CrankBros and bike parts in TW

Hey guys.
So I’m about to move to TW and am going to buy a 2nd hand time trial or road bike there.
Most are sold w out pedals from what I’ve seen. Or not the pedals I want
(I like the crankbros series. Have had several. Was thinking of getting Mallets of DH Mallets so I could use em to ride to school as well as go on longer rides)
Crank Bros is made in TW.
From what I remember ten years ago, I visited a huge junkyard like warehouse somewhere w a cycling friend full of “extra parts”
Many new. Derailures, pedals, etc.
Wasn’t really looking for parts than. Just accompanied for fun. But don’t remember where it was…
Anywho.
I can get some “new never used” or store model Mallet DH for $75-100usd on eBay. (they retail 240-300)
Have you guys seen these around TW?
How are prices?
The two (Chinese) cycling forums on FB I was recommended to join are great for bikes. But don’t really post parts

I’m open to other pedals options (I know Shimano and look make several) But do like being able to clip in from either side and having the flat pedal to be used with my regular shoes during the week. I’ve had plain eggbeaters and they are great for racing. But hurt if used w flip flops ;-p
I’ve never had traditional Shimano big plate road bike clip ons. But I also use Mountainbike shoes on my Roadbike so I can than more comfortably walk into a Cafe or wherever…

Suggestions/ideas?
Thanks!
-C

My suggestion is, buy a commuter bike and a weekend road/TT bike or just commute via mass transportation on the weekdays. It rains a lot and unless you got a shower at the office or near the office, sometimes it’s just too damn hot to be commuting.

If you don’t want to invest in two bikes, but still want to ride to work, (if you’re moving to Taipei), we have the Youbike bike share system which is awesome and boasts hundreds of locations around the city.

I’m not sure how well Crank Borthers pedals will work here, but I assume they aren’t really made for hill climbing and that’s what we mostly do here in Taiwan. Don’t get me wrong, there’s flat roads, but the greatness about Taiwan is having the hills so close to home and downtown areas. Nonetheless, some people have their own preferences.

I did a quick search and found brand new Mallet DH for roughly 160USD

https://shopee.tw/Crank-Brothers-Mallet-DH-Race-登山車卡踏-紅色-一對-i.982183.763526146

To add to your search of bike parts, there’s a lot of “fell off the truck” (no warranty) parts or just no name brand parts here in Taiwan that are a fraction of the price you get from a official retailers. For example:

I buy these cleats that work with the LOOK pedal system

https://shopee.tw/【速度公園】-EXUSTAR-公路車-LOOK-KEO-系統-卡踏扣片-鞋底板-灰色0度-E-BLK11-i.1873540.145047655

Whereas the LOOK branded cleats are almost twice as much, but have the same exact function.

https://shopee.tw/LOOK-KEO-Grip-Cletas-原廠防滑鞋底板-扣片-4.5度-i.7738338.487443408

1 Like

Surely they’re just another clipless pedal system, so how wouldn’t that be suitable for climbing? I recall the originals (eggbeaters??) were big on the MTB scene when I was more into that in the early/mid 2000s, and they were renowned for their simplicity and mud clearance ability (i.e. very open and less likely to be choked by mud), but there’s generally plenty of climbing on a decent cross-country ride. Main advantage for road use would be that you can walk around like a normal human being, rather than waddle around trying not to fall arse over tit on regular road cleats.

Speedplay Zero are dual-sided and have a platform attachment for using with regular shoes. Simple to take on and off without tools.

Thanks guys!
Yeah. I will def be on my quest for the mystery warehouse once I’m on the island…
Found these on eBay. But I like the Mallets better.
I love the speed plays. But the adapter platform feels cheap. And you have to carry it around

I have thought about having two bikes. I will be living in Tainan, so, less rain. But I end up riding the nicer bike all the time anyways… hence the mtnbk shoes.
N Cancun I would bike o work on m Cervelo p3 and shower there.
In tainanz I assume NCKU must have a gym. But I will likely live closer anyways… We will haveta see. Prioritizing parks and things for my little girls over my nearness to the language center

Tks for your input guys.
Any particular model Mountainbike Show you guys like?
I know back in the day there was a tennisshoe (looked like Vans) with a clip under it. Didn’t look very breathable. But def comfy

Oh wow. Been 15 years and “cycle touring” shoes have evolved.
Some look pretty decent

https://magazine.bikesoup.com/buyers-guide-commuter-touring-shoe-round/

I’ve got Crank Brothers pedals on all my bikes except for one, I’m a huge fan of their products, excellent product design. As far as I know Crank Brothers doesn’t have an official distributor here in Taiwan so finding their products locally is a bit difficult. I’ve only seen a few of their pedals at random local bike shops and the prices are too high. Online on local websites you’ll have slightly better chances, but the selection isn’t very good. I got lucky once on a local FB group and picked up a new pair of Candy 2’s for cheap, but that’s a one off.

My other pairs I’ve bought through international websites, specifically Amazon and Wiggle. Both sites had the best prices at the time and either free or very low price shipping. I’ve never had to pay customs fees since I ship via regular mail which customs doesn’t check as thoroughly, never ship via FedEx, DHL, or UPS, you’ll automatically pay the customs every time.

I’d recommend you take a look at the Doubleshot, it’s an excellent pedal. I’ve got them on my CX bike and they are perfect for commuting and weekend riding. As for shoes, I’m a fan of Shimano. They’re the best bang-for-the-buck and just simply do the job well. I use M089’s.

Here’s links to the two most useful local sites that I know about for picking up cycling stuff.

Ruten: Essentially the Taiwanese eBay

http://www.ruten.com.tw/

Local FB Group: A buy-sell cycling group

2 Likes

Awesome. Tks. Yes, I like that FB group
This one has some decent bikes sometime too
Usually less high end stuff. More regular affordable everyday riders