Credit Card installments

Hi all!

I am looking to buy some furniture at Ikea. They offer 12 interest free inslallments if you spend 30’000 or more.

So my question is: do they take the entire 30’000 from the credit card, or do they take 2500 every month?

The thing I don’t quite understand is how ikea is offering interest free installments if I’m paying back the bank…

Does anyone have experience with this?
Thank you in advance! :cherry_blossom:

It’s a common arrangement here. They do it in cooperation with the bank. I guess the short answer to “why” is “because it helps them make money”. More Ikea stuff sold.

2 Likes

I did purchase something on similar terms a few years ago. They take 2500 per month. The problem is that 30000 gets deducted from your credit limit in the first month and that only decreases by 2500 per month. So if you plan any larger purchases in the future (e.g. flight tickets), you might end up in a situation of not being able to pay due to not having enough credit.

6 Likes

Whatever “interest” cost there may or may not be is “baked” into the price you are paying for the “interest-free” deal.
All kinds of appliance/electronics/automobile makers do it all the time in the US, and many for 24 or 36 months.

They do this here too. Basically there’s a “fee” added onto the purchase price for this.

Not with IKEA, but I have done it several times with online purchases when zero-interest payments were offered, and have never been charged an interest or a fee. Just make sure you read the find print first and pay the installments on time.

Note that when I’ve paid by installments, I didn’t get the credit card points, which may or may not factor into your decision.

2 Likes