Credit in Taiwan

I could do that.

If it absolutely had to be a Saturday I could try to squeeze it in between my thesis writing, but I’d have to bring my boyfriend along with me. :s

Wouldn’t it be better to get as many people to come as possible? Even though weekends are not the most convenient time for me I agree that they are for most people. Also giving a fair bit of notice would make sense rather than rushing things. Remember not all of us live in Taibei, but it is not impossible to go there if we have enough notice. I guess I could make a Wed evening meeting too though. I personally would like to get as many foriegners involved as possible. In my time here I have met foreigners from a number of other countries who spoke Chinese, but not Enlglish. Some of them might be quite helpfull as quite a few of them were very good at speaking Chinese. Not sure how we could round up such people into coming though.

I can do weekday evenings except Friday, and weekends (usually). Loretta can you keep me in touch by phone? Busy at work (for once) ! (But obviously not so as to preclude from posting here ha ha!)

Amex have been great with me so far. Very impressed.

If this meeting gets pushed out past the 20th, I can attend as well.

I’m going to be distracted by boat racing over the next couple of weeks. Let’s aim for the weekend of 7-8 May. Any preferences regarding day? I’m easy, but Sunday afternoon sounds good.

Also, I’ve shifted the wider discussion to the living in Taiwan forum: [Advocating change

Keep the ideas coming guys. I think it’s time to take some action.

I had no idea this thread was still going…I guess that I’d somehow been bumped off the list for notification about it.
I’ve got lots more to update as far as CCs and credit are concerned, but I’m too busy with moving this week to get into it now.
I’ applied for and reicieved an HSBC gold MC, and found out that it is possible for foreigners to obtain business loans as long as they have means of showing stable income for several years and banking history.
I would say that I got the card due to my letter to MC and Visa International.

Either way, I guess I’ll have to post or check in again next week.

The ghost of Hexuan visited me in a dream and reminded me about this thread.

Sunday 8th? After lunch, say 2pm?

[quote=“Loretta”]The ghost of Hexuan visited me in a dream and reminded me about this thread.

Sunday 8th? After lunch, say 2pm?[/quote]
That’s Mother’s Day! :noway:

:unamused:
I don’t have a mother, not in Taiwan.

But since no-one else has indicated that they’re going I guess we’ll have to postpone.

I’m cutting this thread loose to make room for the next one.

There’s a lot of ideas about what sort of campaign to mount, but apparently no chance of finding a date that suits everyone. Suggestions?

I too was turned down for every credit card I applied for (HSBC, China Trust) until I threatened to withdraw all of my money from the bank where my pay is deposited unless they gave me a credit card.

I had one two weeks later.

Have any of you tried that?

Does that work if you wanted to start a bank account? They wouldn’t open one for me unless I got a residence permit.

No, in order for that to work, you need to have an account already.

Otherwise, you have nothing to bargain with. Also, I’d had the account for 2 years, had a decent balance and salary.

I just applied for a CC from Shanghai bank and they have told me it has gone through without a guarantor or anything. Just waiting for the card now…

Elias