CPI SM250 & related banter

Yeah, but you cannot compare an NSR to a CPI! There’s a reason those other 250s (CRF etc) are putting out 38 hp while the CPI is putting out low 20s at the same displacement. And bumping from 250 to 300cc on the CPI is an increase of what, 6 hp? Not as drastic as being proposed above.

A lot of CPI frames have cracked, the wheel spokes break easily under a bit of ‘abuse’, the front brakes are already barely adequate… Don’t know much about the CPI stock chain, but might need a sprocket/chain upgrade as well. So factor in a frame beefing (well, from what I’ve seen I would), upgraded wheels (if you’re going to really ride it), new front rotors, calipers, master cylinder and chain sprocket set, you’re probably at 50-70% of the used CPI value already! And the forks are fine for around town and 22hp, but if you’re bumping it up to 38, figure that would be a smart area to consider strengthening.

However, I’d love to see it done and think it would be great. From my experiences though and owning a CPI (which I love, it’s a hoot to ride and has converted me into a SUMO guy), I feel the money could be spent more efficiently. Also, cops never pull me over so far, even when riding full out, no mirrors and a non factory paint job. I wonder if using a fake plated bike is that risky… Cue Darth Sithius music…

[quote=“2smokelvr”]I thought about that to and 2 ideas came to mind

putting just the engine case cover or part that has the engine id number on it to the motocross engine
if possible, or modding the part with the engine id number on it to fit the motocross engine

or just swapping in the original engine 1 time a year when renewing registration/ inspection

but honestly I have never been asked for license or any documentation when riding or stopped in taiwan
let alone had a cop look at my engine id number also the 4 stroke motocross 250cc engines look and sound
very similar to a cpi engine

I really dont think that a lot of other modding would be needed to handle double the horsepower
the bike looks pretty tuff it seems to take abuse well when people have stunted it aslong as it has a decent frame and not one of the bad batch frames
I think it would be ok[/quote]

We would ‘mod’ our engine numbers in China all the time to pull off a regi, but it was never really inspected and a couple cartons of smokes went a long way there. Depends on how observant the local inspectors are out here.

Just dont use 888 all in a row there was a big news story bust about 2 years ago of people using fake plates with 888 to elude traffic camera tickets ironically 8 is lucky in chinese you would think if you could make an authentic good looking plate you would choose something a little more inconspicuous then 888

another option clear coat reflective paint its sold in usa and other countries not sure if its available in Taiwan
would be hard to get it shipped since its paint in a aerosol can straight on you can see your plate number at camera angles when the photo is taken its just all white cant see any numbers although I only ever got 1 ticket in the mail for 1400nt doing 80 or 90kph on my NSR im surprised I only got 1 ticket but the real lesson here to be learned is to not be giving a girl other then your gf a ride when the camera gets you speeding and then the ticket shows up in the mail and gets opened by sumone other then yourself

Just dont use 888 all in a row there was a big news story bust about 2 years ago of people using fake plates with 888 to elude traffic camera tickets ironically 8 is lucky in chinese you would think if you could make an authentic good looking plate you would choose something a little more inconspicuous then 888

another option clear coat reflective paint its sold in usa and other countries not sure if its available in Taiwan
would be hard to get it shipped since its paint in a aerosol can straight on you can see your plate number at camera angles when the photo is taken its just all white cant see any numbers although I only ever got 1 ticket in the mail for 1400nt doing 80 or 90kph on my NSR im surprised I only got 1 ticket but the real lesson here to be learned is to not be giving a girl other then your gf a ride when the camera gets you speeding and then the ticket shows up in the mail and gets opened by sumone other then yourself[/quote]

Hehehe, nice. How did that play out in the end?

Yeah, fake plating with ‘888’ would be uber dumb. I’d rather fake plate with ‘444’ if I wanted the extra attention. Actually, I don’t think it’s the cameras that matter with a ghost bike. There’s no regi, so no address or record of the bike. It’s just the live cops and when parked (tow it away) that are prickly thorns.

