Credit Card Success Stories - Share Your Timeline & Application Details

3 banks gave me $10k although eventually 2 raised it. 1 bank just refuses to go above 10k
It’s OK I use it for gas every few months to keep it alive

1 Like

Does anyone here had success with Bank of Taiwan? It’s where I keep my savings so thought it might be good to try there.

Bank of Taiwan was always elusive, but then again this was years ago.
The branch would let me fill out the documents and the next week the credit card department would send them back with an excuse and said to wait a year. The next year they cocked up another excuse.
I tried 5 times and said forget it. Their cards rewards are also not compelling either. I didn’t feel that they are foreign friendly but they are smart enough to not say it’s because you are a foreigner.

But give it a try and report back if you’re successful, things may have changed

2 Likes

I agree with you, BoT not an enticing bank for cards tbh, I will still try one for science with them.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks for the info. Any branch you’d recommend?

1 Like

CTBC just declined to increase my limit, what a joke. Will check the Fubon J card instead. Will most likely cancel this card.

5 Likes

Did they give a reason?

2 Likes

Nah, they’re just useless

4 Likes

I went to the one in Kaohsiung in Lingya. Honestly the branches are nice enough and will actually take your application and send it out.
The problem starts when Taipei sends it back with an excuse.

BoT is also not a bank where you can just grab the application and mail it in yourself. If you do that they will send it back to you and say to go to a branch. Give it a whirl for science

1 Like

Lodge a complaint to the FSC and see where it goes.

But mind you they gave me 180,000 on my first one with them

On this I will not pursue. It’s their commercial decision whether to increase or not. I’ll show my dislike with closing the card soon

2 Likes

Now it says “may request”.

Same for chinese version (checking just in case).

zh

But they still require foreign permanent address, and sign up bonus is still not present in english version.

5 Likes

Yeah hsbc required I give them a Canadian address, despite I haven’t lived there for 15 years. When I pushed back on it the agent eventually said just give any address, they won’t send mail there, so I gave them the address of the Taipei embassy

And the agent advised me to split credit with an existing card rather than apply for a new card with new credit

3 Likes

It worked then

similar thing happened to me with First Bank.

1 Like

They didn’t ask me a foreign address when I applied. Maybe they changed

their insistence that i provide a foreign address was just the prelud to rejecting my application.

I applied at the HSBC shilin branch

1 Like

I don’t know why people care so much about limits. My CTBC is only NT$30k as I never bothered to increase it. My Cathay Card is NT$60,000.

I just top them up if used if I need a higher amount I just put more money on the card.
I do have another card from overseas a limit that would exceed anything I would ever use it for.

I’ve even got a $10k card. Works ok for small purchases, I use a different one for booking plane tickets.

1 Like