Criminal suspect fleeing to China?

Is there a reason why anytime I watch the news some suspect wanted for something, or having just committed a crime (like the recent drive by shooting), would flee to china? Does china not honor extradition with taiwan? I know for a fact that china would extradite suspect to taiwan, or at least punish them more harshly than taiwan. Couldn’t they flee to some other third world countries where they are far less likely to honor extradition from Taiwan?

Hiding in China is easier. Except now, when you end up in quarantine.

I mean it’s like suspect fleeing to Mexico from the USA. They have extradition treaties…

I doubt China will send a criminal back here, it will be admitting Taiwanese sovereignty.
second, it will be easier for a Taiwanese to hide in China.

1 Like

They do actually extradite people sometimes, it seems, although less so in recent years. I was surprised too:

In 2009, Beijing and Taipei signed a further agreement that institutionalized cross-strait crime-fighting and mutual legal assistance, covering “narcotics, smuggling, money laundering, fraud, corruption and other economic crimes.”Since then, Taiwan has received 502 suspected criminals from China, according to data provided by Taiwan’s Ministry of Justice.

Previous high-profile extradition cases include Taiwan’s former judge Lee Dong-ying, who fled to China’s southern Guangdong province after being convicted of corruption in Taiwan, and Chen Yung-chih, a top wanted criminal who was involved in at least five shootings on the island.

China, on the other hand, has received 21 people from Taiwan, according to the island’s Ministry of Justice.

But relations between Beijing and Taipei have grown frosty since Tsai Ing-wen from the traditionally pro-independence Democratic Progressive Party became Taiwan’s President in 2016. And with it, the number of cross-strait extraditions have also plummeted.

In 2015, Beijing handed over 63 wanted fugitives to Taipei. That number plunged to 17 the next year, and has been on the decline ever since. Last year, only four suspects were returned to Taiwan from China.And this year, as of September, not a single suspect has been extradited.