Criminal Record Check



I’m a British citizen in Taiwan applying for a teaching job here and I now know I need to have a criminal record check from the UK. Does anyone have any idea how I go about this process without needing to go all the way back to the UK? I spoke to the British Trade Office in Taipei about it but they said they don’t deal with this issue. I assume a local police station here will only be able to provide me with a Taiwanese check.

Thanks in advance


There are other threads on this topic, but I’ll give my quick 2 cents.
I needed one when I had to get married, and had my mother call up the local state police (in the U.S.) to handle it. She was able to do it for my name.

Perhaps someone back in the UK can do something similar on your behalf.
I presume they would then have to go to the TECO (whatever the quasi-Taiwan embassy is called in London) to get it authenticated/stamped and then mail it to you in Taiwan. These criminal records are good for 90 days (meaning to use them for application in Taiwan before those 90 days are up; else you have to get a new one).


Check out:

“ACRO issues Police Certificates to people who want to emigrate to, or obtain a visa for, countries including Australia, Belgium, Canada, Cayman Islands, New Zealand, South Africa and the United States of America.”

A list of everything it covers:


Thanks for the reply. I’m applying through ACRO, but I’m not sure yet whether I then need to get it stamped by the Taiwan “embassy” in the UK or not. Do most people have to do that?


Thanks, Do you know, by any chance, if it then has to be stamped by the Taipei Office in the UK?


what typically happens, is that the documents are in English.
You take whatever documents are needed and go to Taiwan “embassy” to have them “notarize” them with a government stamp, saying the English version states what needs to be stated (for criminal or marriage purposes). Thus, the Taiwan office in Taiwan will then accept the document with that UK Taiwan stamp of approval.


OK got it, thanks.