Credit Card Success Stories - Share Your Timeline & Application Details

Complain to the FSC stating that other banks give much higher limits and see where that goes. I would be curious to see the response

I think that some of these banks consult their crystal balls when it come to foreign people applying for cards. Maybe it depends on their mood that day? Every bank seems do have their own strange policies when dealing with 外國人.

I agree with that. I too would just find a better bank to do business with.

1 Like

Probably like most cards can simply up the limit online. Worth having for an 8% discount on CI flights though.

I tried to apply online for the same card, the website wouldn’t accept the new ARC format.

Hey thanks for that. I just applied online. Put in my Taiwan ID number, CI already has my name and other details in their system as I fly them. Not always though. I also have a China Trust card but rarely use it mostly use my Cathay card.

Let you know how my online application goes. up to 18% off

https://bookingportal.china-airlines.com/eRetailInterface/CTBCCoBrand.aspx?lang=en-US

Tried, declined

Well… easy peasy for citizens🤣

Citizenship does have its advantages :slight_smile: That’s why I became one here in the 1990’s.
Got a message they will contact me tomorrow.

1 Like

Not saying anything to u indeed, it’s the system. But eventually something will change, as it already did

1 Like

No ARC is accepted at present at any bank to apply online for credit cards. Only Amex allow foreigners to apply online, but it is not a bank technically speaking. So u either apply at a branch (the least effective way, most tine they just bin the application since too mafan to assist foreigners) or mail in the application form with all supporting docs.

CTBC is among the worst offenders since doesn’t even let us foreigners to use the ARC number as ID number like most other banks.

I had to got to China Trust bank to apply for my credit card years ago. I have not applied for any card for years. My last loan was a car loan over 7 years ago. So I was totally surprised how easy it was to apply online. This is my first online application

PITA for those having to physically go to a bank cause when I went to China Trust they took a long time to get anything done.

Yeah that’s shitty. You’d think they would sort the ID number for ARC’s by now.

1 Like

All due to inability to automatically check with NIA the validity of ARC numbers via API call like it’s done with id cards. Must be done manually on a specific portal by an operator (or even on the phone. Cathay united did that when I open the account with them last year since that specific branch never saw an employment gold card and thought it was a bogus ARC…)

WTF? Although it has happened that people thought I had a fake ID card back in the day. Also when I went to China they were why is there a white dude in the compatriot area… must be fake documents lol

You should do what Fuzzy did, chuck his gold card and naturalize :slight_smile: I heartily recommend it.

1 Like

working on it. As soon as the slow folks at FSC let my company start working in TW, will apply first to the plum blossom card and then will naturalise as a senior foreign professional, so don’t need to give up my Italian citizenship.

That’s plan A, plan B, well, will need to wait a bit more.

1 Like

Dang, can’t you be more like us mere mortals and renounce lol. Renunciation is good for the soul. To be cursed with such a choice is great. No way for me to resume when I renounced but Italians can resume citizenship.

Nope, matter of principle and equality

Ah yes the famed principal and it’s not fair argument lol

Company: E.sun Bank
Card applied for: Starlux World Mastercard
Date of application: 24-Mar-2023
Date of approval: 27-Apr-2023
Date of arrival: 2-May-2023
Time from application to card recieved: More than a month
Guarantor required? No, eventually
Secured deposit required? No, but they tried to ask at first to give them 1M TWD
Apply where? Branch, there is still no application form available anywhere for foreigners, the teller, after a long call with HQ, literally took a random application form, crossed it out and handwrote “application for Starlux World Card”
Credit limit given: $450,000
Supporting documents provided:

Scan of ARC (front and back)
Scan of passport
Copies of 6 months of HSBC statements
Copies of 6 months of payslips
Employment contract

It was a tough one since had to go so many times to branch (which btw, the Nanjing East Road in Taipei has very nice and helpful staff), people didn’t know what to do, I guess I’m probably the first foreigner who applied for this card. The most annoying part was when they kept asking for passbook copies, which HSBC doesn’t have, and then proof of funds (which are nowhere requested in their materials) and then even tried to play the guarantor card. I was furious at that time. Only after I provided the payslips from my company in HK, they relented and approved the day after.

Good limit though, the highest so far among my cards and I didn’t even have an account with them (now yes, opened just for easier repayments and money transfers with the family, all with E.sun).

4 Likes