😷 COVID - UK to Taiwan | Anyone here recently travel from the UK to Taiwan?

I recently got my gold card in London, and am flying from London to Taipei (via Istanbul) this week. I understand that people from the UK will have to quarantine at a government facility for 14 days, and that the costs are covered by the Taiwan government. However, I’ve been getting mixed responses on the question of whether I need to book anything prior to flying?

Some posts on here suggest that you don’t - they just assign you a facility when you arrive. But then, some posts suggest that the central quarantine facilities are maxed out due to lunar new year. The local consulate in London thinks I just go. But has anyone had any experience doing this recently? I’m worried they won’t let me in when I arrive either because I didn’t book something, or because the facilities are at capacity.

Thanks in advance!

You have an obligation to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival, and to practice self health management for another 7 days following that. The Taiwan government is not going to cover your quarantine costs. Where did you hear that?

For obvious reasons, not having a legally permissible quarantine arrangement lined up before you come here is probably not ideal.

You can find more information about the rules on the Taiwan CDC website and if you have any questions, the best thing you can do is reach out to an official government source before you hop on a plane. Everyone in Taiwan is counting on people to follow the rules so that we don’t have an outbreak here.

1 Like

They have special rules for the UK (and now South Africa as well). I have been trying to speak to official sources. As mentioned, I’ve spoken to the local Taiwan Consulate in London. I’m trying to reach the CDC as well.

Excerpt from that web page:

• Quarantine centres are designated locations selected by the Central Epidemic Command Centre (CECC). Designated locations include: Government owned facilities, student dorms and hotels. There are currently a total of 29 quarantine centres located across northern, central and southern Taiwan
  • Upon arrival in Taiwan, transportation will be arranged by the Taiwan Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
  • Costs for travellers in the UK programme will be paid for by the Taiwan authorities
  • All travellers in the UK programme will be transferred to a Quarantine Centre designated by the CECC, and will not be able to request a specific location or room
  • Quarantine centres provide 3 meals per day. Meals will be delivered to people’s rooms and consumed there
  • You will not be allowed to leave your room or go into another individual’s room during this period. In a case of an emergency, all individuals must follow the instructions provided by the quarantine centre
  • In principle, only 1 person is allowed per room. For young children under the age of 12, and individuals who may require health and medical care, one family member would be allowed to stay in the same room with this individual; however, masks must be worn at all times. Requests for exemptions will be reviewed by the quarantine centre in question
  • Relatives are not allowed to have physical contact with any individual during quarantine; however, they would be able to deliver packages to the individual by handing this to the reception staff at the quarantine centre. This would then be passed to the individual
  • Due to safety concerns the following items are not accepted: fresh products including fruit and vegetables, high power-consuming electronic appliances and other dangerous items such as lighters and knifes. Alcohol consumption and smoking is prohibited in the quarantine centre
  • Room facilities: all rooms are equipped with Wi-Fi, a kettle and a television
  • Pre-travel arrangements: due to it currently being winter in Taiwan, all passengers should ensure that they prepare sufficient warm clothing and personal belongings before departure
2 Likes

they opened part of the central quarantine facilities (1500 rooms) for self-paid, which were all booked soon after the opening.

The rest are reserved for mandatory travelers.

Why on Earth are you choosing now to fly here?

5 Likes

Yes, not good time. I thought there was a lockdown in the UK where you should not travel?

1 Like