Cramp in my neck....for 5 days now...and still counting

Stupid state of the art hot cold bag…stupid thing. WTF ever happened to hot water bottles? They work too f#king well for the industry to allow their survival?

As you can guess the Advanced hot/cold pack…that was made to resist extreme temperatures and made with a “highly durable and puncture resistant bag” has already bust open…lasted a whole f*&@ing day.

Seriously though…anyone seen good old fashioned hot water bottle for sale here? The one I had in Canada lasted over 8 years…these new ones last a bit shorter than that.

5bgroup.com/5B-MEDICALRUBBERhotbottle.html

Assuming that it IS muscle spasm/tension - HEAT HEAT HEAT - it’s natural muscle relaxant.

Valium is NOT generally classified as a muscle relaxer although I suppose it could be used as one. It is commonly used as an anti-anxiety medication, or to control severe Epileptic seizures (muscle spasms), or for alcohol withdrawal. There are other drugs that are not addictive that are used such as Flexeril, Baclofen, Skelaxin, Soma and so on.

With nerve involvement, you might expect to have associated numbness, tingling or burning pain. You would also expect the distribution of symptoms to be unilateral. Google “dermatomes”

Physical therapists have some nifty ways to treat muscle spasm as Ironman has noted - TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation)is one of them as are the following:

[quote]Physical Therapy: TENS, Ultrasound, Heat and Cryotherapy
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS)
Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) has been used to treat a variety of pain conditions. Success rates range greatly due to many factors including electrode placement, chronicity of the problem, and previous treatments. It is generally used in chronic pain conditions and not indicated in the initial management of acute low back pain. Documentation of greater than 50% reduction in pain with a treatment trial may help substantiate its true beneficial effects as opposed to a placebo response.[/quote]

Everyone else seems spot on - stress reduction, massage, acupuncture are other modalities that have proven effectiveness in relieving pain due to muscle tension/spasm.

As Mucha Man has suggested, not a bad idea to have a doctor check it out - if it continues or worsens.

$0.02

oh and try a few positions other than the missionary - it might help! :smiling_imp:

Bodo

[quote=“Bodo”]oh and try a few positions other than the missionary - it might help! :smiling_imp:
Bodo[/quote]

That is too true.

It is also helpful when your lover stuffs a pillow under your head to help out in the pretzel position.

Hey Mordeth,

Before seeing a chiropractor you must determine if you have a herniation in one of the disks in your neck. If you do then you’ll need traction, tens and heat therapies. I would avoid doing anything until you had a proper diagnosis at the risk of making it worse. Take it from me, someone who couldn’t walk for three months, these things can be serious. Go to the fujian (rehabilitation) section of a major hospital and they’ll most probably take an x-ray or give you an MRI.

[quote=“Fox”]Hey Mordeth,

Before seeing a chiropractor you must determine if you have a herniation in one of the disks in your neck. If you do then you’ll need traction, tens and heat therapies. I would avoid doing anything until you had a proper diagnosis at the risk of making it worse. Take it from me, someone who couldn’t walk for three months, these things can be serious. Go to the fujian (rehabilitation) section of a major hospital and they’ll most probably take an x-ray or give you an MRI.[/quote]Right. I think with any serious problem such as this, you need to get a proper “western” anatomical checkup before undergoing any other kinds of therapies.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]I’ve had a lot of physio work over the years and since this sounds like a recurring problem I’m pretty sure massage won’t address the underlying problem.[/quote]I’m sure you’re right. I get some kind of neck strain/cramp quite often, though not as serious as Mordeth’s. I have it at the moment.

Acupuncture, TENS, cups and the like can offer temporary relief but don’t seem to solve the underlying problem, as you say. When I go for treatment at the traditional Chinese medical clinic, they put a hot pad on my back and/or use some kind of electro-massage device. Then I see the tui-na guy and he puts the cups on for a while, then does a bit of massage, and finally does the “bone-cracking” which is very satisfying and gives immediate relief. But after a few days some degree of neck stiffness sometimes returns, and anyway I’m not sure if it’s good to have the “bone-cracking” done too often.

