CPI SM250 & related banter

If you put a legal plate registered to you on the wrong bike you’d probably get away with it forever in Taiwan.
If the pigs did catch you, could you afford to lose it?
If the answer is yes do it!

Mod inserts line of reason here…Don’t be an idiot, this bit of folly landed somebody I know in jail.

[quote=“jaame”]If you put a legal plate registered to you on the wrong bike you’d probably get away with it forever in Taiwan.
If the pigs did catch you, could you afford to lose it?
If the answer is yes do it![/quote]

Got a friend who was doing that until he hit someone. Since he was riding an illegal bike with a swapped plate, the insurances did not apply to his bike. He had to pay 600k for the medical bills/ compensation + a big fine of 100k + His licence was revoked for a year. And that was a Taiwanese man, so he didn’t get to be on the news. A foreigner would.

Before anyone gives illegal advices, they should check their facts to make sure that they are not getting someone in serious shit. :loco:

How not to do a stoppie on this bike

They cover the license number on the video already :raspberry:

For a while I was considering getting a real dirtbike and doing a plate swap from my DT125. However, I came to the conclusion that it was just too risky. I’ve sold my DT (which was a pile of junk anyway) and resigned myself to the fact that I’ll be riding an old POS scooter until I leave Taiwan.

It’d be great if Taiwan opened up its market for cheap, quality 2nd hand Japanese import bikes like we can get back home in SA. But that’s never gonna happen, so whatever. Back home I’ll buy a sweet dirtbike and a rockin’ streetbike - both for a total that’s a lot less than one big bike would cost here. :happybiker: :southafrica:

I didn’t use any facts in my post, it was purely opinion. My opinion was and still is, you probably will get away with it forever. Your mate in jail doesn’t change my opinion.

Do you know what probably means?

I wouldn’t do it, but if I did, I don’t think there’s much chance of getting caught. That small chance is enough to put me off but I’m not everyone. Some people take more risks than others, that’s life.

All I’m saying is, if you want to do something, don’t let naysayers put you off.

[quote=“jaame”]I didn’t use any facts in my post, it was purely opinion. My opinion was and still is, you probably will get away with it forever. Your mate in jail doesn’t change my opinion.

I wouldn’t do it, but if I did, I don’t think there’s much chance of getting caught. That small chance is enough to put me off but I’m not everyone. Some people take more risks than others, that’s life.

All I’m saying is, if you want to do something, don’t let naysayers put you off.[/quote]
A lot of rapists get away with it, too, as do many bank robbers. I say Go for it! And to hell with the naysayers. :unamused:

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“jaame”]I didn’t use any facts in my post, it was purely opinion. My opinion was and still is, you probably will get away with it forever. Your mate in jail doesn’t change my opinion.

All I’m saying is, if you want to do something, don’t let naysayers put you off.[/quote]
A lot of rapists get away with it, too, as do many bank robbers. I say Go for it! And to hell with the naysayers. :unamused:[/quote]

For the first time ever, I am in complete agreement with Sandman.

To The mods: I still can’t believe that you allow comments that encourage people to do something illegal… :s

1 Like

Well its an opinion isnt it?.

But i agree, taiwan isnt exactly on the ball for these sorts of things, i wouldnt be surprised if someone got away with illegally running a bike with another plate… hell last time i checked you just get a fine for displaying the wrong plate…

Personally, I don’t see “encourage” on the topic of unregistered vehicle, I see “discussion”. As easy shift would be the topic of “uninsured motorist”. No one would encourage driving without insurance, but that’s different from discussing it.

Lets start talking about bikes again…

My beloved bike has a leak on its left front leg :snivel:
And Nope, I don’t do jumps with it.
(3200km now)

Sigh…

My wife always tells me what I can’t do on the road as well. Don’t wear a bicycle helmet on a scooter, you’ll get a ticket. Don’t ride in the fast lane, you’ll get a ticket. Put your seat belt on, you’ll get a ticket. Don’t speed, you’ll get a ticket.

Since arriving in Taiwan a year and a half ago, I have actually seen the coppers stop TWO people. I spend over an hour a day on the road and I witness countless illegal maneuvres every day, many of which are also witnessed by coppers and traffic control officers. I’ve only seen 2 tickets being given. One for no helmet, one for turning right on a red light.

I’ve never been stopped, despite riding in the fast lane all the time for safety and speeding past coppers a lot of times. I’ve never been stopped, even when coppers have seen me do something illegal.

Which leads me to my opinion that if you ran the wrong plate on your bike, you would probably get away with it forever. I won’t do it because I’m afraid of getting caught, but if you do it, you probably won’t get caught.

