Credit cards

Hello,

I want to take a credit card. Please suggest which are the best to use in Hsinchi and Taipei cities.

You mean you want to apply for a credit card, right??! I think all credit cards can be use in Taiwan. I heard Tai-Shi Bank’s is really good, and HSBC. If you like to shop in Sogos, then it would be a good idea to get their CC since you can get discounts when you buy stuff from them.

Wait, who am I to give advices when I don’t even have one myself!! :blush:

Hi thanks for info however i am interested in knowing what are the requirements to get one such as salary, position etc?

There is no requirement, all you need is to fill out the application and give them a copy of your ID, and you are set. You can be a poor student to apply for a CC. The limite of your CC depends on your working experiences, salary…etc, but it won’t be a reason to reject your application unless you have bad credit!

Usree - my story…

HSBC - very good. I received credit to the equivalent of 2 months salary. I simply filled in their form and sent it off. It required a local reference (NOT a guarantor).

Their requirements are a steady job and ARC and a few others.

It helped me having a local spouse (I assume so anyway).

If only I hadnt thrown away the HSBC staff member details who helped me, she was great. Will try and dig it out and post her number here.

Hi thanks for info however i am interested in knowing what are the requirements to get one such as salary, position etc?

The requirements depend on what type of card you want, and what bank it comes from. As a ballpark figure, I remember that one bank wanted an annual salary of NT$400000 for a platinum card.

If you don’t have Taiwan citizenship, you will need a Taiwanese citizen who will act as your guarantor, and their credit rating/salary/details also have to meet the eligibility requirements for the card that you want. In addition to the guarantor thing, the requirements are usually higher and stricter for non-citizens.

There is an entire thread on credit cards, guarantors, etc. here:

http://forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=3632

Anybody know of any banks in Taiwan that have credit cards that offer cash rebates as a reward system?

There are tonnes of cards out there that offer points, discounts, charitable donations etc etc but I want cold hard cash on my spending power :smiley:

Usreee - if we havent give you the info you need pls explain in more details what you are looking for.

You requested “the requirements to get one such as salary, position etc?”

What does this mean?

Thanks all

I got the info I wanted. someone told me that its difficult to get a credit card as a foreigner ? so well its clear now why or how it would be difficult.

then perhaps you could share and post the info here so people in thge future can find such info.

Bump…

I’m looking for a credit card myself… does anyone have any suggestions on which card to go for? Like Gener, a card that gives CASH rather than points would be preferable.

Thanks!

I think a platinum card needs an annual salary of over 1 million NT. That’ll get you around NT$200,000 to NT$250,000 worth of credit a month. The NT$400,000 salary requirement sounds like a gold card, and credit line for that should be around NT$100K to 200K.

A normal card’s credit line is <<NT$100K…

I think a platinum card needs an annual salary of over 1 million NT. That’ll get you around NT$200,000 to NT$250,000 worth of credit a month. The NT$400,000 salary requirement sounds like a gold card, and credit line for that should be around NT$100K to 200K.

A normal card’s credit line is <<NT$100K…[/quote]

I can’t remember which bank it was, but when I asked, they said annual salary NT$400,000. If the requirement was NT$1,000,000, then a lot of people who currently have platinum cards wouldn’t have them.

Do a search, there is another thread somewhere in the living in Taiwan forum that addresses foreigners getting credit cards!

Perhaps they’ve lowered the requirements? I asked when the platinum cards first came out, and that was the required salary level. They probably lowered the requirements for more business, but I’ll bet the awards you get are now watered-down as well.