea and Japan in the last 14 days, the Health Ministry announced Saturday afternoon.

A Korean Air flight from South Korea landed at Tel Avivā€™s Ben Gurion airport Saturday evening. Only 12 Israelis were allowed off the plane and were immediately taken to their homes, the ministry said. Approximately 200 foreign nationals were not allowed off the plane. Instead, the plane was refueled and sent back to its origin.

Last week, Israel announced that any foreign national who had been in Thailand, Singapore, Macau, or Hong Kong in the previous 14 days would be denied entry.

Israel has already barred foreigners who have recently traveled through China from entering the country.

Earlier Saturday, the Health Ministry warned that nine South Korean tourists who had been part of a tour group in Israel were diagnosed with coronavirus upon returning to South Korea. Anyone who came into close contact with the tourists for an extended period of time was instructed to self-quarantine.

Already, 20 workers of Israelā€™s Natural Parks Authority who encountered the tour group will self-quarantine until at least Wednesday, the ministry said.

A class of 30 students and two teachers who came into contact with the tour group will self-quarantine until Thursday. Another teacher is already being tested at Soroka hospital in Tel Aviv.

Late Saturday, the ministry announced that another group of 60 students and 6 adults, including teachers and security guards, would self-quarantine, after coming into contact with the South Korean tourists. None of this latest group is showing any symptoms or coronavirus, the ministry said.

1 Like

This is what I fear for Taiwan, that flights from TPE could suffer a similar fate in international airports around the world.

The situation seems sub-critical for now, but I fear that the kind of drastic, last-minute decision made by Israelā€™s Health Ministry - where events happening in mid-flight influence debarkation decisions - will become more typical going forward.

1 Like

I think this is how it should work, assess any flight that is already in the air upon landing. I donā€™t see the point in quarantining a someplace but giving them 2 of 3 days notice.

Not doing to dispute this is the best policy for like, humankind.

But thatā€™s not what Israel did afaik. There was no 2-3 days of warning, instead a decision was made to change the rules in mid-flight. South Koreans who in good faith thought they were going to Tel Aviv were instead sent back home.

Even if the decision is made without several days of warning, it may be the best decision for the host nation.

That doesnā€™t stop me worrying or resenting the effect it could have on me and my livelihood, however. I have never claimed sainthood, you know.

Is Taiwan turning any countries away other than China? I heard that if youā€™re returning from Thailand, korea and japan youā€™re forced into a 14-day home ban.

Lol. I may have to do a visa run to the states now.

Edit: fixed some stuff after reading the other thrhead

There are still flights coming in from Hong Kong and Shanghai:

https://www.taipei-airport.com/taoyuan-arrivals

1 Like

What i have seen in the news, Israel made the risk assessment and implemented the decision affective immediately. I commend them on this for putting the health of the people first, when it came to banning flights from china (or parts of china in some cases) some countries where giving a couple of days notice.

1 Like

I am very strained because I need to go on a international far trip soon, havenā€™t bought the tickets yet because I share the same fears as you do.

My wife told me last night that Taiwan has not banned all flights originating from China. Only flights originating from certain cities in China have been banned, like Wuhan of course.

So, apparently we are still getting flights from Shanghai and Beijing, etc.

Does that mean that Chinese are still allowed entry into Taiwan? If so, I donā€™t see how we are going to be able to stop the spread of the Coronavirus here in Taiwan.

Andā€¦next weekā€¦I predict it will really rage once the schools re-open on Tuesday. Fun times.

3 Likes

I think it goes without saying, now is not the time to be on a plane. Fly at your own riskā€¦

Risk of not being allowed back
Risk of being quarantined
Risk of catching the virus midflight or at the airport

If you can work via web conferencing or delay business trips, those are the better options.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, we are not.

If these people are being told to self quarantine at home, do you really think if they went through the trouble of flying from China to here they will spend 2 weeks at home? Really?

1 Like

I feel for the flight attendants on the China run a few times a week.

Yes, and obviously this situation is one where my personal costs/issues/inconveniences are less important when weighed against those suffering from Covid-19 or even those who may have excellent reason to deny me entry as a visitor. At least, I hope this is obvious.

This is, after all, the Coronavirus travel restrictions thread. Not the thread where others post news about the virus itself. This is where (I think we both assume) we can come to discuss these restrictions openly.

Anyway, I agree that making travel decisions is becoming more, not less difficult. It kinda sorta seems to be coming to a situation where the best we travelers inbound to Taiwan can hope for is a 14-day quarantine, no matter what. Guess we shall see.

1 Like

The worse situation would be if the country I am flying to decides to cancel flights to Taiwan once I am already there.

I donā€™t mind the quarantine heading back here, I mostly worry though if I will be able to be back.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s quite a lot of confusion in some of the above postsā€”understandably so given how travel restrictions keep changing.

About which entry restrictions are in effect around the world: Iā€™ve found this part of the Cathay Pacific website to be clear and helpful (even though taking Cathay Pacific now is NOT helpful as transiting in HKG airport means a mandatory 14 day quarantine after returning to Taiwan!):

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_TW/travel-information/travel-preparation/travel-advisories/notice-regarding-travel-restrictions.html

Note these country-by-country restrictions are apparently accurate as of February 20, 2020ā€”so things may still change.

Guy

3 Likes

From the Cathay Pacific link above:

ā€œPassengers travelling on a passport or document issued by the Peopleā€™s Republic of China, Hong Kong SAR or Macao SAR will not be permitted to enter Taiwan.ā€

Which means not all Chinese are allowed to enter. So I wonder what type of passengers are they bringing in those flights from Shanghai. Surely not 200 business men daily?

ā€œ Exemptions:

• Passengers holding a Taiwanese resident card or passengers who are the spouse of a Taiwanese citizen are permitted to enter
  • Hong Kong SAR and Macao SAR passport holders with an Exit/Entry Permit issued AFTER 11 February 2020 AND with a travel purpose of ā€œå•†å‹™å±„ē“„态č·Øåœ‹ä¼ę„­å…§éƒØčŖæ動ā€ (business purpose for the transnational enterprise). Passengers with such an entry permit will be allowed to enter Taiwan but will be required to undergo a 14-day ā€œhome quarantineā€ after entering Taiwanā€œ
1 Like

Seems that Israel made the decision AFTER the flight was already airborne, and then stayed quiet until it landed. Israelis allowed off, rest to leave immediately. Of course if the Captain had been told mid flight, god knows what he might have done, return, land somewhere? Tehran evenā€¦that would have really pleased the Israelis.

EDIT - seems they must at least have allowed a crew change, for the return flight departed on-time and flew back direct.

I think you maybe need to re-evaluate that ā€œneed to goā€¦ā€. If its employment related, the boss should know why its not wise. If its Visa related, forget the usual runs to HKG, BKK etc, consider Japan or even Guam instead, or even maybe take a trip to the NIA and ask for an extension.