Credit card application advice

I’m thinking of applying for a credit card from E. Sun bank because from what I’ve searched so far, it is the only bank that is connected to PayPal. One of my local friends suggested CTBC. Is it okay to get a credit card from E. Sun bank, or are there better options?

Some info about me:
-been here since November
-Ph D student at one of the universities in Tainan
-ARC card for studying
-renting an apartment outside of university
-salary is from scholarship and from part-time research assistant work. Won’t disclose the total amount but it’s just a bit higher than minimum wage

advice: don’t even bother going to the branch, just get the application forms and mail those to the credit card department (u have the posting slip for free delivery in the forms).

Attach copy of ur passport and ARC (which must have you residency address on), copy of the latest 3 months of your bankbook, maybe a copy of your scholarship agreement showing the payment conditions.

If they ask BS to u like guarantor or guarantee deposits since you are a foreigner give them the “finger” and tell them they r infringing the Financial Consumer Protection Act, if they do not relent, just send a complaint to the FSC via the below link (can be done in English):
https://fscmail.fsc.gov.tw/POP30/

Avoid CTBC, they r nonsensical. Esun it’s fine.

6 Likes

where is your scholarship deposited? usually the same bank will be easier to issue a credit card since they have all your information already. worth checking.

Chunghwa Post Office.

then never mind, you can try Esun.
American express also are relatively foreigner friendly.

1 Like

just copy 3 months worth of the bankbook and u r done.

Unless you do a lot of business through Paypal, I wouldn’t bother. You can’t use it to pay for things in Taiwan and if you have a non-Taiwan Paypal account you can still use it. If your salary is just over minimum wage, I’m not sure I’d bother either, though you may get approved. You might be better off getting a debit card. I’m pretty sure CTBC has them, probably Esun, and I think most others.

Post office has debit visa card with ipass function too.

CTBC has line debit visa cards, but u need to have a ctbc account.

1 Like

Though not credit card info exactly, just want to share that I experience problems using my ESUN visa debit card in some online platforms. In case you want to look into VISA debit card options I highly recommend Taipei Fubon. They work in all online services I’ve paid for and was also able to use its ATM function in my home country—not that it’s important but handy.

But I can use PayPal to transfer money abroad right?

Also, I need a credit card because we usually shoulder some expenses first for business trips and the reimbursements take 2-3 months to be processed.

Is there an advantage to iPass over EasyCard? EasyCard gives a discount when you use it over a certain amount for public transport, and also a discount on transfers. Switching from a bus to a YouBike is basically free for a short trip.

I know you can transfer money to your Esun account from Paypal, but I don’t know if you can transfer from an Esun account to Paypal, and on to another account.

Don’t! CTBC is among the worst.

Esun is good. The app is all in English and easy to use.

I also doubt you’ll get a credit card… Many banks exclude even Taiwanese students without their parents acting as a guarantor…

That being said… one card I recommend is the 玉山UBear信用卡 - 玉山銀行 You get 13% off on Disney+, Nintendo, PlayStation, Netflix, and Spotify

The yellow one has easycard linked while the black one looks so cool! (but doesn’t have easycard)

1 Like

You don’t need to have your credit card with E.Sun just because they’re your only option for PayPal though, right? I think PayPal is linked to a bank account with them, not a credit card.

PayPal also isn’t a great option for transferring money abroad, unless they’ve drastically reduced their fees since I last used it (several years ago).

1 Like

Yeah I’m rethinking my options. Maybe I can consider the bank where my salary and scholarship are deposited (Chunghwa Post). Although some people have also mentioned that E. Sun is good.

And yeah maybe PayPal isn’t really that good for transferring money abroad.

Esun has a good app and also allows you to invest in ETFs using English all in the one app!

CTBC gives you a dodgy ID number on each of your bank and card forcing you to logout and log back in. It also means theeir credit cards and bank accounts don’t work for things that need your ID number… I.E online car insurance with most banks…

You also have annoyances paying your card but it can be overcome with a makeshift method of using the interbank transfer system and setting your card number as the account.

It is so bad that as of last week I filed a Financial Ombudsman complaint

1 Like

Post office doesn’t have credit cards, only debit. Here they don’t care that much if u have an account with them or not, it is not a requirement. But u must have at least 3 months of deposits history.

No advantage, ipass is the easycard of Kaohsiung. Post office offers debit card eith ipass function embedded and also with easycard if u want, I liked the cardface of the ipass version more haha.

I’m not sure about that “must” - I just got a credit card with Mega Bank without providing this. I didn’t need to show them any proof of money in accounts or a history of regular deposits, just gave them my tax filing receipt for last year.

I do have a bank account with them but it’s not one I use often. There was a relatively small amount of money in there at the time of application (about US$1500 + NT$6000) because I’d just done a transfer, but for the previous >6 months the balance was essentially zero.

Though I think it might have been easier because I applied through that specific scheme for gold card holders, and it seems like the requirements may be less stringent.

So, little secret for Mega about the gold card application: they basically don’t check, they just approve since “gov already deemed them special, who r we to say otherwise?”.

Otherwise it is required and they will ask for it or straight reject. With esun had even to provide the payslips, the estatements from hsbc were not enough for them.

That works for me. As long as it was approved, I don’t need to see how the chicken nuggets are made. Just saying I didn’t need it.

Was intending to apply with one of the other listed banks I don’t have an account with (maybe Huanan or First, not sure yet). Will see whether they ask or not.

Update: My credit card application failed due to three reasons:

1. I have a student visa, apparently they don’t care even though I’m a doctorate student.
  2. My sources of income are from scholarship and part-time job at the uni, but they don’t consider the former as legit.
  3. My ARC only lasts for a year (needs to be renewed annually) so they’re thinking that I’m not going to stay here for a long time.

Fortunately, my sister was issued with a Platinum AmEx by our bank from my home country, so I’m using it for the meantime. She also applied for a supplementary card for me.

1 Like