You can’t polish a turd. What’s the point of changing the CPI engine to a better one? If you can afford to get a new CRF engine and electrics, and pay to have it modded so the engine case fits, you can afford a bike that’s actually good in standard trim, like a Husky SM510 or something.

The CPI is good for what it is, but I don’s see the point of modding the shit out of it. You could drop $100k on it and it would still be shit. The standard frame is shit and the standard spokes are shit, and if you want to change the wheels you won’t fit a 150 tyre past the chain without modding the sprocket and the gearbox OP sprocket, and you won’t get the new front wheel with 25mm spindle to fit without modding the stock 20mm or whatever it is. Honestly I just don’t see the point. It’s like paying for a facelift for a fat girl. Throw a million dollars at her face and she’s still not hot because she’s fat… so what’s the point?

In my humble opinion you’d be a lot better off just getting a second hand Husky or Husaberg motard. Or wait a couple of years and get a KTM 390 Duke (that’s what I like the sound of)

“Yes, although all the graphics are KTM 390, I just bought those on Ruten and put them on my CPI 250, Officer. It’s really a CPI 250.” :wink: :wink:

I have a feeling the Husky or Husaberg motard and KTM will BE A LOT in Taiwan whatever there MSRP will be then
double that figure for import tax thats why the cpi’s a bargain its made in taiwan no import tax if the cpi sm 250 was made in japan no matter how good or how shit it was it would still sell for like 200-250000nt in taiwan because the 80ish% import tax but luckily its made in taiwan so new ones sold for around 120k nt

If the husaberg, husky, and ktm sale for 500000nt-700000nt in Taiwan thats way out of my price range I could see those bikes msrp being around 7000-8000+usd so double that figure in taiwan

I would rather pick up a used CPI for 80000nt dump 100000nt into it be at 180000nt total investment with 40-50 hp
When your on a budget you try to go as big and as fast as you can and have the most fun

Honestly If I had the 500000Nt to buy the KTM or other bikes I wouldn’t even get a motard I would get a used 600cc-1000cc moto gp supersport type bike here You know the same type of 600cc sport bikes you get in the states used for 150000nt but because of the tax… :cry:

I also noticed the new 2012 and up CPI has inverted front forks and a new rear swing arm I tried to find more information about what else if any updates were made but found no info. Would be nice to know if the frame was completely changed, beefed up, or just the same frame and also if any changes were made to the tach such as fuel light indicator and if any engine tweeks were made.

Dumping 100k into it would just get you the engine and fitment and not much else. You’ll be in the 280k range with a 4 year old cpi before you start to get something on an international standard. Drop another 60k and you’d prob find a Drz400; all around better value and quality in every component. Again, love my CPI but I’d never dump more money into it because it would make little financial sense. For under 100k it makes a lot of sense. More than that not really.

As for a sportbike, unless you’re getting out of town and on freeways/less populated twisties a lot it’d be a pita. I like my sport bikes, but a motard is a great choice for combo Taipei and outlying areas fun. Would not want to ride a 1000cc in Taipei unless it was to pose at Starbucks.

Being on the edge of Taipei county and doing lots of north coast riding and trips out of town made me realize how much i wanted something bigger then an NSR 150 and how Id most likely do even more riding if I had a bigger bike. There are ver long straight and smooth freeways and roads from tainan to the coast and from taichung to taipei that would make total use of 1000cc power especially being red plate freeway legal I would definitely buy a 1000cc bike in Taiwan if I could 100K would get you THE BEST engine and what i mean by the best is a brand new KTM engine Brand new not used not rebuilt brand new