So I think that learning some specific stretching exercises for this problem could be the best long-term solution. I know a good physical therapist here in Taichung so I’ll see what he has to say.

I’ve heard mixed things about chiropractors but that Doctor Mark does sound alright.

[quote=“Fox”]Hey Mordeth,

Before seeing a chiropractor you must determine if you have a herniation in one of the disks in your neck. If you do then you’ll need traction, tens and heat therapies. I would avoid doing anything until you had a proper diagnosis at the risk of making it worse. Take it from me, someone who couldn’t walk for three months, these things can be serious. Go to the fujian (rehabilitation) section of a major hospital and they’ll most probably take an x-ray or give you an MRI.[/quote]

[quote]When should you seek medical care?

If severe neck pain occurs following an injury (motor vehicle accident, diving accident, fall), a trained professional, such as a paramedic, should immobilize the patient to avoid the risk of further injury and possible paralysis. Medical care should be sought immediately. Immediate medical care should also be sought when an injury causes pain in the neck that radiates down the arms and legs. Radiating pain or numbness in your arms or legs causing weakness in the arms or legs without significant neck pain should also be evaluated.

If there has not been an injury, you should seek medical care when neck pain is:

continuous and persistent

severe

accompanied by pain that radiates down the arms or legs

accompanied by headaches, numbness, tingling, or weakness

Very few patients require surgery to relieve neck pain. For the vast majority of patients, a combination of rest, medication and physical therapy will relieve neck pain. Surgery may be necessary to reduce pressure on the spinal cord or a nerve root when pain is caused by a herniated disk or bony narrowing of the spinal canal. Surgery may also be required following an injury, to stabilize the neck and minimize the possibility of paralysis such as when a fracture results in instability of the neck. [/quote]

[quote]Initial Diagnosis and Management

 History and physical examination.
 Radiograph of the spine if cervical pain started with trauma.
MRI/CT not indicated initially.
 Initial Management:
 Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
 Adults - 200 to 400 milligrams (mg) every four to six hours as needed for up to 2 weeks. Example: Ibuprofen
 Take tablet or capsule forms of these medicines with a full glass (8 ounces) of water.
 Do not lie down for about 15 to 30 minutes after taking the medicine. This helps to prevent irritation that may lead to trouble in swallowing.
 To lessen stomach upset, these medicines should be taken with food or an antacid.
 Do not prescribe muscle relaxants as they are not effective.
 Soft collar not recommended except for 1-5 days s/p high speed whiplash trauma (i.e., MVA).
 Appropriate activity limitations on lifting, overhead work, heavy headgear, etc.
 Ice packs every 20-minute q2h x 72 hours - then change to heat PRN.
 Encourage gentle, pain-free ROM.[/quote]

It is not bad advice to urge someone to seek out professional help rather than encourage them to rely on internet advice from who knows who. When someone has a complaint like Mordeth’s, however, the first thing a general practitioner will do is try conservative treatment which may include an xray to rule out OBVIOUS bone injury (spine misalignment suggestive of disc disease or degeneration of the spine), and all of the stuff folks have been talking about: Physical therapy, non-steroidal antiinflammtories (Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Advil, Excedrin, that kind of thing), anti-spasmodics (heat, flexeril, soma, skelaxin, etc.), massage, acupunture, chiropractice. An MRI is expensive, and is reserved for those who fail to respond to conservative therapy.

Bodo

I guess the hard part is working out what is a medical problem and what can be treated at home with hot pads, massage and/ or TENS. I’m really set against the bone crackers but each to their own.

I was on the verge of serious problems the past 24 hours. Woke up yesterday with a cramp in the middle left upper back then it moved today to the upper right neck but lighter pain.

Mine could be traced back to Sunday night sleeping seated in cattle class on a plane followed by arriving back at work and feeling stressed after a 2 week break

The all night quilt cover struggle really did not help. Seems to be Chinese thing about getting the quilt cover and wrapping yourself like a cocoon. Okay on your own but not when sharing.

Mine is better as I’m settling into the work routine again and we did a bedtime training session once again on turning over without wrapping the quilt cover and discussing how the fluffy unwrapped cover actually works better because it is a thicker air filled insulator. That gets eye rolling confirmation that the foreigner is really stupid but we had a better night.

