šŸ˜· COVID - USA | Travel to JFK... Covid Test necessary?

Heading back to NY soon vie EVAir. Covering the bases. Do I need a covid test to get on the plane and or get through NY customs?

Thanks, good people.

New York resident traveling outside the state for more than 24 hours must follow the same procedure.

Yeah, I saw that, hence my question, but it seems like that is for interstate travel.

(CNN)With coronavirus cases surging throughout the United States, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Saturday that most travelers must now get Covid-19 tests before and after arrival in the state.
The new policy replaces a previous advisory list of states with rising case counts from which travelers were required to quarantine for 14 days upon arriving in New York, the governor told reporters.
ā€œThanksgiving is going to be complicated,ā€ said Cuomo, adding that college students will be returning home and families getting together.

From DHS site for international travel:

President Trump determined that the potential for widespread transmission of the coronavirus by infected individuals seeking to enter the United States threatens the security of the homeland. Therefore, the Department is taking action in furtherance of the public health interests advanced by the March 11th presidential proclamation which suspends entry to nearly all foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries, China and Iran at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled travel to the U.S. On May 25, 2020, these restrictions were expanded to Brazil.
These European countries include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the U.K. This Presidential Proclamation does not apply to U.S. citizens, legal permanent residents, nor their family members under the age of 21, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation. Nor does it apply to cargo and maritime shipping.

However, from the CNN article:

Most travelers to New York State will be required to obtain a negative Covid-19 test within three days of arriving in the state, Cuomo said.

I just wanted to see if anyone was ahead of me in the que and had done this recently.

Thanks CT, sorry I missed you in Taitung! Lovely place!

1 Like

When do you leave? My wife is heading back a couple of days before thanksgiving, so if youā€™re later Iā€™ll tell you then.

Nah, b4 then. Thanks.

The new protocol is effective Wednesday, November 4.

Travelers Must Get Tested Within Three Days Prior to Landing in New York,

Quarantine for at Least Three Days Upon Arrival, and Get a Test on Day Four of Arrival

If Travelers Receive a Negative Test On Day Four of Quarantine They May Exit Quarantine When They Receive Negative Result

So, by that standard Iā€™d need to get tested in Taiwan b4 I go.

Am I reading that correctly?

Itā€™s confusing, as the article seems to be talking about state to state travel, not international travel.

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced new guidelines allowing out-of-state travelers to New York to ā€œtest outā€ of the mandatory 14-day quarantine. Travelers from states that are contiguous with New York will continue to be exempt from the travel advisory; however, covered travelers must continue to fill out the Traveler Health Form. Essential workers will continue to be exempt as well. The new protocol is effective Wednesday, November 4.

ā€œThe ship of State is sailing well: New York is the third lowest positivity rate in the nation and New Yorkers should be very proud of what theyā€™re doing. However, travel has become an issue - the rest of the states pose a threat. Weā€™re going to a new plan given the changing facts, and the experts suggest we shift to a testing policy,ā€ Governor Cuomo said. ā€œSo there will be no quarantine list; there will be one rule that applies across the country. We bent the curve of this virus by following the data and the science, and we are continuing that approach with these new guidelines.ā€

For any traveler to New York State from out of state, exempting the contiguous states, the new guidelines for travelers to test-out of the mandatory 14-day quarantine are below:

So please make sure to let me knowā€¦Iā€™m already planning on how to get smuggled out of NY.

I think this is it:

September 28, 2020, Governor Cuomo signed an executive order reminding international travelers entering New York from Level 2 and 3 countries to quarantine and fill out the NYS Department of Health traveler health form to further prevent the spread of COVID-19 as countries across the globe experience alarming second waves of the virus.

The Commissioner of Health will expand his Emergency Health Order which authorizes the imposition of civil penalties if individuals refuse to fill out the required form.

Since March 2020, New York State has required a mandatory quarantine for any traveler entering New York from a Level 2 or Level 3 country - thatā€™s all but 31 countries on the globe.

