COVID vaccines from America: Do Americans get priority?

well the world has changed since the 70s. So what they may have done then may not be what they will do now

NZ as an alternative?

The US is a democracy, and democracy doesn’t always work. Ask the typical American resident whether the government should tax them $100 or some poor expat sob who never stepped into the country that same $100, and they’d always answer the same. They don’t care if you go broke from paying unfair taxes. For all they care, expats could pay 90% taxes if that meant a 5% decrease in their taxes. You have to keep your own best interests in mind. The law makers don’t care if their policies screw over foreign small businesses, as we’ve seen from all the tax laws passed three years ago by trump administration. It doesn’t affect the law makers.

Yeah people from Cambridge England get the AZ first. :wink:

This is about the richest country in the history of the world with the current largest vaccine surplus in the world, not what other governments are doing.

Why would anyone do that?

That was to stimulate us to vote for the person or party with the highest offer. You won’t be hearing much if anything about free money again until 2024.

2 Likes

Liberation doesn’t come cheap though. It costs $2,400 currently to buy your freedom. What would be nice is if they came up with a passport exchange program. I’d be happy to trade passports with some dreamer from the right country who wants to try the American dream to see if it’s a good fit.

just reading through this thread, it seems some of you renounced your us citizenship.

1. Why doesn’t taiwan allow dual citizenships from the americans? I think it could be quite good business?

2. I heard that Japan stated their donation must include their citizens in their priority list? just something I was told by somebody.

3. some taiwanese are under the assumption that we just go to the de facto embassy here and get vaccinated. Had a doctor ask me if AIT vaccinated me in taiwan yet.

You need better sources of information. Lots of what you’ve heard is simply incorrect.

Guy

so whats incorrect?

The government of Japan did not insist that its citizens be placed on the priority list. The Tainan government made that gesture, much to the embarrassment of some members of the local Japanese community living there.

And, as you well know, the AIT does not (and will not) vaccinate US citizens residing in Taiwan.

The dual citizenship question has been discussed ad nauseam on this site. I’d encourage you to try using the search function (magnifying glass icon in the top right corner).

Guy

1 Like

my points were questions. not statements.

Uh, generally, America isn’t responsible for their citizens health in the U.S.

3 Likes

Thanks to 90-year-old white conservatives. Can you imagine that in 10 years, almost all the “main” conservative senators will just be dust due to natural age? Morbid, but true. Perhaps next decade will be a new age.

So here’s an update.
The US donation would arrive tmr.

I wonder if US citizens in Taiwan would have the priority to this batch.

Unfortunately still no, as the US has so far stated there are no plans to vaccinate US citizens abroad. These are just donations from the US to Taiwan and they’ll likely be used up by the existing priority groups.

1 Like

The US military is still here, however its presence is much more discreet than in the past.

The Japanese has the priority because of Taiwanese government’s decision. This decision has nothing to do with Japanese government. Taiwanese government gave priority to Japanese citizens as a thank you in return of the donation.

If the government decides that US citizens would, too, have the priority, it will have nothing to do with US government.

1 Like

Sorry, do you have a source that says Japanese in Taiwan have priority to those AZ vaccines? I haven’t heard of such a thing.