30-45k is a realistic number for a good condition used motor with lots of life left and as far as shipping I would arrange port to port seamail for like 3000nt just have to find a willing ebayer add that and find a 60k low end second hand cpi bike and
you just might be able to pull off being all in all completely into a bike 100k about the same price as a brand new stock bike

flic.kr/p/eBor7X

2009 CPI SM 250cc. Heavily modded. Parked under cover. Never had a major problem. Mods include: Brembo front caliper,stainless steel front and rear brake lines, 300mm front disk, Frando fully adjustable master cylinder, aftermarket titanium exhaust, aftermarket sproket, rear Frando caliper, aftermarket Kelin Carb 34mm, Kawasaki fast throttle, BT rear suspension, Front suspension has stiffer springs, new clutch cable, battery, tires, and rear wheel just had got re spoked. Two sets of fairings (black carbon fiber stickers and a set of the orange Red Bull farrings.) Oil changes every 800-1000km, I’m the second owner. I never ride it anymore since I bought a car. It needs to be ridden. I have only put about 4500 kilometers on it since I bought it in October of 2010.
Message me or email me at Robkilpatrick@gmail.com
I live in Chongli (Jhongli) in Taoyuan county. You are welcome to test ride it. I can come to you if you are in the Taoyuan county. If you are in Taipei, I can meet you in Yingge (鶯歌) for a test ride.
$70,000nt FIRM and we split the transfer costs. I have the stock exhaust too. I also have a mechanic that can get it passed through inspection so we won’t have any problems getting the papers transferred.

And an old picture of the other Red Bull Farrings I have.

Good luck RK, I hope you can sell it soon and with no problems. I would probably go for it as a cheaper and easier substitute to my TU if I could sell it soon and for a reasonable amount of money… but it seems to be not that easy!

RK before you sell it, do you fancy that rideout? I’ve got my bike up and running again, just need to change the chain blocks and rear wheel bearings (which I already have at home). I’m on holiday the first 2 weeks of August, with no money to go on holiday even in Taiwan. I’m keen on the idea of riding through the mountains on the 7, down to Nanshan and Lishan, then over to the east coast, back up and across the 9.

Pommes too, what do you think? Have you got holidays coming up?

And 2smokelover, good luck using all the power of a 1000cc sportsbike anywhere, let alone here. You’re kidding yourself if you think a race rep of any size is in any way suitable for Taiwan.

You could get a used Husky SM510R for $300,000, which is head and shoulders better than any CPI with any engine.

As a cheap runabout for cheap thrills they’re fantastic, but that’s it. There is no point trying to make one good compared to a properly made bike. The CPI isn’t going to make 40hp, and if you change the engine to one that does, it will tie the frame in knots!

DRZ400, $285k asking price.

goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21304028947932

Get it down to $250 and you’re laughing, they’ve even changed to mags so you can run tubeless

[quote=“jaame”]RK before you sell it, do you fancy that rideout? I’ve got my bike up and running again, just need to change the chain blocks and rear wheel bearings (which I already have at home). I’m on holiday the first 2 weeks of August, with no money to go on holiday even in Taiwan. I’m keen on the idea of riding through the mountains on the 7, down to Nanshan and Lishan, then over to the east coast, back up and across the 9.

Pommes too, what do you think? Have you got holidays coming up?[/quote]

If I have the bike then I would be down.

The main place a liter engine would be a benefit in the 'wan is passing in the mountains when loaded for touring, esp. if two-up. Other than that, liter bikes are overkill. But… if you’ve ever been stuck behind a bus going up to Hehuanshan, or Alishan, the extra power would be welcome.

for some reason - no notifiction email arrived.

haha, holidays… no way.
Also, after 18000k of 95% full throttle, the bitch might bite back. Since the latest oil change, only 1/4 of the oil and some metal sparks came out - so I assume something is fucked. Maybe just some crap from the gearbox… or bearing plates/rings or piston… Waiting for a report from CSRT asa he has a chance to open it up.
Weird thing is that it was running great; no leaking, no compression loss… just got fucking hot a couple of times. :cactus:

RK’s bike is sold :loco: :smiley:

It’s a sad day for the CPI community…my bike is sold. To all those CPI haters out there, I had my bike for 3 years and it never had a problem. It is a great bike for the money. No regrets. I’m sad to see it go, but I just wasn’t riding it enough and it needed a new home.