The 31 countries/territories NOT subject to the Governorā€™s executive order and mandatory quarantine requirement are listed below:

• American Samoa
  • Anguilla
  • Bonaire
  • Brunei
  • Cambodia
  • Cayman Islands
  • Dominica
  • Falkland Islands
  • Fiji
  • Greenland
  • Grenada
  • Guernsey
  • Isle of Man
  • Laos
  • Macau SAR
  • Marshall Islands
  • Mauritius
  • Micronesia
  • Montserrat
  • New Caledonia
  • New Zealand
  • Palau
  • Saba
  • Saint Barthelemy
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Saint Pierre and Miquelon
  • Sint Eustatius
    *** Taiwan**
  • Thailand
  • Timor-Leste

And the link:

In response to increased rates of COVID-19 transmission in certain states within the United States and countries outside the United States, and to protect New York Stateā€™s (NYS) successful containment of COVID-19, NYS has issued a travel advisory for anyone entering NYS from a state that has a significant degree of community-wide spread of COVID-19 or traveled internationally from a country designated under a CDC level 2 (moderate risk) or 3 (high-risk) COVID-19 travel health notice.

If you are entering NYS and have traveled from within one of the designated states or countries, you must quarantine for 14 days from the last day you were in a designated state or country. This does not apply to any individual passing through a designated state or country for a limited duration (i.e. less than 24 hours) through the course of travel, or essential workers as outlined below. For an international traveler the quarantine is required irrespective of essential worker status.

Designated states are determined using a seven-day rolling average of positive tests in excess of 10%, or number of positive cases exceeding 10 per 100,000 residents for states within the United States. For a list of states that meet the criteria for required quarantine due to significant community transmission, visit https://ny.gov/states. For a list of countries designated under a CDC level 2 or 3 COVID-19 travel health notice, visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/map-and-travel-notices.html.

Upon entering New York, if you are a traveler and do not have a suitable dwelling for your 14-day quarantine period, you must find appropriate accommodations at your own cost. If you are a NYS resident returning from travel and do not have appropriate accommodations for quarantine, please call your local health department: www.health.ny.gov/contact/contact_information/. For guidance on how to quarantine safely, visit: https://ny.gov/traveladvisory

Donā€™t know about New York, but I cleared customs in San Francisco on October 21. Flew out of TPE, connected to a United flight in Tokyo. No problems or issues at all, anywhere.

Used a global entry kiosk at SFO. Flew out of SFO to Austin that evening, again no problems. I donā€™t think the global entry program did anything but allow me to go to the back of the customs hall at SFO, get a printout from a GE kiosk, and go to the head of the line and present it to US customs.

I really donā€™t know how they would deny you given youā€™re a US citizen. What are CBP going to do, insist you return to Taipei?

I realize Cuomo and NY may be even nuttier than Newsom and CA, but I had no issues at all about ten days ago.

Good luck!

1 Like

This might help:

1 Like

So you didnā€™t need a test b4 you left TPE?

Nope. It was just like a normal flight, but with some Taiwanese in white Tyvek suits and everybody required to wear face masks to board (United handed them out at the gate, free of charge).

One change: I was required to wear a mask that covered both nose and mouth at all times during all three flights.

Passengers are advised to quarantine for 14 days on arrival in the United States.

Yeah, so thatā€™s what Iā€™m getting to seeā€¦no covid test needed to leave TPE, but 14 day Q in NY.

But also:

ā€œ * The requirements for New York State do not apply to passengers travelling from the following countries: Anguilla, American Samoa, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba, Saint-BarthĆ©lemy, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Fiji, Falklands Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Grenada, Greenland, Lao Peopleā€™s Democratic Republic, Macau, Marshall Islands, Montserrat, Mauritius, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Palau, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Thailand, Timor-Leste or Taiwan or United Kingdom (Guernsey Airport (GCI), Isle of Man Ronaldsway Airport (IOM) and Jersey Airport (JER).ā€

Yeah, I posted thatā€¦stated facts are great, in this case, anecdotal evidence err trumps it a bit. lol

Iā€™m glad youā€™re going first. As I said, let me know.

1 Like