Crazy Story, Taxi driver held for sexual assault

This is definitely the opposite of the norm in Taiwan.

I saw this report via ETToday and was definitely a “gg” moment. As if Taiwan wasn’t seeing a decrease in tourists already.

Story doesn’t add up, why would the girl who didn’t drink the yogurt get off at Shilin without her friends/coworkers/classmates?

As per Apple Daily, she says that the driver told her he would park the car nearby and they could rest in the car. Seems they wer enot separated that long.

why not???
i don’t know if you have eve been on holiday and having your friends who just passiing out or dont want to do nothing special.
In my personal case, i just go and do my stuff
I understand that the girls have been drugged and i can only guess that the lady who went out had totally trust into that taxi driver.
And how to blame her? They hired a driver for a week… you need to be really Stupid to do what he’s done ( when proved guilty… still under investigation) especially when the girls may for sure have 100% of all his details.
jail time is awaiting for him

I have not been on holiday with friends that ended up passing out or don’t want to do anything special…since the 2000s. When we weren’t old enough to consume alcoholic beverages :smiley:

However, this was in the states and we just left the dude passed out in the hotel and the rest of us would drive off somewhere. Not in some taxi driver’s car. Different circumstances and different story.

Unfortunately this type of thing is not that unusual in Taiwan, it’s just not reported in English language news unless it involves foreigners. Spend an hour or so watched TVBS or any local TV news (not any longer or your head may explode) and see many variations.

Taiwan is relatively safe however not the mecca that some insulated expats think.

i knowww— same here.[quote=“ranlee, post:5, topic:157679”]
However, this was in the states and we just left the dude passed out in the hotel and the rest of us would drive off somewhere. Not in some taxi driver’s car. Different circumstances and different story.
[/quote]

that’s the thing. i feel here in Asia, it is a kind of naive way of thinking.
What i mean is that ‘‘things hapen only to others’’’ — u can refer on the amount of kids getting killed with scooters and i still didnt see a tv ad responsabilising the youth or educating the adults… ‘’‘‘it always happen to others’’’ kind of thinking.

Ans it is not ‘‘some taxi driver’s car’’ — they booked him for a week— it is more like a personal driver.

Exactly. When a huge portion of a 2-3 minute segment is reporting about the bad and half a min or so on prevention. What do you think the viewer is going to get out of it?! This isn’t Taiwan exclusive though, this is news in general. Always bad news and no good news.

True, they booked him online for a week. Some trust was bestowed upon him by the three tourists. I would probably trust him after a few days or so.

Do we have confirmation on whether he’s self owned, small cab company or one of the major ones like 55678? Story gets more interesting if he’s an employee of one of the major taxi companies in TW.

Car in pics looks like independent. No logos.

Guy was supposed to be parked nearby. One news bit says the girls wer eback at the hotel at 10pm. It was not as they were out all night. It would be a case of placing trust on a not trustworthy individual. I mean, how could she know that her friends had been drugged? She thought, they are just tired, I’ll get off and buy X that my pal Y asked me to buy for them, back on the car in 20 minutes, what could go wrong?

agree

There was not one news channel that wasn’t reporting this last night during the evening news. This smells game over for tourists coming to Taiwan.

…which is what they would like to see, actually. party lines are deep regarding TV news content.

Moreover, this is not the first -and probably not last- time something like this happens. At least one every 2 to 3 months there is a news piece about some Japanese female tourist in Jiufen/Beitou area raped by taxi cab driver. This one stands out because he was so brazen/careless/disgusting.

Why would Taiwan want less tourists? Thought Taiwan was pushing for tourist dollars.

Because a big drop in tourism under the new administration “proves” the KMT had better policies. They would rather have the country as a whole suffer if it can score them political points.

Th eproblem is that those tourist dollars are spread all over, not going to the pockets of just a few operators with connections in high places.

I am really ashamed of the tactics of those massive operators, for example, locking tourists in their exclusive “tax free” stores. I come from a fourth world country and even we do not do that -we charge tourists and locals alike 4 times value, that is what we do, but not that. That is not suited for a largely developed country like Taiwan. It does not suit it not a bit.

But the same people promoting those massive tourist industries are the smae ones who, as we say in Spanish, are used to the low lying mangoes of OEM manufacture, for example, and captive markets, and low costs at all cost, that according to them, promoted Taiwan’s success in the 80s. Problem is, that was last century, conditions nowadays are different, and most importantly, such practices are not suited for Taiwan nowadays. They add no further value and misue current resources, for sraters, not to mention downright illegal and demeaning and shameful.

So instead of improving -as it was said by someone elsewhere, how about high end tailored hotels? with volume, more quality? But no. The old structures prevail because when there are economic changes, there will be social and hence political changes. And the antiquated elites cannot have that.

I’m not too versed on those kinds of tours, but don’t they people in the tour actually sign up for those? Like, they know they’re going to a tax free store to buy “cheap” name brands?

Maybe. But I do not think it is spelled out that they will lower the iron courtains and not let people out until they buy something. That is definetively not kosher and has been denounced many times, along with the fact that the tour operator also owns the stores.

Locals have criticized that kind of tours openly. The tactic of selling “cheap” tours … only to “earn” the money back in “sales” is not kosher by local standards.

Some people in the industry get taken care of anyway, even by the current administration.

@Icon

When questioned by officers at the Shilin District Prosecutors’ Office on Saturday last week, Chan reportedly admitted to drugging three South Korean women, who had paid for a one-day tour package of the greater Taipei area by giving them tainted yoghurt drinks.

Turns out they paid for a one day tour package, not a full week.

The tourists put a little too much trust in their taxi driver that they met less than 12 hours ago.