Sandman. Motoring, rape, good analogy.

Frans, if you take your bike to the shop they’ll fix it for you FOC while you wait I would think. Obviously it leaks because CPI use poor quality fork seals. No fork seal on any other bike in the world has ever leaked before, further reinforcing the common opinion that the CPI is a rubbish supermoto style bike!

My current bike’s party trick is leaking on the front left, despite being ‘repaired’. Then again, it too is a Taiwanese bike.

Thanks. I thought so too.
I guess you’re of the “if EYE like it, then its OK” school of thought. Borrowed time, dude. And when it all comes crashing down around your ears, I’ve no doubt you’ll be posting here about the “unfairness” of it all. :laughing:
Bottom line: you’ve been here a short time and don’t know of anyone who’s been screwed in this way. Others who have been here longer have posted that yes, you CAN get into shitloads of hassle for doing as you suggest. Some of these posters have personal friends who have been jailed, fined heavily and deported for same (I’m one of them), so to other posters reading, you makes your choice. Like EYE give a sweet flying fuck what y’all do! But know the possible repercussions. And NOT from a relative newcomer, if you know what’s good for you.

Actually my old Spanish Montesa 350 also had a leaking leg, but well, that was after heavy abuse, driving up on anything it would take me and jumping down of it as well haha. Almost broke a finger once as I went flying over the handle bar while my bike wouldn’t tackle a log that was bigger than it looked like at first.

Learned a lot from that: “Forget taking logs, unpredictable slippery basterds”.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll drive over them and see what they can do for me (except being unhappy, never seen any ruder salesmen ever in my life, even after a sell they made me feel unwelcome…) Whatever, as long as they do their work and treat me fair I dun care much. Just… weird…
:moped:

[quote=“jaame”]My wife always tells me what I can’t do on the road as well. Don’t wear a bicycle helmet on a scooter, you’ll get a ticket. Don’t ride in the fast lane, you’ll get a ticket. Put your seat belt on, you’ll get a ticket. Don’t speed, you’ll get a ticket.

Since arriving in Taiwan a year and a half ago, I have actually seen the coppers stop TWO people. I spend over an hour a day on the road and I witness countless illegal maneuvres every day, many of which are also witnessed by coppers and traffic control officers. I’ve only seen 2 tickets being given. One for no helmet, one for turning right on a red light.

I’ve never been stopped, despite riding in the fast lane all the time for safety and speeding past coppers a lot of times. I’ve never been stopped, even when coppers have seen me do something illegal.

Which leads me to my opinion that if you ran the wrong plate on your bike, you would probably get away with it forever. I won’t do it because I’m afraid of getting caught, but if you do it, you probably won’t get caught.

Sandman. Motoring, rape, good analogy.

Frans, if you take your bike to the shop they’ll fix it for you FOC while you wait I would think. Obviously it leaks because CPI use poor quality fork seals. No fork seal on any other bike in the world has ever leaked before, further reinforcing the common opinion that the CPI is a rubbish supermoto style bike![/quote]
This is a news video, it is in Chinese, but I am sure it is about illegal plates on bikes…Just by watching it…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihsU0a98ia4

One guy’s plate starts ‘AF’ and the other ‘FA’. the one man who didn’t leave his house at the time the ticket was issued to the other man, received the other man’s speeding fine. The other man apologises for the mistake and the two speeding tickets that were mistakenly issued to the man. In fact the speeder purchased fake plates online.

Pi se! Pi se! :unamused:

I’ll be picking up my SM 250 on Thursday. I’m not going to expect a flawless bike, just something that performs better (and is cooler) than my current Sym 125.

It was recommended that I put on some handguards and maybe something to make the seat more comfortable. While I’m not looking for extra performance from the bike just yet, has anyone got any suggestions about anything I should stick onto it from the get-go?

[quote=“TaFCoML”]I’ll be picking up my SM 250 on Thursday. I’m not going to expect a flawless bike, just something that performs better (and is cooler) than my current Sym 125.

It was recommended that I put on some handguards and maybe something to make the seat more comfortable. While I’m not looking for extra performance from the bike just yet, has anyone got any suggestions about anything I should stick onto it from the get-go?[/quote]

Perhaps these might be a good start. :wink:

ha ha…good one!!

hey give the CPI guys a break…if it was @ ntd 60,000 - 70,000 new I would have bought one and thrashed it around…of course i would first have gone over the bike with a fine comb and checked all the potential problems and got them rectified as much as I could…that way even if i had to spend another say 10,000 it would still be worth it!!

Wonder how much Sandman is selling his for???