šŸ˜· COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

Do they have better insurance/sick pay?

I wonder how many cases we would have if everyone could get a week off with pay.

I got the impression when I reported my case that the government doesnā€™t really have the capacity to do much after the initial report. Itā€™s possible that it varies by district and/or that I just slipped through the cracks, perhaps on account of being younger and lower risk or needing an English speaker to call me, but after my initial report I didnā€™t have any further contact with the local health office, CDC, or responsible doctor that I didnā€™t initiate (and that was only to get the quarantine notice revised ā€“ nobody showed any interest at all in my symptoms or whether Iā€™d recovered).

Had I required medical treatment, I guess I would have needed to arrange it myself. If Iā€™d just suddenly died, I think Iā€™d still be here with the government none the wiser. (Well, hopefully one of my simultaneously sick friends would have wondered why Iā€™d stopped answering. :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

We didnā€™t have a long conversation about it, but I gathered the doctor was trying to stress the ā€œthey wonā€™t care what happens to youā€ aspect of it, rather than the issue of being quarantined. In other words, if you need medical treatment while infected, whether COVID-related or not, you wonā€™t get it. IIRC it was @TaipAmy who experienced precisely this problem first-hand.

Just when I was starting to forget about it! :upside_down_face:

I do feel hopeful Iā€™ll be okay after a couple more surgeries though.

Ah, sorry! I only tagged you because I wasnā€™t 100% sure if it was you or not. Really hope thereā€™s no lasting damage from that episode.

1 Like

So South Korea is going from ā€œtest-flight-testā€ to ā€œflight-testā€?

Sounds like a bit of an economic trap - instead of testing positive in your home country, test positive over here!

Spend your money in our government quarantine :heart:

1 Like

That was my thought. Iā€™m guessing most people wonā€™t want to risk it.

Yeah, I really wanted to go to do the Four Rivers cycle from Incheon to Busan, but I donā€™t have time if I lose a week to self-isolation (well, i could do it in seven days but thatā€™s no fun)

Iā€™ll just go somewhere else which is more open and enjoy seven days more cycling.

So . . . Trans-Siberia?

Or dodge-the-lockdowns from Shanghai to Shenzhen? :rofl:

Guy

Canā€™t you just go if you know you donā€™t have Covid? Itā€™s not like you will suddenly turn positive once you enter Korea.

How would he know for certain?

He could use a rapid test here first I suppose. But plenty of people test positive after testing negative before a flight.

2 Likes

For Japan, thatā€™s actually a big change.

I have begun planning my trip to NYC around Thanksgiving time and holy fuck, the hotel rates are absolutely insane. Anything less than $100/night is a bed at a hostel and any decent-looking hotel is at least $150/night. :sick:

Basically same in London. I booked my room back in june, going there tomorrow, anything below 100 quid was wither a crack-joint or a hostel. Had to go to Greenwich to find a humble Travelodge for 70Ā£ a night. Insane, now prices even worse with the Queen funeralā€¦

Canā€™t recall it being cheaper than that in the year pre-Covid. NYC is fucking expensive. Thatā€™s why people rather go to Bakersfield.

I checked lodgings in London and itā€™s a lot cheaper. Still very expensive though. I visited London early 2020 and I got a very good deal at a decent hotel near Paddington. It was like barley Ā£40 a night and breakfast was included.

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: The domestic mask mandate complaint thread

Please keep the discussion to traveling here.

Thanks yā€™all!

:cowboy_hat_face:

Any recent experiences crossing the Pacific on American airlines? Iā€™m thinking food and overall comfort. Iā€™ve been told upgrade to business is useless: bad food and service in both cabins. Yet, if offers the best deal in terms of easy transfer for the rest 12 hours of flightā€¦

Has anyone used EVA or CAā€™s mileage tickets before? Or better yet, is anyone ā€¦ selling mileage?