Note that if I was stressed badly yesterday at work or home my neck probably would have gone big time and I’d be in bad pain today looking for management of hot pad (good idea Mordeth) massage and TENS.

So, an initial problem combined with stress is still going to be my best bet for why necks go.

Bodo’s post is the technical version and definitive answer and of course seek medical advice if there is any doubt at all.

Well, I went to see the physiotherapist this morning. Just as well. There is some compression in my neck that is the cause of the numbness/aches/pins and needles that I’ve had on and off for a while in my neck, shoulder and arm.

It’s probably caused by bad posture. I bought a better chair that will help, and I’ll try to be more aware of my posture in general.

Anyway, the treatment is electric muscle stimulation and a hot pad, followed by traction on the neck. I’ve got to have this treatment nearly every day for the next few weeks, then things should be much better.

The traction feels really nice. It’s not the kind where you sit up (apparently the harness for that puts strain on the TM joint). I lie down with my neck resting on a kind of gadget that has lumps that fit into the indents at the base of the skull. Then the machine rhythmically stretches my neck a little. It’s much more pleasant than it sounds.

If I hadn’t got checked up and put on this treatment program, I don’t think the problem would have got better on its own. So this really reinforces my opinion that with problems such as this, it’s important to get a qualified “western” anatomical diagnosis before having any kind of therapy, western or eastern.

Joesax, is the problem related to your head hanging forward?

I went to see 2 physiotherapists on business and they noticed I was stiff in the neck. They ended up taping my neck to my back so I could not let my head drop forward. I had to be like this for 3 days while I learned to keep my head up and back. I also had exercises where I had to grab my chin and gently push my head back.

Now, many years later I have to remember every single day to bring my head up. Particularly while driving and on the computer. Alternative is the potential for disc problems and huge neck cramps.

As you stated pins and needles/ numbness and you should be straight off for medical help.

Joesax, is the problem related to your head hanging forward?[/quote]It’s related to a variety of bad postures that I tend to adopt in general, especially when using the computer and when sitting in my comfy chair that is anything but.

[quote=“Ironman”]As you stated pins and needles/ numbness and you should be straight off for medical help.[/quote]Right. Well it all makes sense now but at the time I just thought it was a bit of RSI and it would go away if I didn’t use the computer so much. But really I should have got medical advice even for that. Anyway, I’m glad it’s getting sorted out now.

[quote=“In January, joesax”]Well, I went to see the physiotherapist this morning. Just as well. There is some compression in my neck that is the cause of the numbness/aches/pins and needles that I’ve had on and off for a while in my neck, shoulder and arm.

It’s probably caused by bad posture. I bought a better chair that will help, and I’ll try to be more aware of my posture in general.

Anyway, the treatment is electric muscle stimulation and a hot pad, followed by traction on the neck. I’ve got to have this treatment nearly every day for the next few weeks, then things should be much better.

The traction feels really nice. It’s not the kind where you sit up (apparently the harness for that puts strain on the TM joint). I lie down with my neck resting on a kind of gadget that has lumps that fit into the indents at the base of the skull. Then the machine rhythmically stretches my neck a little. It’s much more pleasant than it sounds.

If I hadn’t got checked up and put on this treatment program, I don’t think the problem would have got better on its own. So this really reinforces my opinion that with problems such as this, it’s important to get a qualified “western” anatomical diagnosis before having any kind of therapy, western or eastern.[/quote]
An update for anyone interested…

For a few months, I went for treatment almost every day, apart from a break at Chinese New Year. While the TENS/massage thing and the traction gave short-term relief, it took about four months before there was any real improvement. During that time, I had an MRI scan which confirmed that the cause of the numbness and tingling down my arm was compression between two vertebrae in the neck.

In the last couple of months, there has been a gradual improvement. I get the numbness far less often and much milder when it does occur. I still go for treatment twice a week, and the physical therapist says that I should continue to do this for some time. I will also try to be more diligent at practising the exercises she showed me, and I’m thinking of taking yoga classes.

So, while treatment has worked well for me, it’s been a long process. I’m hoping that others will read this cautionary tale and take steps to avoid problems in the first place!