Crap TV signal on non-Taiwan TV

I have tried to hook up a TV we brought with us from Singapore. It is multi voltage and multi PAL & NTSC (2 systems) but when I tune it in the picture is not 100% and the sound is nothing but static.
I tried out my (Singapore) PC TV card also and got exactly the same result.
Our Taiwan sourced TV works fine. Both attempts were using the same TV jackpoint, and a tried a couple of different cables.

Is there some sort of special TV system here? Any suggestions?

[quote=“truant”]I have tried to hook up a TV we brought with us from Singapore. It is multi voltage and multi PAL & NTSC (2 systems) but when I tune it in the picture is not 100% and the sound is nothing but static.
I tried out my (Singapore) PC TV card also and got exactly the same result.
Our Taiwan sourced TV works fine. Both attempts were using the same TV jackpoint, and a tried a couple of different cables.

Is there some sort of special TV system here? Any suggestions?[/quote]

Does your TV have an RF system, sometimes you need to find the correct channel for the TV to tune itself in.

You can also look to see what NTSC settings your TV can decode.

What TV do you have?

It is a Sony 14" Wega PG14 P40.

It has PAL, NTSC 3.58 (AV IN), NTSC 4.43

Not sure about the RF set up as I have been using autotune per the instructions.

bump. This got lost in the mire of the change over when i thought I was about to find out the good gen.

Any clues if I can get this TV to recieve here?

PAL is not equal to PAL as there are subsystems for the audio carrier (PAL B, G, I, D …). Not certain if the same applies to NTSC, which is the broadcast standard here in Taiwan.

Here is an overview about the different standards - check against your TV’s manual: kropla.com/tv.htm

That the picture is not 100% may have nothing to do with that, it’s generally crap.

A friend of mine had an issue like this several years ago with a TV he bought in America, and he said it was the frequencies that the tuner allowed. He had to take the TV to a shop and get it “tuned” for Taiwan. Of course, that ruined it for use in America, unless he gets it tuned again. If you’re going to be moving a lot between countries, maybe you need to learn DIY TV tuning (I personally haven’t a clue how to do this).

good luck,
Robert

OK cheers guys, I might do a hunt for some info and get out my screwdriver

Yes, as I said above I think it will be the RF tuning. Sony TV’s should have them. There is only one mode for NTSC, unlike Pal which has a few systems.

Look in your TV manual for tuning RF.

Thanks Jim, I wasn’t sure if RF tuning was under the hood or not.

The TV manual is about 3 pages long, and contains trouble shooting stuff like “No picture: Make sure the TV is plugged in to a wall socket” etc :noway:

Talks about auto tuning and tuning each channel using PAL or NTSC, but no mention of RF tuning.

Got the same experience. My TV was supposed to accept NTSC via the video-in. Did that, but only got bad picture, no sound. Manual doesn’t say anything.
Call to Sony Service, they tell me, if it doesn’t work, the TV would be broken. Great!

You’d have thought Sony would be able to tweak it here. Bound to be a software thing, which has been set to fit in with Singapore communications law. I doubt very much that it’s anything to do with NTSC/PAL variations as a good TV like a Sony will take them all - even that mad French one that sounds like a disease (SECAM?).

Even if the RF tuner has been sealed, surely Sony here can set it to the correct frequencies? I presumed you’ve tried “factory reset”… Anyway surely an RF tuner is just a little card costing about NT$500?

The picture is always crap here, BTW. Your still watching 500 line NTSC sent down two bits of bell wire held together with sticky tape.

If you like your telly you should get one of Sat TV’s set ups. A mate of mine has it and it is the only way to go.

[quote=“hexuan”]You’d have thought Sony would be able to tweak it here. Bound to be a software thing, which has been set to fit in with Singapore communications law. I doubt very much that it’s anything to do with NTSC/PAL variations as a good TV like a Sony will take them all - even that mad French one that sounds like a disease (SECAM?).

Even if the RF tuner has been sealed, surely Sony here can set it to the correct frequencies? I presumed you’ve tried “factory reset”… Anyway surely an RF tuner is just a little card costing about NT$500?

The picture is always crap here, BTW. Your still watching 500 line NTSC sent down two bits of bell wire held together with sticky tape.

If you like your telly you should get one of Sat TV’s set ups. A mate of mine has it and it is the only way to go.[/quote]

You should find that RF Tuning for NTSC has to be with certain channel numbers. I look it up and see. It may also be in the manula but I think it’s channel 38 for your Sony.

Truant let me know where you live and perhaps I can swing by and take a look see. I’ve been able to get some other peoples gear up and running here.

Is everyone ready for the channel scramble come new year’s day?
Hope they put CNN on a real channel.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Is everyone ready for the channel scramble come new year’s day?
Hope they put CNN on a real channel.[/quote]

I am just hoping to get CNN, I don’t have it here and there is only one cable company in the area. :fume:

[quote=“Bassman”][quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Is everyone ready for the channel scramble come new year’s day?
Hope they put CNN on a real channel.[/quote]

I am just hoping to get CNN, I don’t have it here and there is only one cable company in the area. :fume:[/quote]

Didn’t you find that line of sight for 130 degrees south east?
Get one of my sat systems with no monthly fees