CPI SM250 & related banter

Me too. I have no idea. I want a good price, of course, but at the same time I don’t want to rip anybody off. Its bloody difficult.

hmmm you seem to be lurking in the shadows…

when u have an idea let us know!! guess u will need the price to first be passed by the Home Minister!!

[quote=“speed_maniac”]hmmm you seem to be lurking in the shadows…

when u have an idea let us know!! guess u will need the price to first be passed by the Home Minister!![/quote]
I’m not kidding. I really have no idea. They cost NT$109k new. Mine’s a year old and has 7000 on the clock, never thrashed, used exclusively as a commuter, some early kinks worked out when it wasw still under warranty… I just dunno. If I said, say, 70k, would people scream in horror? Is that too little? Would I be selling it short? If the acceptable price was much less than that I’d be inclined to just keep the thing, but I don’t really want it cluttering up the yard. How DOES one go about pricing these things? Is there a formula?

i think you will have to first figure out what is the least you want to sell it for and then add a certain mark up because as you know in Taiwan they like to haggle a bit more than in other places…of course you would like the max amount for it but i am sure u will come up with a practical figure…

ask your mates to check around with the Ah Huangs and find the selling price for a year old CPI, that will give you some price reference…

yes it is tough when u the owner are trying to sell it directly w/o going thru any middlemen…

You can change the standard catalytic converter equipped exhaust header for a Euro spec one for $2500 from new. One of the blokes who has one did it retrospectively because his standard pipe caused the engine to overheat. They also change the carb from 26mm to 28mm so you get a bit more torque. I would recommend that from the off.

Also change the forks for those Fastace USD ones because the standard forks are gash, and they give you a 4 pot Frando front brake caliper with the forks, the standard brakes are gash too! $28,500.

Also you could get the matching rear shock, the standard one is gash, $6000 for a new one made for the CPI. Those Fastace forks and shock have separate high and low speed damping. The standard suspension has too much high speed compression damping and not enough low speed. I weigh 76kg and it jarrs my back and arms when I hit bumps hard, but still dives like fuck too easily on the brakes. Plus the forks are very flexible. First on my list of changes are those forks and shock, but I’m in no hurry with winter on the way, the standard stuff is OK to get by.

The pipe would be a good change. Never noticed a problem with the brakes – certainly not one that would warrant a spend of NT$30 – a third of the cost of the bike! :astonished: Suspension has also been fine for me – I weigh around 80kg if I cut my nails and suck in my gut.

I wouldn’t buy Sandman’s bike. It’s all painted up with Hello Kitty decals, and it’s never been out of first gear.

I’m at 8,500km and no problems in the last few months. The bike has had a whole bunch of stuff replaced for free, including the front and rear bearings, due to quality issues but they seem to have all been ironed out now. Presumably the new bikes are delivered without requiring these fixes.

By being a whiney bastard about all the small stuff I also got them to change the exhaust system back to Euro specs. It was running very hot and I worried about long-term damage to the engine. It’s now a bit noisier, maybe a bit more powerful, and noticeably more thirsty. I used to get 180km on a tank, now it’s no more than 150km.

I regularly carry a passenger, of the 50Kg variety. The suspension sinks quite a lot, but it doesn’t seem to slow the bike down any.

Oh, and I had to replace the headlight bulb after about six months. I keep it on all the time.

Otherwise, it now seems to be pretty reliable. My warranty ends in a few days, so I guess something major will fail next week.

[quote=“TaFCoML”]I’ll be picking up my SM 250 on Thursday. I’m not going to expect a flawless bike, just something that performs better (and is cooler) than my current Sym 125.

It was recommended that I put on some handguards and maybe something to make the seat more comfortable. While I’m not looking for extra performance from the bike just yet, has anyone got any suggestions about anything I should stick onto it from the get-go?[/quote]

Fork gaiters? Any bike without them is designed to develop leaking forks, surely?
Crash bars? Or is that a bit too rational?

Thanks. I thought so too.
[/quote]

No it isn’t.

Rape is not a victimless crime.

Running an unregistered vehicle is just tax evasion, so all taxpayers are very slightly victims, but otherwise, (provided you are able and willing to compensate people for any consequent lack of insurance coverage), its victimless and the risk is all yours.

Here is the best version

goods.ruten.com.tw/item/qa?11090915738690

Thanks. I thought so too.
[/quote]

No it isn’t.

Rape is not a victimless crime.

[/quote]
It is when you add a bit of sarcasm to the mix. :wink: And tell the poor dumb schmuck packing his bags with a cop looking over his shoulder that he’s not a victim.

[quote=“nazmikarakoc”]Here is the best version

goods.ruten.com.tw/item/qa?11090915738690

[/quote]

that looks pretty good…

For 170,000 it is kind of expansive. You can make the same bike about 160,000 to 165,000 and get to keep your original parts.

i assumed that you get the bike and just change the original parts for the aftermarket ones and then the price will be 170,000

if it is 170,000 w/o the original parts then it is too expensive…

[quote=“speed_maniac”]i assumed that you get the bike and just change the original parts for the aftermarket ones and then the price will be 170,000

if it is 170,000 w/o the original parts then it is too expensive…[/quote]

They sell it all upgraded but i don’t think they give you the originals.

oopps then that’s a bad deal for me at least…

i would prefer to buy the bike stock and then change the parts even if at the end of the day it costs a bit extra ( as compared to buying the bike all upgraded )…

Is it still the original frame? THAT is a scary thought. That frame is absolutely not designed for the kind of stresses created by those mods! :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: That’s a pimp my ride, all mouth and no trousers bike, unless they’ve done some SERIOUS work on the frame.

eee…you are right…guess i got taken in by all the bling bling…

It would be a bargain if they had an titanium frame upgrade on it. Then we need new engine maybe Honda and transmission.

Hmm, we get close to buying a honda at first place if it was available.

I saw yamaha have some cross bikes new in the store.

Events over the last three days:

Bike delivery was late, but the dealer threw in some [strike]free bottles of oil[/strike] scooter oil :eh:
[strike]Delivery of the bike was short mirrors and 1 passenger foot rest[/strike] They were couriered the next day, though short of one nut.
[strike]I seem to have bumped (with my foot when mounting) the rear indicator loose and I’ll try to get that fastened tomorrow[/strike] The indicator cannot be refastened, an error in design. Glue it on / drive with it loose / buy a new pair.
[strike]The thermal covering under the fairings seems precarious as the glue holding it on weakens when heated[/strike] Super-glue was recommended.
[strike]A screw holding the fairing was noticeably loose[/strike] Fixed.
[strike]I’m having trouble manoeuvring the left mirror into a usable position / angle[/strike] Fixed.
[strike]The right mirror is unusable currently because the hole in the handlebar is missing ridges[/strike] The missing nut would have solved this.
[strike]The button to change the display seems finicky and sometimes takes more than one press[/strike] Use the button slowly.
[strike]Back break is rather weak, so I’ll try get that adjusted too[/strike]
[strike]She does not like rpm 4500 - 6000 and feels like she’s cold / flooding (resulting in a jerky ride) - though this is apparently due to emissions control systems[/strike]
[strike]During a test rev, she didn’t want to go over 7k rpm[/strike]
Some cables and wires running down from the controls are getting scratched when steering occurs. :neutral:

She’s quite a fun ride nonetheless.

Edited for updates